I was pulling the sled from Kalama back to my parents house, about 10 miles, and the boat weighs 3500 on the trailer.  I was in tow/haul mode with the E-brake on and wasn't screwing around.  When I got near my parents house, I heard the engine get louder under load, but went away when coasting.  When I got within 100 yards of my parents house, I rolled the window down and under load, it was making a mechanical noise, RPM dependent.  I parked the boat and disconnected, and opened the hood, felt around the fan shroud and found a rough spot - I thought maybe the fan was rubbing on the shroud, so I pulled the plastic shroud back a little and didnt worry about it,  I left Kelso heading north and by the time I got to Toutle River Rest Area, the noise was constant.  It seems to be louder from under the truck than it is on top of the engine.  It's at McCord Brothers in Longview...  7507 miles...

Here's the engine at the rest area

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4P3XW7sPbXBNgqv8

Here's in front of my parents house with the boat on the back

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Z6gKAWNgGLgyzwg7

Here's the result... :(

ubV_1NPtU5gLRo8Q2XCHEBxHqyq8iqBa_2x-NPQt

Pull the access cover and look at the bolts. Every flex plate I’ve seen broken sounds much like that, and every one had shiny bolt heads. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mark - Thats what it was sounding like to me, and the noise seemed to be in the correct area.  Fortunately it's still under warranty and I havent done a BIT of bombing to it.  

I am thinking bolts came loose rather than broken? I have played this game too many times. it is under load only at first if your not doing boosted launches as they back out and hit high spots when they tilt during acceleration. Soon they back out far enough and wear the high spots on the adapter plate down enough to make noise all the time. I hope the stealer does not just tighten them up and call it good. I would want them to pull the transmission and replace the flex plate and bolts. maybe even the adapter plate if it has wear. 

2 hours ago, HOSS said:

I am thinking bolts came loose rather than broken? I have played this game too many times. it is under load only at first if your not doing boosted launches as they back out and hit high spots when they tilt during acceleration. Soon they back out far enough and wear the high spots on the adapter plate down enough to make noise all the time. I hope the stealer does not just tighten them up and call it good. I would want them to pull the transmission and replace the flex plate and bolts. maybe even the adapter plate if it has wear. 

I concur - lets see what they say, hopefully they'll take a look at it today. 

Make sure to tell them you want your old parts!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Big Russ said:

They are replacing the flex plate and bolts - so far...

Is Vonia still service manager there?  She was always pretty straight up about repairs.

Is Vonia still service manager there?  She was always pretty straight up about repairs.
I've been chatting with Richard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I was supposed to get it back today, I called this morning and now they are replacing the adapter and something else he couldnt remember.  Those parts wont be in until next tuesday... :(

Heck that think has TONS of life left in it!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm trying to figure out how that happened....

They said it was "Shimmed" wrong from the factory...  See #15 on the parts diagram...

If it was shimmed wrong, whats that going to do to the tranny pump or the crank thrust bearing??  I see what it did to the flex plate...

And why did it take 7500 miles to start rubbing?

questions....

image.png

That makes no sense at all.  

• Like 1

did they give you the adapter?  looks to me like 1 or more of the convertor bolts came out, and were laying in there rubbing that flexplate.  if so the adapter should have been damaged as well.  or did 1 of the adapter to block bolts back out?   hard to say since you couldnt be there to watch the tech do the work..  

On an auto truck I wouldn’t worry too much about thrust bearing. 

One sided wear like that could have put stress on the pump bushing, but doubt it did much, if any, damage there either. 

Still trying to wrap my head around the shimming part. 

36 minutes ago, marksmith said:

On an auto truck I wouldn’t worry too much about thrust bearing. 

One sided wear like that could have put stress on the pump bushing, but doubt it did much, if any, damage there either. 

Still trying to wrap my head around the shimming part. 

ditto