4th gen fuel filter change

My filter minder say's 37%

Probably end up changing the filter this spring or summer.  (gotta start planning :right:)

Special toolz?  I remember something about Geno's garage.  

Anything special about changing it?

Looks like Rockauto beats Geno's for filter prices by a few bucks if it's Mopar filters your after.  If Wix and Baldwin tickle you fancy, then they're even cheaper...

I probably ought to call Cummins next week - but it appears that a Mopar 68157291 crosses to a Fleetguard FS53000 and the Mopar 68197867 crosses to a Fleetguard FS20089??  

Had the dealer do both of mine last wednesday.  Based off of the mess they were cleaning off their floor when they were done, better their garage than mine.  Truck still smells like raw diesel.

I just did my friend's 2017 today. Up on the lift the back one is easy and no mess in a zip lock. The engine filter is a mess just like the second gen factory filter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have done a couple sets of those fuel filters. I put absorbant pads on the driveline and spin the filter off without opening the water drain. As for the engine filter. I have found if you drain the fuel filter housing and then pull the filter up and let it sit to allow the fuel to drain out of the filter some, it does not quite make as bad of a mess.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

I have done a couple sets of those fuel filters. I put absorbant pads on the driveline and spin the filter off without opening the water drain. As for the engine filter. I have found if you drain the fuel filter housing and then pull the filter up and let it sit to allow the fuel to drain out of the filter some, it does not quite make as bad of a mess.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

yeppers on the engine fuel filter// i let it sit for a bit.. minimal mess.  engine oil filter i remove the air filter tube and fish it out without any mess. after installing the matco filter cap..

• Like 1

Just did mine a couple weeks ago. On the floor in the garage. First off I have the wrench for the rear filter that works perfect.  For the front engine one I bought the short 22mm socket. A neat tip I found on one video was to use long extension coming down from above just behind the wire loom. It's an almost straight line so not so much worry of messing up the cap. On the rear I had cut open a plastic gallon milk jug and stuffed it up over the driveshaft and drained it via the water drain. The bad part came when it was time to remove the jug full of fuel. Yup, it spilt all over me. But it was out and getting the new one in was easy.  The front one I got a ketchup bottle out of the recycle bin and was able to get it up to the end of the drain tube. Opened the water drain and it emptied the fuel bowl and had just enough room in the ketchup bottle. That one came out without spilling and making a mess.  Having the wrench and socket makes it an easy job, just messy.

The following week one of my teammates was complaining on our daily call that with his wife and daughters at home for the holidays his house smelled like hair spray and perfume. I told him the remedy was to get a real diesel truck and then do a fuel filter change.  That would reestablish his male dominance in his household. My boss who has a Ford said just make sure to throw away the clothes you wore. Said he threw his in the wash and his wife then added more and washed them all together. Everything gets the diesel smell. Mine are still airing out after two washes on the sanitize cycle.

Doug

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Fuzzy Bear said:

Just did mine a couple weeks ago. On the floor in the garage. First off I have the wrench for the rear filter that works perfect.  For the front engine one I bought the short 22mm socket. A neat tip I found on one video was to use long extension coming down from above just behind the wire loom. It's an almost straight line so not so much worry of messing up the cap. On the rear I had cut open a plastic gallon milk jug and stuffed it up over the driveshaft and drained it via the water drain. The bad part came when it was time to remove the jug full of fuel. Yup, it spilt all over me. But it was out and getting the new one in was easy.  The front one I got a ketchup bottle out of the recycle bin and was able to get it up to the end of the drain tube. Opened the water drain and it emptied the fuel bowl and had just enough room in the ketchup bottle. That one came out without spilling and making a mess.  Having the wrench and socket makes it an easy job, just messy.

The following week one of my teammates was complaining on our daily call that with his wife and daughters at home for the holidays his house smelled like hair spray and perfume. I told him the remedy was to get a real diesel truck and then do a fuel filter change.  That would reestablish his male dominance in his household. My boss who has a Ford said just make sure to throw away the clothes you wore. Said he threw his in the wash and his wife then added more and washed them all together. Everything gets the diesel smell. Mine are still airing out after two washes on the sanitize cycle.

Doug

Doug wash them with a can of Coke, Old Kenworth days trick.

I've done mine since I bought it in 2015. It sucks and you will spill some fuel. I can get the front one pretty much spill free. I bought an extension for the drain and run it into a fuel can on the ground, that way I can let it sit for awhile. I also lift the filter slightly and let it drain a little more before pulling it out of the housing and putting it in a plastic bag.

The rear one is the mother. Ive ended up with fuel running down my arm and into my arm pit everything! I put absorbent pads on the driveshaft and ground to catch the excess. I've let it sit drain for until it stops and I still get a splash! 

Geno's sells a nice Lisle wrench for removing the sensor without damaging it.

Theres a really good video on YouTube made by a guy named Marion. He actually has a bunch of maintenance related videos that are a great reference, plus he has a funny sense of humor. I'll try to find a link.....

Hope you all are well! Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have the Lisle wrench and a neat little socket for the forward filter.

Amazon Prices

68197867AA Spin-On $50.80

Full Mopar Fuel Filter Set $111.76

Mopar 6815 7291AA $59.74

Fleetguard FS20089 $49.49

Cummins Filtration FS53000 Fuel Filter $54.74

Wix Filter Corp. WF10255NP Fuel Filter $29.18

WIX WF10112 Fuel Filter $48.95

Cummins NW wants over $100 dollhairs each for the Fleetguard filters.  I'm betting that the local Dodge dealer wants even more for their rebranded Mopar units.  Amazon's prices on Wix seem reasonable.  I put Fleetguards in the last truck - only Fleetguards.  I think that Fleetguards are plenty fine for this truck too - is there any reason to stick with the Mopar filters?

I just buy the $100 Mopar set
Haven't tried anything else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well that wasn't too bad.  Pretty straight forward to do.  The rear filter is a PITA when the truck is hot, trying to reach around a hot muffler, but it really wasnt all that bad.

I primed it seven times, until I couldn't hear any air in the lines anymore and she started up within 10 seconds.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, Big Russ said:

Well that wasn't too bad.  Pretty straight forward to do.  The rear filter is a PITA when the truck is hot, trying to reach around a hot muffler, but it really wasnt all that bad.

I primed it seven times, until I couldn't hear any air in the lines anymore and she started up within 10 seconds.

How do you prime it?  I just hit the start button. 

How do you prime it?  I just hit the start button. 
My manual says no prime needed. It fires right up and never a hiccup

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, HOSS said:

My manual says no prime needed. It fires right up and never a hiccup

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought.  I only had a hiccup one time after changing the filters

17 hours ago, jcasper said:

That's what I thought.  I only had a hiccup one time after changing the filters

Last time mine seemed to take quite a bit to get going. It has the keyless ignition, just push run. Hard to interrupt it to stop it. 

Doug

I turned the key on and off to prime it. 

All of the YT video's Ive watched said to prime it, and I believe the instructions that came with the filter did also. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.