Why do original Cummins water pumps only last 80K

Every Cummins I've owned only goes 80-100K on the original water pump.   Seems like a short life to me.   

I'm over in Central Oregon tonight and my truck smells of coolant every time I get out.   It's been a little low on coolant recently, according to the warning light, so I topped it off last week when I changed the oil, but today I started smelling coolant.    

I hauled a big load of tire chain over for some skidders and plan to pick up hay tomorrow and haul home.   I hope it makes it back, but if not, there is a water pump in my toolbox.   I bought it and put it in last year when I went to Texas because I don't trust these water pumps after about 50K.  If Napa is open in the morning I'll stop and buy some coolant to go with it.

Yea, my 99 still had the factory pump at 250K...  I only changed the coolant once at 100K - 50/50 Zerex G05 and distilled water.  It lasted longer than the engine.

I’ve done one in my 04.5, 05 and now my 17 is losing coolant somewhere.  I assume water pump.   I’m loaded at 31,500 gross right now and hoping to get this home today then I can do it if that’s where it’s leaking.  They’re easy to change.  

It’s interesting my 95 was over 150k when I replaced it my 99 had 380k never touched only changed antifreeze when I did head gasket my 10 is sitting around 175k haven’t seen it leaking 

I've noticed short water pump life in 6.7 trucks. The only thing I can think of is coolant. Upon testing the pH... the two trucks I tested were in the 5.5-6 range. 

I've tested my theory on a few rigs.... a few have gone 100k plus more miles without issue. pH tests have come back 9-10. 

Final Charge Global is my go to coolant for severe duty. 

It's not definitive.... but at least use dip strips to see what condition your coolant is in. 

23 minutes ago, marksmith said:

I've noticed short water pump life in 6.7 trucks. The only thing I can think of is coolant. Upon testing the pH... the two trucks I tested were in the 5.5-6 range. 

I've tested my theory on a few rigs.... a few have gone 100k plus more miles without issue. pH tests have come back 9-10. 

Final Charge Global is my go to coolant for severe duty. 

It's not definitive.... but at least use dip strips to see what condition your coolant is in. 

Interesting my thinking is the coolant only touches the seal on the water pump until failure then it leaks through the seal into the bearings and out the weep hole I wonder if the ph or some other factor in coolant makes the seal hard kinda like the bleach tabs in toilet tank destroy the flapper making them leak

2 minutes ago, J Dansie said:

Interesting my thinking is the coolant only touches the seal on the water pump until failure then it leaks through the seal into the bearings and out the weep hole I wonder if the ph or some other factor in coolant makes the seal hard kinda like the bleach tabs in toilet tank destroy the flapper making them leak

That's possible. I am thinking pitting caused by acidity and failing anti corrosion additives are making a smooth seal surface rough, tearing up the seal. 

• Like 1