Do the newest Ram diesels have a "limp home" mode

1 hour ago, stroketeck said:

i did not realize they drank so much

I had 37’s and stock gearing at 300 miles on truck..... figured it was due to extra load from tires. Didn’t drive empty much after the new gears.... 

Also assume gage about like the fuel gag as to accuracy.. close but not real close 

i was down to low side of shaded shaded area when I got home from CdA this past trip , added 2 gallons store bought and read on gage a bit over 1/2 full 

Edited by GTroyer

I did have a sensor go bad on my 2016 2500 with around 72K miles. The see dealer warning popped up a few times over a few months then in November it came on with the warning that in 200 miles it would go into limp mode. Was in a bind so I took it to the dealer. It was the downstream sensor. Expensive at their price and the added hours they justify for having to go through regens. I know I could have replaced it myself and saved a lot but I was in a bind.  Now this was all on a vehicle I bought used from a dealer the previous spring with 65K miles on it. I didn't have a service history so I can't say what may have been done before. The truck is exceptionally clean and looks to have been well taken care of. And a big thing here in the northeast is it has no rust! I have since put on about 4K miles without any further issues.  I do use the Blue DEF.  When towing my 8,000 lbs camper (trailer) I can go through 5 gallons in around 1K miles.  I always try to find the date on the carton and try to not buy anything over few months old. If I can't find a date I will not buy it.

Doug

o.k., thanks for all of the input,.  I have a 2020 2500 diesel sitting in the driveway and so far I couldnt be happier.  It will be heading to Utah this saturday towing the next load so it will be interesting to see how well it does.  Funny thing, when I was shopping, I kind of landed on a truck that I like.  Go to test drive it and it has 788 miles on the odometer because it was a demo.  I used that for a pretty good discount but didnt tell them that I was happy for the miles so that the rear end had some break in time before towing.  I was sweating that as I dont have much time to drive it before the trip.  

1. On to def.  Whats the best way to get the stuff in the truck?  Anyone have a line on a good funnel or spout?  When I picked up the truck they gave me a couple gallons of DEF and and uber cheap flexi funnel that somehow worked.  Just wondering if there is something out there people prefer.  Thanks.
  • Like 1

o.k., thanks for all of the input,.  I have a 2020 2500 diesel sitting in the driveway and so far I couldnt be happier.  It will be heading to Utah this saturday towing the next load so it will be interesting to see how well it does.  Funny thing, when I was shopping, I kind of landed on a truck that I like.  Go to test drive it and it has 788 miles on the odometer because it was a demo.  I used that for a pretty good discount but didnt tell them that I was happy for the miles so that the rear end had some break in time before towing.  I was sweating that as I dont have much time to drive it before the trip.  

1. On to def.  Whats the best way to get the stuff in the truck?  Anyone have a line on a good funnel or spout?  When I picked up the truck they gave me a couple gallons of DEF and and uber cheap flexi funnel that somehow worked.  Just wondering if there is something out there people prefer.  Thanks.
All the ones I've seen are single use(which makes me laugh for saving the world reasons) but it's a box with a jug and a flexible straw.

Make sure to not rip the breather because it gets everywhere and stinks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Holy Crap!  I hate DEF already.  New truck is doing well, but I cannot believe what a pain in the butt working with DEF is.  I didnt get the screw on neck on the bottle right so it dripped everywhere including on the tail gate of the truck when I set everything down.  I didnt think much of it, but when it dries it looks like a bunch of white crystals.  Then I stopped at a dealer in OR, to top of my DEF.  They sent a kid out with a 2.5 gallon jug who then managed to dump def all down the side of my truck and running boards.  It was 100 outside and that stuff crystalized quick.  I had to maneuver truck and trailer back to their wash bay to get that all cleaned up before I got on the road.  Just need to get used to my new reality.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.