BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
livingez_123

2001 Ford Excursion

Let's say an Excursion ends up in my possession with a very blown up 7.3 not that I'm practical in most things what would you guys do with it?

Cummins swap? CR or later 6.7? 12V....nah, to smokey.

But another 7.3 and be done with it?

Maybe something different?

It's not a done deal by any means, just kicking around ideas

I should add that it's a limited 4x4 with leather and 165k miles. Body is close to perfect and the interior is very clean. Retail is about $10,300 according to NADA.

Edited by livingez_123

CR swaps are not simple and not expensive.  7.3 is a respected motor and sought after by some.   A 7.3 failing at those Miles is Rare that's kinda a red flag for how the overall rig was maintained.

6 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

CR swaps are not simple and not expensive.  7.3 is a respected motor and sought after by some.   A 7.3 failing at those Miles is Rare that's kinda a red flag for how the overall rig was maintained.

pmr rods were a real failure point in that year

• Like 1

Dave are they to heavy to go 4BT?  That set up you had in the Bronco made great power, would it be enough for this weight?

I would hope a zf6 or whatever Ford 6 spd manuals are. The shift nice, and stay nice. 

3 hours ago, stroketeck said:

yes zf6 speed

Do you prefer the manuals over the autos or are they just easier to swap?

The 5r110 seems to be a decent transmission but I guess mating it to the Cummins would add another $1,000 to the bill.

The best value is just going to another 7.3, the market will be bigger and the cost less. You would just need a short block from a forged rod engine and swap the rest over.  If you were going to keep it and wanted the 6BT or had a customer in line that would pay $$$ for the 6BT then maybe. But that's just me.

7.3's that don't need a rebuild are getting harder to find, and a cummins is less expensive to build. JMOI. i would be interested in the excursion if it comes for sale

• Like 1