Frank is not well...

Just now, Torque Monkey said:

If you don't look for a problem, you won't find one..... am I right?

You're not wrong. But...... if Frank loses a bottom end... who's problem does it become?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I bring the beer, can I watch?       

I think Ben already removed those.  This is Frank's way of getting back for the neutering. 

One of those missing 10mm sockets?   Only thing upstream is the venturi for pcv and a MAF sensor.     

Not mine... I'm in the repair department. Not transportation.

Honestly, its a bone stock 2002 Jetta wagon with a billion miles and an auto trans. It isn't worth fixing if the bottom end is gone. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Not mine... I'm in the repair department. Not transportation.

Honestly, its a bone stock 2002 Jetta wagon with a billion miles and an auto trans. It isn't worth fixing if the bottom end is gone. 

And I'd be more worried about the auto trans than the bottom end.

• Like 1

I bought my 06 with the turbo shaft in 2 pieces had no oil in pan I’ve put 110k on it now the camshaft is another story but nothing failed from the blown turbo the smoke outta the exhaust was impressive for about 50 miles. 

6 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

068fa72013dc1fede40d6162c7f9d5a5.jpg

51515db4e541f7852ae3f89633e3c5c3.jpg

Looks like something went through it but I have no idea what...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, definitely worse than mine.

1 minute ago, Torque Monkey said:

Yup! Happier than a clam.

Why are the Germans so temperamental my new car will not lock with key or remote if your sitting inside can lock with button 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note regarding some comments here...

If you run these things low on oil it'll be the top end that will cook first (well, the turbo can go first, depends on what the stresses are at the time).  Bottom ends on these things seems to take far more strategic approaches to destroy.

My wife's daughter drove her ALH Jetta wagon with the oil light on.  WTH?  The guy we bought it from, the one who was an "expert," who told me that you can individually adjust the injection on each cylinder, and who didn't bother to change out the TB components when he replaced the belt and water pump, failed to secure the oil feed line and it ended up cracking and breaking.  As this happened up in its home turf in BC a shop up there dealt with it: fortunately I caught them in time before they started it up- the mechanics were out to lunch and were going to return and fire it up after replacing the line.   I made it CLEAR to the service person on the other end of the line that they are to INSPECT the turbo BEFORE they attempt to start it: it was deemed OK.  Turbos cook first, top end second.  This car has tried as hard as it can to kill itself but it keeps failing.  I had a beefed up trans module installed as a gamble to ward off a trans error (one of the best things one can do is to run a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge- I have outfitted all TDIs that have been in the family with one) and the trans hasn't complained once since- I figure the costs have been fully depreciated by now (over 3 years now, perhaps 4?).