I need to set up my Dodge for a 5th Wheel. School me

On 1/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, Bob V said:

This is a newer companion with a nice cover in West linn for $550, might be able to grt it for $500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4128722790490751/?ref=facebook_story_share

I need to pay attention better. Luckily Bob knows me all too well and called me. LOL!

Look familiar??? Thanks again Bob!

00A15BED-34AC-4BA9-8263-566920BF4AC2.jpeg

093CC5C8-8867-416B-89F9-D88DCD200AEC.jpeg

I have no idea why my Ipad insists on turning the pictures sideways....

Is this the 20K base? I need to read through the set up of it.

Also, do you guys know if I am going to have issues with the height of my truck and getting a 5th wheel? It doesn't have a lift, only D25's int he front.

Not I need to get the bed kit.... one thing at a time. But this was the first part of the puzzle. Now I have a path.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Bulldog said:

It's not as fancy as the other one posted here or as beefy, but here it is. 

Price could be right for you though. 

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Thank you very much Rusty. I appreciate the offer. I think going with the B&W is the way forward for me. Only because then the truck will be capable of towing almost any type of trailer then. I have spent the last 13 years building some one the ultimate tow vehicle. LMAO!

There will be adjustments on the height of the hitch , your leveling kit probably made a slight lowering of the bed at the same time as lifting the front . And most fifth wheel king pin boxes also have a lil bit of height adjustment .

a fifth wheel with 16” tires if you can find one in your price range is also very desirable . Helps in many ways , trailer to truck heights , adjustments, load capacities , trailer heights etc . 

If ordering new ??? 50 amp electric service ( availability to have two air conditioners especially in longer units. If I was buying new also I’d try for disc brakes !!!  HEAVIER AXLES than factory stock low rate ones ( most trailers have just enough to get by with and no room left for whatever) . Large photo cell for battery charging ( as large as you can)  needed for boon docking long stays unless u have Honda’s  which can be a PIA as well as very desirable lol

do your homework on options , makes life so much nicer after purchase. Also many times options are available but not listed .... on my trailer for example the dealer said 50 amp service wasn’t an option but in fact it was .. second air conditioning unit would have been VERY DESIRABLE in my 34’ er as the vents are not well done and bed area is very lacking both heat and cooling.

Oh also air unit to be heat pump type v/s air only would be desirable ( had it both ways and heat pump is better when in RV parks or on gen sets. Better distribution on heat/air ) 

sorry for book , just something’s learned by trial and error here. 

Edited by GTroyer

Ben its hard to see but the weight rating should be on the yellow tag, its in small print so you have to look hard for it.

You can also get the model number from the yellow tag and do a search.

This is the tag, the capacity is right next to the model and serial numbers in fine print.

Did some more looking, your tag is different, the rating is still there just at the top, second box.

I am sure you found it by now. 

O believe all of this series tirltches are 20,000 GTWR

20210109_081036.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

I need to pay attention better. Luckily Bob knows me all too well and called me. LOL!

Look familiar??? Thanks again Bob!

00A15BED-34AC-4BA9-8263-566920BF4AC2.jpeg

093CC5C8-8867-416B-89F9-D88DCD200AEC.jpeg

I have no idea why my Ipad insists on turning the pictures sideways....

Is this the 20K base? I need to read through the set up of it.

Also, do you guys know if I am going to have issues with the height of my truck and getting a 5th wheel? It doesn't have a lift, only D25's int he front.

Not I need to get the bed kit.... one thing at a time. But this was the first part of the puzzle. Now I have a path.

Android!!!!!😁

With the base pads toward the inside, I'd say 20K. My old 18K has the base pads toward the outside. Also,  if the post that goes to the frame part has an L shape, it is 20K. The 18K just has a straight post that has two U clamps to hold it all together.

The newest RV’s come with glycol systems to heat the floor and hot water on demand.

new ac units are whisper quiet and big rv’s now have three smaller ac units 

i like the idea of no heat vents in the floor. Heated floors

Several are available with fully independent suspensions, disk brakes and air ride pin boxes.

Another thing that they’ve finally started doing more often is a water manifold in the wet bay so if there’s a leak you can isolate it without shutting off all the water.

More battery trays.
Some no longer use fibreglass sides.

roof material has changed

Stairs are rigid that fold up into the rig.

Boredom and YouTube has found me learning lots about the newest rigs out there. 

Oh and residential appliances are now common. 

Forgot another big one. 360 furrion camera systems that work with trucks equipped with this feature. Plug in the trailer and you can see the surrounding areas in the truck display. 

I noticed some trucks also have a wheel on the dash for steering/backing up a trailer with the camera system. You don’t use the steering wheel. I doubt that feature would be of interest to most of us old school folk.

Edited by Scotty_
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Scotty_ said:

The newest RV’s come with glycol systems to heat the floor and hot water on demand.

new ac units are whisper quiet and big rv’s now have three smaller ac units 

i like the idea of no heat vents in the floor. Heated floors

Several are available with fully independent suspensions, disk brakes and air ride pin boxes.

Another thing that they’ve finally started doing more often is a water manifold in the wet bay so if there’s a leak you can isolate it without shutting off all the water.

More battery trays.
Some no longer use fibreglass sides.

roof material has changed

Stairs are rigid that fold up into the rig.

Boredom and YouTube has found me learning lots about the newest rigs out there. 

Oh and residential appliances are now common. 

Forgot another big one. 360 furrion camera systems that work with trucks equipped with this feature. Plug in the trailer and you can see the surrounding areas in the truck display. 

I noticed some trucks also have a wheel on the dash for steering/backing up a trailer with the camera system. You don’t use the steering wheel. I doubt that feature would be of interest to most of us old school folk.

I have been asking about heated floors for a couple of years. Obviously, talking to the wrong people. 

Any specific brands you are referring to? 

27 minutes ago, David S said:

I have been asking about heated floors for a couple of years. Obviously, talking to the wrong people. 

Any specific brands you are referring to? 

I’ll look at the videos here and let you know

There are several new manufacturers and cannot recall their names off hand.

• Like 1