Recommended transmission shop in Arlington area (for 02J)?

Next month or so I'll be looking to replace the clutch in the wife's 2003 (as well as a complete suspension refresh).  The 02J is leaking at the case (got it that way) and I'd like to have it resealed while it's out.  The trans otherwise performs flawlessly (less than 200k).

Can anyone refer me to a good transmission shop in the Arlington area for doing something like this?

Posted (edited)

Mike is/was my first choice but he wasn't around there when I swung by the other day:  I was looking to kill two birds with one stone as I was also wanting to check on my rental bill with/from Springer.  Since Mike wasn't around (and he can be a bit hard to get a hold of) I figured I'd post here.

Edited by DieselBound

Mike has done the clutch on my Jetta plus all the suspension upgrades.

He has done all the suspension upgrades on the bug also.  He will be doing the clutch also.

Paul, I only need a reseal on a trans.  I'm good with the suspension work: it'll be the fourth such job for me on MKIVs.  And the clutch is also not a big deal for me (made easier in conjunction with the suspension work).  I can only afford to pay someone for work/repairs for ONE vehicle, and that would be my truck (I only have one of those, and Mike is the expert for it; I'm an "expert" on my MKIV TDIs [I've owned four of them], in which case I do the work on them [with my labor I can afford high end parts for the cars]- PLUS, I trust no one to work on my wife's car).

I think Mike is still on vacation as I didn't see any sign of him yesterday when I swung by.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who gave me references!

Got a hold of Mike.  He's booked (can't wait that long).  He suggested Northstate in Marysville, but they're booked for a couple weeks.  Bud's in Marysville (really like them!) doesn't feel confident in being able to get any necessary parts.  With Bud's I figure they're going to go through things and not just do a simple reseal.  And, frankly, this only seems proper.  Lots of labor in yanking and reinstalling a trans only to have it not too long afterwards start crapping out.  So...

After lots of thought (time/scheduling being a big factor) I decided to order a rebuilt one from Cascade German Auto (been a while since I'd talked to Aaron).  This will save downtime waiting for work to be done on the existing trans.  Not much more than a new SB clutch for my truck!  Kind of hard to balk at costs when the truck isn't a DD and the wife's car is.  Also, Aaron tells me that the TDI transmissions are getting harder to come by, and new parts also are difficult to come by.  Based on rough quotes of repair costs of the existing trans the rebuild is about $600 to $800 more; I feel like it's worth it for the added peace of mind.

Edited by DieselBound

Sounds like a good route to take!

Just make certain to follow their break-in procedure and specific fluids to maintain your warranty.  The fact you get a 2 year warranty on that transmission is incredible!

You might ask Aaron about the special cocktail of Redline fluids for the transmission.  It is what he suggested in Ivan's transmission and his shifts really nice!

Edited by carl20320

When talking to Aaron he said that someone had an issue with a trans and it was found out they had only put in HALF the fluid that is required!

Break-in will be with Liqui Moly SAE 75W-90 GL4, then will run Red Line MT-LV and Red Line Superlight Shockproof  per Aaron's an mine's discussion.  Will be interesting to see how the Red Line mix works.  I have yet told my wife that I'll be driving her car for a while (and that she'll have more seat time in my dog car than she will like!).

Aaron was up late last night and e-mailed me that the transmission guy was also up late working on a transmission for me and that it might ship today!  This will really help me out time-wise if I can do all this work next weekend.

2 minutes ago, DieselBound said:

When talking to Aaron he said that someone had an issue with a trans and it was found out they had only put in HALF the fluid that is required!

Break-in will be with Liqui Moly SAE 75W-90 GL4, then will run Red Line MT-LV and Red Line Superlight Shockproof  per Aaron's an mine's discussion.  Will be interesting to see how the Red Line mix works.  I have yet told my wife that I'll be driving her car for a while (and that she'll have more seat time in my dog car than she will like!).

Yeah, I was out fishing with Aaron and Andrew from TuneMyEuro a couple weeks ago and he was telling me about that 5th gear that the guy was trying to claim as warranty.  When they pulled it apart, the gear was black from heat.

We are running the Redline "cocktail" in Ivan's transmission and it is REALLY nice.  One of the fluids  does not look like ANY transmission gear oil I have ever seen.  IT was very thin and opaque, not clear like normal fluids.  We did the break-in with the LiquidMoly and drove back from Florida then made the change to the Redline once we got back.  The shift improvement was definitely noticable.  I will be changing to that fluid mix in mine.

Years ago when researching fluids I saw that Red Line wasn't all that great in these transmissions.  Pretty much the case with everything.  I ended up going with AC Delco Synchromesh, which has worked extremely well in my car (I could tell a drastic improvement even before I got out of my driveway!); no idea on how this will compare long-term as it's on the light side for the diff; but, my trans wasn't good but now it's usable.

Sounds like folks have found the secret in doing the mix with different Red Line products.  That makes sense.

I don't expect any improvements with the wife's car as it currently shifts perfectly: it's the clutch that is getting long in the tooth.  It's really only the oil leak that has me changing the trans.

Interestingly I'll need to swap out the shift towers as they don't seem to be part of the rebuild package.  Got the parts to refresh the shift tower.  Somewhere along the line I was under the impression that the side throw was shortened in later models: shorter than on a stock 2000; fore/aft is still a mile long (I tolerate a short shifter in my car because I hate that throw- with my SS I can just kind of flip my wrist, though I have to shift more slowly; I run mostly highway miles in which case I don't have a lot of shifting anyway).

Ivan's transmission came with the shift tower.  You will still be having to use your brackets and everything else that goes with it.  It is easy enough to make your shifter have a much shorter throw.  Mine was reduced by about 25% just by removing the pin and moving it closer in to the midline of the bracket.  Had to reshape the counter weight just a little for clearance of the shift end link. It is not the 40% reduction of the Dieselgeek or ECS shifters, but for the price, :ThumbsUP:

Aaron seemed to say that the transmission wouldn't come with a tower.  Or that's how I heard him.  Earlier conversation he said I'd need to swap them.  Might be that it makes no sense in shipping with one if I'm going to use the one from the existing transmission.

As my wife is fine with the existing shifting I'll opt to just leave it alone.

I'll be getting the transmission next Friday.  Perfect timing for me!