BOMBER Board
4x4manonbroke

05 Jetta TDI dead

We have a TDI Jetta at the shop.... Bosses daughters car, while driving one day it just stopped running ... Towed to shop and we're finding no power in several places.

No ignition power no lights on dash etc... Anyone got an idea of what to test and where that part is would be very helpful I'm not an electric guy... I just build the engine's

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Ok so we checked the fusable links ... Everything is good there ... Just took 5 min to check.... Looking into relay next... Might spare 5 min to look that over ... I'll keep ya posted

Ok so I have had a little bit of time under the dash... That said I see no relay 109, in fact all I see it 2 460 relays and 153 relay.

Starter inhibitor is what our electronic guy thinks is the issue but I haven't had much time to spend ... Thier also thinking the ignition is the issue ?
I love German engineering but thier diagrams are totally bs to attemt to read unless that's what u know

Being 05 which motor does it have? I know the 109 was alh where somewhere around 05 they went brm completely different setup 

Here's what we have to work with.... I can get I'd plate with vin if needed35916bb104fa0dd004365e0ba65e6531.jpg85040fb0dffff90e4c8be6b57c72e497.jpg

It’s the brm no injection pump it’s all done off the cam and electronic. Same motor my 06 has 

Good question not sure I’m willing to use mine in my driveway if possible to help troubleshoot could test and pull fuse unfortunately due to location would be via phone or text 

• Like 1

Is it a reputable VW shop with the Proper vcds software?

Also does it start for 2 seconds and then quit? If it was the immobilizer you would see a key symbol in the cluster. Also the 109 relay is in the engine compartment on the firewall in the master cylinder area.

• Like 1

Is it a reputable VW shop with the Proper vcds software?
Also does it start for 2 seconds and then quit? If it was the immobilizer you would see a key symbol in the cluster. Also the 109 relay is in the engine compartment on the firewall in the master cylinder area.
Lol.... We're doing the work here at our shop... Bosses daughters car, that said I just haven't found the relay.
It will not crank or start unless we run a jumper to starter, then it will bump over just fine.
I'll look on the firewall and see what I can find thanks for the details.

98567e727bdcd73bc9a4ea69c855b38d.jpg
Mine has a 100 relay if pulled while running car dies it will crank and not start with it pulled, I didn’t see a 109 this is located next to battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73484dd97a310e2b78965a4152a388d6.jpg

Also various fuses on the side pictured I would test all fuses with volt meter very likely problem is somewhere in this area left side between battery and strut tower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so when the key is on all the dash works come to life ...
No relay under or behind so near the master cylinder... ?under dash maybe ?
Also when u turn key to on position we cannot shift car to any gear ?
Is this all saying relay 109 still ... And darn they hid that thing good 7348ef4dec6983b949c2bc00514a3838.jpgc01c3ef84b63e2d3855a56445e19aa06.jpg08535580fa9177ff2851940d01497a21.jpg

Your foot is on the brake when you try to shift it out of park?
Yeah tried everything... Seatbelt on and all that.... Nada

does it start now that you have ignition, when you manually crank the starter?
I'll have to check it out I'm not sure... I have not tried to turn ignition on and jump starter but I will test that

does it start now that you have ignition, when you manually crank the starter?
Ok so ignition on jumping starter still results in no running

John,

It sounds to me like there is an issue with the ignition switch in the column. Easy way to check is to find the wire going to the solenoid on the starter. Hook a multimeter to that wire on the red side of the meter. Connect the black side to the ground on the battery and turn the meter to DC. When you have someone turn the key you should see some where around 12V on the meter. If you get 12V the issue is most likely with the starter. If nothing happens my bet is the ignition switch has burnt up. I had to replace several on my Daughter's 2004. Never did figure out why they burnt. First indication was the heater and windshield wipers stopped working. We fixed it when some one hit her and totaled the car.

John,

It sounds to me like there is an issue with the ignition switch in the column. Easy way to check is to find the wire going to the solenoid on the starter. Hook a multimeter to that wire on the red side of the meter. Connect the black side to the ground on the battery and turn the meter to DC. When you have someone turn the key you should see some where around 12V on the meter. If you get 12V the issue is most likely with the starter. If nothing happens my bet is the ignition switch has burnt up. I had to replace several on my Daughter's 2004. Never did figure out why they burnt. First indication was the heater and windshield wipers stopped working. We fixed it when some one hit her and totaled the car.
Yes that is what we are thinking is going on ... Our electrician/mechanic seems to think it's ignition related somehow ... We can make the starter turn engine over by using my power probe as the ignition signal to starter power and she kicks right over but even with ignition on still no run.

24 minutes ago, 4x4manonbroke said:

Yes that is what we are thinking is going on ... Our electrician/mechanic seems to think it's ignition related somehow ... We can make the starter turn engine over by using my power probe as the ignition signal to starter power and she kicks right over but even with ignition on still no run.

That is why I say you need to check if there is 12 volts to the ignition wire on the starter when the key is turned. That will tell you everything you should need to know to pick the right direction.

If your electrician was thinking that, why didn’t he check it?

That is why I say you need to check if there is 12 volts to the ignition wire on the starter when the key is turned. That will tell you everything you should need to know to pick the right direction.

If your electrician was thinking that, why didn’t he check it?
He may have already done that before I got involved... I can ask him more tomorrow