BOMBER Board
hawkeye

Head to Head towing vehicle

Hey guys, it’s been YEARS since my last post.. well I’m back because I have a question that I need this groups input on.. the scoop: last year we had a friend of a friend who had to get rid of their 28’ keystone Springdale bumper pull trailer bc of divorce. So we paid what they owed and got a super good deal, I had been thinking about a trailer for years and after doing research knew I wanted a 26’ so my current truck could handle with ease. But this was a deal we couldn’t pass up.. a year later and we’ve used it 9 times from May to October Last year and towed it all over the state. I have been towing it with a 2010 GMC Sierra 6.2L 6 spd crew cab short bed (5.5’) 2” lift and 33” procomp A/T load range E on 20” procomp wheels, towing capacity is 9200lbs, They make a max trailering package that is rated for 10,200, the only difference Is the axle ratio goes from 3.42 to 4.10. The truck tows ok but I feel like sometimes the tail is wagging the dog and the trailer is maybe just a bit much for the truck. My buddy has a 2008 Chev Silverado 2500 duramax CC,SB(6.5’) with a 6” lift on 35” tires that he let me use to tow it a couple of times. . It seems more stable but power wise doesn’t seem like a huge upgrade.. 

Option 2: my grandfather has a bone stock 2004 dodge Cummins C/C, SB, A/T, SLT Laramie, stock suspension and wheels/tires, I think it’s a 3500 but it might be a 2500, mileage I think is about 80k, I’ll update when I know more.

I’m just wondering if you guys think it would be an upgrade over my current truck or a wash? I want something that feels more secure towing the trailer. I had some white knuckle experiences last year pulling passes or in high side wind conditions in eastern WA.
All vehicles are stock from a power/tuner stand point, but modifying any of them is an option. Thanks for any thoughts you guys have. When I have the money (maybe a couple years) I will buy a 2017+ LP5 duramax but am just trying to decide what is best for the next couple of years.

I say take grandpas truck on a trip see what you think. 
ive owned 2 second gen Cummins 2 third gen now have a 2010 4 gen I love it ties great my 07 was megacab it was good truck my 06 was swb quad cab was okay. Each truck has it’s own personality 

• Like 1

I would take Grandpa's truck for a try out also. 

if its a 3500 I bet you will like it, most likely with stock suspension and tires it will be a more stable tow rig.  

• Like 1

All above ASSUMING you are aware of how to load a trailer for proper weight distribution as that makes a huge difference with how a trailer tows .

do you use any form of anti sway ? If not look into that also . Is trailer level when being towed not nose down or nose high ? 

Many times new towers don’t have trailer /truck set up for proper tow and make a large mistake and a towing headache by that.

air bags on truck to help with load stabilization? 

with all above not part of the equation then borrow Grandpa’s truck and check it out for a better tow rig . 

I have found that lifted IFS trucks are definitely less stable feeling while towing. Short trucks make it that much more pronounced. 

The power in the duramax and Cummins is just a program away. Two stock trucks, side by side with similar body configurations..... the duramax will be your better/cheaper tow rig. 

1 hour ago, marksmith said:

.... the duramax will be your better/cheaper tow rig. 

Even with the 6" lift and 35" tires?

What Gary said. If it were me with a bumper pull trailer,I would put airbags on the truck and sway control in the trailer connection.

If you are planning on a new rig in a couple of years than get your current truck to tow better with those additions.

Having the trailer sitting flat and level when attached to the truck makes a huge difference for bumper pulls.

I also don’t fill my water tank if I’m going somewhere with water. Water weighs 10 lbs a gallon, why haul 30 gallons of water (300 lbs) if not needed .

Thats like another fat guy in the truck!

47 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

Stock. 

All lifted short bed GM trucks I’ve towed with seem...... twitchy. For lack of better description 

I would think towing with your buddy's truck, would be like your old '97. 😲

Isn't your current truck a 1500? 

Along the lines of what Gary said. If you don't have an equalizing hitch, get one. It will stay with the trailer, whatever rig you tow with. If that is the case you may be very happy with your truck.

Hey guys, yeah I will see if gramps will let me borrow his truck, I was thinking that’s the only way to see the difference and if it’s worth it. Yes My current truck is a 1500, I have considered adding air bags etc to help improve towing manors, but just wonder if I’m wasting my money as far as I’m just simply asking the truck to do to much. My buddies 08 duramax seems more stable, it’s 1’ longer (5.5 vs 6.5 bed) it obviously weighs more with the dmax vs 6.2L LS based engine, and the 35” tires, while hurting fuel mileage and power, seem to add stability from a stand point of the truck weighs more and it harder for the trailer to affect it, bigger dog makes the tail seem smaller so to speak.. For hitch setup I use the EAZLIFT recurve r3 with weight distribution and anti sway, adjustable for up to 1000lb tongue weight, it came with the trailer. I made the rookie mistake assuming it was setup “close enough” Instead of going through the manual page by page for my truck, since the guy I got the trailer from had a very similar truck, his was A pre 2007 6.0L 2500 which is close in towing capacity to my truck. However after many times through setting up the hitch from scratch following the manual and taking it to two different RV centers to make sure I wasn’t missing or forgetting something, it turned out it was pretty close to begin with. I have been very mindful and aware of tongue weight, proper loading of trailer/tanks/truck bed, and at the of the day, if I keep it under 60mph It does ok and I can live with that. But if Gramps 04 Cummins would be an upgrade, it would basically be a straight swap, paying for it with what I could sell mine for.. Then I would do that to bridge the gap until the LP5 was within reach financially. And Yes, David Remembers my introduction To the diesel world when I bought my first Cummins At the age of 20, 1997 12 valve, it had a 4” life and 35” tires, and it was a bear to drive without any load, even after about 2k in steering upgrades. I quiver at the though of trying To pull this trailer with that thing..

Edited by hawkeye

10 hours ago, marksmith said:

Stock. 

All lifted short bed GM trucks I’ve towed with seem...... twitchy. For lack of better description 

Any lifted IFS truck tow's funny. The front end geometry gets all messed up when you add weight to the back. The thing that changes is the front toe setting and that make them wiggle alot.

I could see that when you change the geometry with leveling blocks or the old school torsion keys or dial a lift, but I thought most modern legit Lift kits lowered the entire front carriage to maintain stock geometry? I first tried towing with just the front leveling kit, the rough country blocks that do change the geometry. While going through all of this I realized no matter what I did to the hitch or trailer setup, the front was always riding significantly above the rear, so I added the 2” lift blocks in the rear to basically bring everything back to a stockish rake, to my surprise it seemed to help, keeping more weight on the front axle decreases the amount of searching or correcting that was needed.. At least from a seat of the pants feel fwiw

18 hours ago, carl20320 said:

This is Marks complete sentence "Two stock trucks, side by side with similar body configurations..... the duramax will be your better/cheaper tow rig. "

6 hours ago, HOSS said:

This is Marks complete sentence "Two stock trucks, side by side with similar body configurations..... the duramax will be your better/cheaper tow rig. "

Yep, RIF.  Mark S already made that clear.

In my opinion if you have your 1500, a lifted dmax, or 04 cummins

I would pick the 04 cummins, they pull great and suspension is typically stiffer than gm for more stable towing atleast from my experience.

If you choose this route atleast get a trans temp gauge and deep trans pan.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reading all this makes me even happier I bought the 2018 CTD.

It tows amazing, easy to set up, all I have added is airlift bags ..