BOMBER Board

So went to lunch down the hwy from where I work... smashing as usual around 60ish... Got back to work and went to back into my parking area... And BANG!!!!! Broken ball joint .

Guess 8yrs is long enough ? Not even a shimmy in the front end ... Just greased the whole front end before winter and parked it due to winter drivability... So I been driving my Durango instead.... Good darn thing0ab3a7a333f623f396a9ed5de8bb6003.jpg3e12e15cb132604ba79d2547d417e65d.jpg951164be8794e4a7287ddad52e26fd3b.jpga25edd0d04bdc9c8c3edd3a6b5dfa4d8.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

It waited until a safe time for you! 

Good timing for darn sure

• Like 1

Wow! Lucky timing on that one. Sucks that it happened at all though. If it was going to break though, at least it probably did as little damage as could be. Breaking at 60mph would have sucked reeeeaally bad.

• Like 2

Wow! Lucky timing on that one. Sucks that it happened at all though. If it was going to break though, at least it probably did as little damage as could be. Breaking at 60mph would have sucked reeeeaally bad.
Yeah it would have been a crap storm at 60 .... Or even 6mph.... Someone was looking after me for sure

• Like 2

I wouldn't say this sucks, if it happened at a different time your truck could be on its roof and that I have seen before.....

• Like 1

A while back I did a bunch of thinking about this when us 4x4 guys were having issues with the tie rod ends breaking before the updated steering. I thought, if this happened while driving down the road you would be in big trouble. Everyone I saw break, happened at very low speed maneuvering. The reality is that there is way more stress on ball joints and steering components when maneuvering in a parking lot at low speeds/ no speed, than at high speeds. I don’t understand why the shock of a pothole or bumb doesn’t break them, but most all failure of this type appear to be at low speeds.

Just my theory of course. Could have been much worse.

• Like 2

A while back I did a bunch of thinking about this when us 4x4 guys were having issues with the tie rod ends breaking before the updated steering. I thought, if this happened while driving down the road you would be in big trouble. Everyone I saw break, happened at very low speed maneuvering. The reality is that there is way more stress on ball joints and steering components when maneuvering in a parking lot at low speeds/ no speed, than at high speeds. I don’t understand why the shock of a pothole or bumb doesn’t break them, but most all failure of this type appear to be at low speeds.

Just my theory of course. Could have been much worse.
Yeah I actually got my 98 Durango for $450.00 ...broken right hand lower ball joint ... Lady bought a new SUV so I got a deal ... New lower control arm and installed in about 2hrs and I put it on trailer and wasn't but 3 days and I was driving it full time ...
Now I think I will institute a rule and keep it ... 5yrs.. they get replaced... Uppers and lowers .. even if thier good... I make trips to 100+ way too often to not think ahead...

Hellll just jack it up once in a while and inspect them lol or while you do oil changes/grease jobs 

• Like 1

Hellll just jack it up once in a while and inspect them lol or while you do oil changes/grease jobs 
Unfortunately I do my oil changes every 10K... Or once a year ... So that had all been checked ... I think this part failure wasn't necessary due to lack of inspection, just a lack of good parts I think, if I recall right I did these just before I hurt my shoulder last time so I had just had my youngest and just bought a new car... Lol

Well... Got new ball joints, putter tie rod ends and a new pitman arm... Alignment done today and all is now well....

Now I have to look the Durango over again

1 hour ago, 4x4manonbroke said:

Well... Got new ball joints, putter tie rod ends and a new pitman arm... Alignment done today and all is now well....

Now I have to look the Durango over again emoji23.png

With multi cars it never ends Eh 

• Like 1