BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
GTroyer

Learned a valuable lesson yesterday

I was getting ready to leave Parker Az.  Walking pretrip trailer check and noticed a soft tire .. didn’t take a air pump this trip ( still in old truck) .. borrowed a cheeeepo get you out of a jam one , pumped for an hour holding cig lighter cord ( bad cord) and got it to about 40 lbs enough to limp to tire shop ... while there looking at tire for nail or issue saw the tell tail sign of separation on tire so bought new tire .. while the fellow was mounting it I was looking at other tires and there was steel cord showing on inside edge of tire right behind the one being replaced , so started looking at all the tires close and found another one starting to separate ( big hump    On inside edge) so two new and new spare later and on the road 

lesson learned ... don’t do a pressure bump /gauge test and outside visual tread but stick your head in there and look at the entire tire 

good news is i have 4 brand new Michelin’s XPS in the garage that I bought for my truck that I recently blew the engine on .. so now to mount them up on these rims and have GREAT tires v/s the junk the factory mounts up 

oh BTW the factory mounted were Goodyear Marathons 16” “ heavy duty” .. ya right my Azz 

have to have an axle alignment  / inspection looked at also to be sure the issue isn’t a axle issue 

Edited by GTroyer

Sound like an axel might be a tad out of alignment. Or possibly the spindle is slightly bent?

33 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

I was getting ready to leave Parker Az.  Walking pretrip trailer check and noticed a soft tire .. didn’t take a air pump this trip ( still in old truck) .. borrowed a cheeeepo get you out of a jam one , pumped for an hour holding cig lighter cord ( bad cord) and got it to about 40 lbs enough to limp to tire shop ... while there looking at tire for nail or issue saw the tell tail sign of separation on tire so bought new tire .. while the fellow was mounting it I was looking at other tires and there was steel cord showing on inside edge of tire right behind the one being replaced , so started looking at all the tires close and found another one starting to separate ( big hump    On inside edge) so two new and new spare later and on the road 

lesson learned ... don’t do a pressure bump /gauge test and outside visual tread but stick your head in there and look at the entire tire 

good news is i have 4 brand new Michelin’s XPS in the garage that I bought for my truck that I recently blew the engine on .. so now to mount them up on these rims and have GREAT tires v/s the junk the factory mounts up 

oh BTW the factory mounted were Goodyear Marathons 16” “ heavy duty” .. ya right my Azz 

have to have an axle alignment  / inspection looked at also to be sure the issue isn’t a axle issue 

How old is trailer? Tires don’t seem to last I had one separate 3 years ago changed it the next year before leaving lake for the summer I found another bad one I took three up with me turns out all three was separated sucks mounting in the rough better than blowout. I now run Carlisle they are speed rated to 81 mph at capacity. I always check before leaving after sitting up there 5 months I have sears hotdog compressor it’s impressive for size it will air to 80 psi under five minutes 

2015 bought in early 2016 new, max miles on it is around 15K now 

Robert .. agree on possible axle alignment or hub issue 

VERY VERY lucky on finding before I got on the road , would have been a bad deal to be along side the road on long drive day in heavy winds ,

or snow and ice as it was as I got to Sparks again lucky there as it was only starting the last 40 miles or so. 

Edited by GTroyer

Check tire manufacturing dates. Anything thats past five years can/will be an issue. Even if new never used Tires break down. I wouldn’t run anything that’s close to or past the stale date.

jmho

There will be a week and a year of manufacture. 
I found several we couldn’t sell at the dealership.

for example 2418 is 24th week of 2018. These are already two years old so they legally have three years left.

I found numbers like this 3412, 4513. Duds 

Had to slash the sidewalls and recycle.

Edited by Scotty_

Yep, Scotty is dead on.  It's the tires breaking down you have to worry about mostly on a trailer.  Very few people tow them enough to have the tire ware out from use.

I did the boat trailer last year for exactly this reason.  My fenders on the boat trailer are big bucks so the tire isn't the big concern its what happens after it lets go that is.

Scotty , absolutely right

again my bad and lesson learned with an exclamation point .. also a heads up to others , I was lucky as I was about to be on the road and just happened to have a soft tire to start the day causing a lucky find of other issues. 

My boat trailer is in a closed shop out of UV damaging light. I have tire covers on my travel trailer.

UV rays damage rubber over time.. 

I  check my tires closely very regularly as I have had a few catastrophic blow outs over the years.
That’s never fun! 

Even less than 5 year old tires can and do fail. Don't ask how I know this.🤔😁

There’s a liability issue running expired tires if there’s an incident.

We have 168 new tires that have been stored indoors that we looked into selling at 10 cents on the dollar. Can’t do it. Maybe its different for private non business in Canada but it’s not in the USA. I’ve run really old tires when I was a kid. Never when I was commercial. Probably did without knowing when I was unaware of this regulation.

I never ran to 2/32 in the rear and 4/32 front.

Disposed of them at 7-6/32.

I had a slow leak on an old Jeep once and I pulled into Discount Tire to have them fix it. They looked at the tire and saw it was 11yrs old. Not only did they not touch the tire or try to find the leak, they wouldn't even put air in it. I had to ask them to leave the house out and I'd put air in it myself.