I was just about to get on the freeway when this happen...

121640730_10218613601633590_607652050757

The passenger side wheel stopped turning. I just made it to a parking lot. If I had been on the freeway...

121448907_10218613601913597_562321663840

I believe the bearings or universal froze. It is slightly leaking diff fluid too. I know the rim is shot and probably the tire...

Maybe it's time to install front hubs? Where is the best place to get the kit from? Anyone have a 2001 wheel they want to sell? Any advise would be appreciated...

More later when I start taking it apart tomorrow if it's not raining...

I have a wheel for you! I am sure I have one with a usable tire that will get around for a while 

I would guess unit bearing? 

When I did the bearings, I got them from Rock Auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1119681&cc=1377569&jsn=4

$105

But you have a 2002 so it's a different part number I believe - your rotor is in front of the bearing, my 99, it was behind the flange.  

Good time for a Yukon free spin kit.  

And yes you are lucky, seen trucks end up on their roofs from this.

Is it the same as mine? 16 stock alloy? How much do you want for it?

Thanks Hoss...
Yes same factory alloy and its free

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Cap-n-Cray said:

I talked to Yukon and they said Amazon might be running a Prime deal on their kit at $1433.25...

What do you guys think?...

IMHO go for it 

I ordered the kit...

I think I should replace the U joints and I want one that I can put grease into. Would these work?...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HQJIJ2/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The rotor did some grinding on the caliper holder...

121357087_10218620342842116_392088263258

I think it may have been designed to hold the lose rotor. I think there is enough left to use it. The rotor looks good. The ABS sensor melted. The alloy rim's inside bead was ground off and the tires bead ripped apart. Do you think Costco would cover it as road hazard? Both are unusable...

I'm not sure if the seal inside the differential may be damaged. I'm leaking a little differential oil...

I will warn you now that removing that rotor is going to be a chore. They fit very snug around the unit bearing and the buildup of rust and scale around the rotor on the inside makes them hard to remove. With any luck your mishap helped break some of it loose.

Did you notice any extra brake travel leading up to the failure? The two times I had unit bearing failure I started to notice extra brake pedal travel. Upon investigating that I realized that the loose bearing was pushing the caliper piston back further thus needing more pedal to apply the brakes. The first bearing went totally nuclear, glowing red and all. The second one I knew what to look for. 
This was my ‘96 though which had vacuum brakes, maybe not as noticeable with hydra boost. 

4 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

Did you notice any extra brake travel leading up to the failure?

Yes, that is the one reason I did not get back on to the freeway to get home. Steering also became a problem when the tire didn't want to rotate on the passenger's side. I had to steer hard left to keep going straight. The tire finally decided to grip the road and must have tried to spin on the stopped rim. That ripped the tires inside bead off. 85 PSI makes a big bang when the tire came off...

16 hours ago, HOSS said:

I will warn you now that removing that rotor is going to be a chore.

It looks like with the kit you don't need to remover anything but the unit bearing assemble and everything comes out in one unit. The new kit replaces everything but the drive shafts out of the differential. I am worried about the condition of the differential seal on the passengers side when everything let go. it did leak some differential fluid...

7 hours ago, Cap-n-Cray said:

It looks like with the kit you don't need to remover anything but the unit bearing assemble and everything comes out in one unit. The new kit replaces everything but the drive shafts out of the differential. I am worried about the condition of the differential seal on the passengers side when everything let go. it did leak some differential fluid...

I dont know how a guy could remove the unit bearing without removing the rotor first. The way I remove the unit bearing is to use a socket between the knuckle and the bearing and use the power steering to press it off a little at a time from one side to the other. I dont think you can do this with the rotor on. 

As long as the caliper mount and caliper can come off it will come out. I had to get creative with a universal joint and custom length extension so the rotor didn’t bind it up before pressing. 

I've never uses them, I don't uses drilled rotor's on our trucks. I used Dimpled and slotted.  I've used 3 brands over the life of my trucks and if Now Power Stop makes them I will switch to them. Both the Bug and the Jetta Got complete kits from Power Stop.

When the Lexus is due it will also.

Looks like a nice set up.