BOMBER Board
GTroyer

Well it’s time .. winterize again

Took my Honda Genset and my pancake compressor over to the trailer a few minutes ago .. pulled the anode rod and drained the hot water tank , didn’t get out of the way fast enough and soaked my front side good lol 

then proceeded to blow all the lines and fittings , toilet valve , shower lines with remote head 

good thing I did it today as it’s cold out there with freezing temps called for tonight. Got freezing rain while I was there too. 

So that winter duty is out of the way , now to deal with landscaping close down / end of season pruning n clean up ( we have a lot of landscaping shrubs n such 🥴 ) 

not today though lol warmer later this week so I’ll wait . 

I know many of you don’t like blowing the lines n valves but I’d rather do that than run the pink junk through my lines 😁 I use about 20 lbs pressure and open each valve one at a time until zero drops of water come out and on to all until they all have been done then go back a couple mire times and do again to be sure they are dry. When that is done I leave the valves all open same with outside shower. 

All P and J traps are filled and a gallon is added into the black n grey tanks for any residual water fluids in there . 

Ill have to go back with a battery ( I already pulled them for the winter , in garage now) so I can run the water pump with air in the system .. getting old is a bitch lol 

• Like 2

In 10 plus years I’ve blown mine out every year best part is add water and go no flushing last year for convenience due to where trailer was stored I used pink stuff in the lines this spring I remember why I hate it. Forgot always put pink in drains I also hook up the “ tank flush “ and blow it out

Edited by yogi_160

Wife and I do it together, she's inside and I'm out doing the low point drains and outside shower. Still have a couple of bottles of the pink, I put a few ounces in the sink and shower traps. It is left over from the one time I used it. 

I winterize mine by taking it somewhere that it doesn't freeze.😎🌞☀️🌄🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a couple months before I leave and snow and very low temps before I leave so got to lol .. not by choice though lol

it really doesn’t take long these days takes almost as long to drive over to the storage lot as it does to winterize it. 

Momma wont leave earlier do to grandkids  /Christmas ect. so got to put up with it. 

14 hours ago, GTroyer said:

I have a couple months before I leave and snow and very low temps before I leave so got to lol .. not by choice though lol

it really doesn’t take long these days takes almost as long to drive over to the storage lot as it does to winterize it. 

Momma wont leave earlier do to grandkids  /Christmas ect. so got to put up with it. 

I hear the part about kids/grandkids. We plan to get to AJ around 11/1, the Mrs. will fly home for Thanksgiving and stay through Christmas. Puppy and I batch it for a month.🤔

Mine gets to rest in the neighbors semi heated RV garage....  so to winterize, I just have to carefully back it in. 

• Haha 1

I pulled the anode, bypassed and drained the hot water heater. Drained all the tanks and ran anti freeze through the hot and cold water systems. Shut down and cleaned the refrigerator and put the cover on the camper for the winter. Looks like I did it just in time. It is crazy cold today....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pulled the anode, bypassed and drained the hot water heater. Drained all the tanks and ran anti freeze through the hot and cold water systems. Shut down and cleaned the refrigerator and put the cover on the camper for the winter. Looks like I did it just in time. It is crazy cold today....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was a balmy 31F at the house at 3:30 this morning.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It was 28 at my place around 8am. I've drained the water heater but haven't blown out the lines. Just checked forecast. Sounds like its time to let it hog the shop space until it warms up.

• Like 1

15F at the house this morning. That new thermostat in the Jetta is doing much better keeping the little fella up to temp.
I’ll take this over Reginas weather any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drained all the water out of my fifth wheel and ran the pump until it was empty, but I have not blown the lines out like I normally do.   I might still get one weekend of tailgating in.   I hope nothing is frozen.  Been down to the low 20's here.   

Out working in shirt sleeves today. Might winterize the trailer tomorrow if it’s not too hot out. 
Gotta blow out the in ground lawn sprinklers sometime soon too... 

Ok, got a good price at Home Depot in Abbotsford for RV antifreeze.. $4.47 Canadian $$ per gallon jug.

Usually get 3 and have a bit left over. Might get 4 at that price...

Shouldn’t take  long at all to run the pink stuff through the pipes and p traps.

Gotta make sure I don’t forget the outside shower too,lots of folks forget that ...

All done, didn’t take more than 20 minutes. I also put Dry-Z-Air units in the trailer to keep it low moisture during the winter.

Every 3 or 4 weeks I empty  the water out of each unit and replenish the powder.. 

There are 7 units in my trailer. It seems to keep the trailer dry and moisture free over the fall and winter.

I don’t have the option of a plug in unit as there is no power at the place I store the trailer at.

Nothing worse than a moldy trailer interior. 
I also put a proper cover on it that breaths, not a tarp that traps moisture in..

The joys of having an RV in our wet climate..

de-winterizing, replacing the toilet, and I replaced the thermostat today.  I will get the plumbing work done tomorrow. Then I'll fill up the propane and water, and probably get a new pair of GC-2 batteries. We might do a little sheltering-in-another-place :)

The furnace would fire up but would not turn off. I thought about it a while and figured it was likely the thermostat. 

Someday when I don't live in my trailer I will have to remember to do all of this again.

We’ve had snow past couple days but mostly night before and last night , got about 4” is all but the most this season on the floor of the Reno/Sparks Bowl been a light year for snow around here. Way early to open up for spring. Forecasts are more snow over the next week. Home is at 4636’ according to the altimeter app. On the phone. 

We are hunkering down also , went out today for the first time in three week as I’ve been fighting a bad chest cold and didn’t want to pass that on to others as well as the possibility of exposing myself to the virus in weakened condition. 

Kelly higher elevations around this part of the states are still getting snow , traveler beware 

Edited by GTroyer