BOMBER Board
jcasper

Trip to Dallas Texas

It looks like sometime in August or September I will be taking a trip to the Dallas area.  Our horse trainer who we have used for many years and known for many more is moving there.   We have offered to help get her live in horse trailer and 2 of her horses down there.    I am not concerned about hills and mountains quite as much, but she would like to avoid big long climbs as she will be pulling her small horse trailer with a 2003 Dodge with a Hemi in it.   I'm trying to avoid the south like Arizona and Southern Nevada to stay away from the scorching temps.    

These are the routes shown.  Does anyone have some input on routes for us?  We will need to let the horses out ever 4-5 hours to stretch out and will probably drive two 4-5 hour stretches each day.  We will then need to find places to overnight with them.   

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=cc2b7d14-dbd2-460c-bce5-90e9b2692293&cp=40.240929~-115.949004&lvl=5&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027 

Joe either route will be hot and near the same temps .. it’s not cool on the northern route shown it’s their hot season also

if you plan it out and leave in the afternoon from home and use I-5 overnight somewhere and then go early the next morning you’ll beat some of the heat in Az and east .. but in all reality it will be hot either way. Also I-5 will be the less hilly way going south 

Edited by GTroyer

As you plan further.. to go south repost your route might be some input that will help

JMSO

I’d go further east over to CO and then drop down and then east again Over to top of texas and straight down.

You will have heat regardless and storms. I think its hwy 283 or 289 east of Denver, nice road. I’ll confirm...I was close lol, 287 by Denver. Less hills and heading east above Denver is easier drive (less grades) too. BTDT

Edited by Scotty_
  • Like 1

I know a bit about the area from Laramie, WY through Colorado.  The 287 highway from Laramie to Ft Collins may avoid steep grades but it is a dangerous highway with a lot of bad accidents.  I don't think you'll have issues though.  When you get to Ft Collins take Hwy 14 east at least to Ault where you can pick up US 85.  I would go further east to Hwy 17 south to stay way east of Denver.  Hwy 17 is used a lot by the trucks hauling livestock and grain so it could be a better choice.  The further east you stay from Denver would keep you out of the urban traffic.

Doug

2 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

JMSO

I’d go further east over to CO and then drop down and then east again Over to top of texas and straight down.

You will have heat regardless and storms. I think its hwy 283 or 289 east of Denver, nice road. I’ll confirm...I was close lol, 287 by Denver. Less hills and heading east above Denver is easier drive (less grades) too. BTDT

What kind of storms?  That was the route I was leaning towards, or close to that.  Trying to stay away from Denver would be a better idea though.   

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Joe either route will be hot and near the same temps .. it’s not cool on the northern route shown it’s their hot season also

if you plan it out and leave in the afternoon from home and use I-5 overnight somewhere and then go early the next morning you’ll beat some of the heat in Az and east .. but in all reality it will be hot either way. Also I-5 will be the less hilly way going south 

I won't drive I-5 in California with a trailer.  That freeway is in such bad shape it beats the crap out of everything.    Last time I went south I moved over to 99 and it was a bit better I thought, but still bad.    

My northern route won't be as hot as the south, will it?   

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Bear said:

I know a bit about the area from Laramie, WY through Colorado.  The 287 highway from Laramie to Ft Collins may avoid steep grades but it is a dangerous highway with a lot of bad accidents.  I don't think you'll have issues though.  When you get to Ft Collins take Hwy 14 east at least to Ault where you can pick up US 85.  I would go further east to Hwy 17 south to stay way east of Denver.  Hwy 17 is used a lot by the trucks hauling livestock and grain so it could be a better choice.  The further east you stay from Denver would keep you out of the urban traffic.

Doug

Thanks for the tip.  Getting around Denver will be a big help.   

The high desert ara is COLd in the night and HOT in the day

sneak dwn to bakersfield and then over and around avloid LA.

Day time past noon will be hot on most any route you use as it starts to cool in Early October .. August and September are still hot. 

If you you can make the trip in later October and life will be good in most routes. 

I-5 is good until Sacramento but it is a easy short crossover to 99 south ( about 15 minutes if you use the lower cross over it’s just past downtown and if you miss that crossover go on south until hwy 4 crossover in Stockton also a short cross over) there .. 99 has had a lot of work done and it IMHO much better road than I-5 by far, I-5 is bad south of Sacramento north of there isn’t bad at all. 

If you leave your area in afternoon you’ll be down in mid/lower Calif in late evening when it’s cooling down 

99 to Hwy 58 over the  pass isn’t a bad pull at all and the part that is steeper is short. 

Find your pull over place and get back on back on the road EARLY and you’ll beat a ton of heat

Edited by GTroyer

Oh as to climbing elevations the 5 /99 / 58 route is mostly down hill .. the other routes  you talk about gain a lot of altitude /higher desert 5000 +/- much of the route 

1 hour ago, GTroyer said:

Day time past noon will be hot on most any route you use as it starts to cool in Early October .. August and September are still hot. 

If you you can make the trip in later October and life will be good in most routes. 

I-5 is good until Sacramento but it is a easy short crossover to 99 south ( about 15 minutes if you use the lower cross over it’s just past downtown and if you miss that crossover go on south until hwy 4 crossover in Stockton also a short cross over) there .. 99 has had a lot of work done and it IMHO much better road than I-5 by far, I-5 is bad south of Sacramento north of there isn’t bad at all. 

If you leave your area in afternoon you’ll be down in mid/lower Calif in late evening when it’s cooling down 

99 to Hwy 58 over the  pass isn’t a bad pull at all and the part that is steeper is short. 

Find your pull over place and get back on back on the road EARLY and you’ll beat a ton of heat

October isn't an option, but would be nice.   I may consider I-5 to Sac, I have to map that and get the mileage that would be.  I don't want to add tons of miles to skip a few hills.   

I should have been more clear 

Tehachapi Pass is near backersfild . its not bad at all .

roll on accross to Tx

You have to get over the hills somehow , T.Pass is 3500 or so, not too bad.

This elminates  grapevine .

All you have left to deal  with is the hills in OR

1 hour ago, jcasper said:

What's so great about Tehachapi pass?

it is really pretty mountain pass, one of my favorites, and a easy pull

Edited by stroketeck

4 hours ago, jcasper said:

What kind of storms?  That was the route I was leaning towards, or close to that.  Trying to stay away from Denver would be a better idea though.   

Thunderstorms 

I've driven most of the northern route you are showing on the map many times.  No real mountain passes to go through.  I literally just drove your central route the end of March.  Hated the road through CO and NM.  Lots of reservations with mediocre roads, slow speed limits and 2 lane roads.  NM roads in general are a little less than ideal for driving.  Once you hit TX, the roads get pretty good again.  Your northern route is probably your best bet since you are towing trailers and animals.  It WILL be hot in Eastern CO, OK, and TX that time of year.  July and August, you can count on 100 degree days regularly.  It will cool down into the 90s in September. 

Thunderstorms and tornadoes are a fact of life in summer in that part of the world.  I have a bunch of relatives in the Dallas area and many of them have lost buildings to tornadoes, including both sets of grandparents.

1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

I've driven most of the northern route you are showing on the map many times.  No real mountain passes to go through.  I literally just drove your central route the end of March.  Hated the road through CO and NM.  Lots of reservations with mediocre roads, slow speed limits and 2 lane roads.  NM roads in general are a little less than ideal for driving.  Once you hit TX, the roads get pretty good again.  Your northern route is probably your best bet since you are towing trailers and animals.  It WILL be hot in Eastern CO, OK, and TX that time of year.  July and August, you can count on 100 degree days regularly.  It will cool down into the 90s in September. 

Thunderstorms and tornadoes are a fact of life in summer in that part of the world.  I have a bunch of relatives in the Dallas area and many of them have lost buildings to tornadoes, including both sets of grandparents.

Thanks for the input on the NM roads.  That's good to know.  When we head back empty I'd like to come back through Utah, maybe stop in Moab for a couple of days.   

I've been to Dallas once before.  Our rental car got totaled from a thunderstorm.  It was very impressive.    

The tornadoes are a big concern down there.    I'm not worried about the truck, it's replaceable.  Just need to keep everyone safe.    I'm starting to look for commercial property down there.  Not real serious, but browsing.  I might do some looking when I'm there if time allows.   

55 with a trailer in CA eats up a lot of time. I’d head East and down also

IT is showing different routes now than earlier.  The 2064 mile route is what I would suggest... I-84 , 287.  287 will take you into Fort Worth and there is lots of construction in Fort Worth on the major freeways but if you time your travel, traffic has never been too bad.

That is a very familiar part of the world to me.  Born in Cleburne, lived in burleson, and relatives all over the place.  Spent all my summers growing up in Hillsboro (TX) and Whitney on the grandparents farms. 

Cool fact - the 2024 total eclipse is going to pass through the area.  My family just sold there farm in Hillsboro or else I would be there for the eclipse.  Right on the center line and going to have almost 4 1/2 minutes of totality.

As far as heat goes, it's just a gamble really. One trip east it was 106* all through Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota on I-90. On average it is cooler than the southern route but it's not unheard of to be just as hot.