I'm pretty sure I have a front axle u-joint bad in the 04.5 again.   It's been a while since they've been replaced, I'll look later to see how long.    We are digging out our paddocks and putting down new paddock footing this weekend so there have been about 6 loads yesterday in our dump trailer.  The dump trailer has a down side to it, it's 8'x16' so taking a partial load never seems to happen.  I always want to fill it, it gets crazy heavy.   I bet somewhere around 25-30,000lbs loaded.   I have it hooked to the 04.5 truck this weekend and where I dump it needs 4x4 to get up the hill.   

I guess I'll have to park it after I'm done today until I have time to tear into it.    I should probably see how many miles are on the wheel unit bearings as well.  

Off to work again.   15 hours yesterday, hoping to be done in time to enjoy the evening tonight.   

Is it constant when your rolling? Very well could be a unit bearing also, I was pulling around by the shop with the 02 and Terry was standing by the truck and asked me what that crunching sound was?????? Like I can hear anything with that truck running (or not for that matter) I thought for sure it was a axle U joint because it was worse when turning hard but when I got it on the lift it was a shot unit bearing. 

Since I had it apart I did both sides unit bearings and axle U joints. 

1 minute ago, HOSS said:

Is it constant when your rolling? Very well could be a unit bearing also, I was pulling around by the shop with the 02 and Terry was standing by the truck and asked me what that crunching sound was?????? Like I can hear anything with that truck running (or not for that matter) I thought for sure it was a axle U joint because it was worse when turning hard but when I got it on the lift it was a shot unit bearing. 

Since I had it apart I did both sides unit bearings and axle U joints. 

Seems to be when I'm in 4x4 with a lot of strain on it.   These loads were heavy.   Might just need both, hard to justify repairs when I don't hardly drive the thing.  

Yeah if it was a unit bearing it would be all the time. 

6 hours ago, yogi_160 said:

How’s front driveline? The cv is prone to failure 

It's original.    230,000 miles on it.    It sounds like this noise is at the wheel.    

Suggesting CV joint being problematic / known issue  ????

Not read much over the many years about it being problematic. Worth checking yes but have doubts there. 

Unit bearing is much more likely IMHO , a known problem area . 

Maybe time to look at changing out to locking hubs if your keeping this truck for it’s life , if not then stay stock as the $$ won’t justify that upgrade as it’s about double the price given both sides are done . 

51 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Suggesting CV joint being problematic / known issue  ????

Not read much over the many years about it being problematic. Worth checking yes but have doubts there. 

Unit bearing is much more likely IMHO , a known problem area . 

Maybe time to look at changing out to locking hubs if your keeping this truck for it’s life , if not then stay stock as the $$ won’t justify that upgrade as it’s about double the price given both sides are done . 

This truck sits for months at a time.   I can't justify the locking hubs for this one.

I had a great truck in my 07 long bed mega cab. 
No unit bearings ever. Had a few u-joints replaced. 780,000 miles til Bambi’s dad attacked me. :( Original brakes too!

Miss that truck.

The ‘16 was probably the most disappointing of all the trucks I owned. Two unit bearings, all the u-joints, carrier bearing, transmission, rear diff, emissions nightmares.

Sorry lol slid into a depression and posted it.