BOMBER Board
skyking

3rd gen brake dragging.

What's the consensus just reman calipers and be done with it?

I don't need fancy brakes I just want good ones. 

Here is the SALT Country that is all I use (reman)  as none will last too long .   If  I buy from NAPA  they have a life time warrantee.

Fpr 35 bucks   (or what ever they were )  it is not worth the hassel of taking the piston out and cleaning the whole unit , then buy new pistons , seal etc  .

They are too simple and new ois not worth it.

Edited by thumper 549

Just be sure new pins and high temp grease them on install what ever you do

For my Dually, i bought new not rebuilt / reman. And slotted dimpled rotors as well as DOT 5.1 brake fluid and ended up with the best brakes I had ever had in a Dodge/Ram or any other truck for that matter .. even better than my new trucks brakes Had my Buddy Mark Smith do the install 

Edited by GTroyer

Truck is going on my (non-HarborFright) jack stands today for R&R of the rears. Once I pop the caliper off, I can confirm it is not the parking brake causing the issues.

semi metallic or go the ceramic linings?

EDIT: Wow the powerstop kits are really reasonable! I put together the local prices and they are a whole lot more $$ 

If you have inboards go softer cause the rotors are so hard to change , outboard put the nasty oin.

The 98 2500 I work from time to time gets reman calipers and rotors tomorrow. I did them last in 2014 and one of them is sticking already. So 6 years isn't so bad for a reman.

I ordered up power stop kits front and rear. I will toss some $30 pads on it if I need to while I wait for shipping. Ordering up new seals for the yukon hubs, so I can do a front bearing service.

11 hours ago, skyking said:

I ordered up power stop kits front and rear. I will toss some $30 pads on it if I need to while I wait for shipping. Ordering up new seals for the yukon hubs, so I can do a front bearing service.

Power Stop is what I use 90% of the time. Never an issue and always fit. The pads work real nice too!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, skyking said:

Great choice , what rotors come with kit ?

I went Brake Performance pads this last time, and turned oem rotors. I really miss my EBC brakes... I'll be going back to them.

👍

you’ll love the performance upgrade Kelly 

the only thing brake-wise I would like is some sort of driveline parking brake for these trucks. the factory little drum is pathetic at best.

Has anyone ever set up a line lock on these? is that even a possibility?

Way back when there was a thread about line locks do a search , someone did it Kelly 

maybe that hat was on TDR , damnnn CRS 

2 hours ago, skyking said:

the only thing brake-wise I would like is some sort of driveline parking brake for these trucks. the factory little drum is pathetic at best.

Has anyone ever set up a line lock on these? is that even a possibility?

I know my step dad used mechanical line lock for park brake on an old 69 bronco you would push brakes then push button on the floor seemed to hold well. 

Update: Shane and I installed the brakes today. The parking brakes work much better in the new rotors!

We took the locking hubs apart and serviced the bearings, inner needle bearings, and gave the half shaft u-joints some special attention. One of them was really stiff, but we got it going again.

One of the new caliper brackets was defective with a partially stripped caliper bolt hole. I took pictures and emailed the vendor, and we used the old bracket for now. We will see how they handle the replacement. I did the brake-in procedure. Next up is getting the exhaust brake installed.

If you haven’t read up on drilled rotors please do

some articles have said they are prone to cracking .. so something to watch for , 

thats why I went with dimpled instead. Same /similar performance as drilled without the cracking issue. 

Just a heads up 

they do crack under extreme conditions. I don't take my truck to track days, not too worried about that :)

And here he comes around corner 17, tossing that 6700 pounds of truck on two live axles  in a 4 wheel butt-puckering drift! Hard on the brakes for corner 18 and oh, no. Rotor crack!

• Haha 1

Whenever I get to do the brakes on my Acura, I'll probably do drilled rotors from Power Stop - the factory rotors are warped at 80K miles

the front rotors are still within spec that I took off the truck, and it turns out I did not have any sticking brakes, just worn out ones on the back. The rear rotors are toast, worn down below spec.

I did not detect any magical braking powers when I bedded the brakes. I suppose they will improve as I break them in a bit more.

The fresh rough surface on the parking drum worked wonders for the parking brakes!  I think that was the issue with the old brakes, the previous owners had gone down the road and polished them with the brake partially applied. 

I found the adapters to weld on for the packbrake installation. I hope to have it going for the next camping trip. 

I have an exhaust brake, mostly :)

Still need to clean up some wiring and relays, but it switches on and off and the compressor cycles. I need a new switch knob for it, the old one is chipped up. Anyone see any cool ideas?

I used a two speed rear end switch mounted on the stick just at the finger height , had brake wired so when needed /used I flipped it with fingers for on or off , no floor micro switch to get dirty and quit working . It was held on with a aluminum two piece clamp figure 8 clamp

used it from 2001.5 to when I blew the engine in 8/19