It was a true bad Tuesday. I had a flat tire on my out side driver side rear tire. as I was lower the spare, the spare was flat and I found my rear left shock was leaking bad. I went to Schwab. They fixed the tire. They fixed both my tires. Im super late for work. They wanted to charge me for the repairs. I said no and showed them the receipts. Well after waiting for the manager and talking to him. I was on my way to work. Driving down I-90 ( Spokane) I lost 5th gear. There was some words said and I down shift into 4th gear and I got my power back. Drove to work. Then after a crappy day at work. I drove home. 

Today was a day where my wife and I had no kids. where going to go on a long date. Instead was a day where she did her thing and I worked on the truck.   I inspected my drive line first. I got some play in the output shaft of the tcase. I need to get that fixed. Oil looks okay. From the smell of it, it was ATF. I drained the transmission fluid and it looked okay until it got to the end and it was from a brown/ blackish color to silver/brown mix. BOOO Removed the back half of the transmission and found the 5th gear nut was all the way off and it was missing some metal pieces off of it. So it looks like i'll be removing the transmission. So its been a crappy couple of days. 

Well on the bright side. I dont have a hole in the case. knock on wood.    

If anyone here worked on their NV4500, and rebuilt theirs. I would like pick your brain on where to get parts at. 

65138724_10157198086928407_6109429638113525760_o.jpg

64630865_10157198087058407_705383794944770048_o.jpg

Edited by Project_dog

NV 4500?

super common.

They make various patch kits for it.

I patched mine with an early G56 many YEARS AGO.

when i had my 97  i lost 5th and we use the updated nut. lasted about a year it came off again. so i went with the quad 4x4 mainshaft.  and its still working  today.

When they made the Ram they chose the cheapest parts available.

But the parts that may fail and fall off are made to the highest qualities known to pencil pushers.

Sometimes if there is enough threads on the shaft you can use a jamb nut behind the OEM nut. Or you can try the split nut fix they have. Or you can drill and tap the nut for a set screw. Or if you want a real backyard fix you can put a new nut tightened to the proper torque and weld it! Believe it or not that fix has failed too!

I was lucky with my 97, never a nut issue just the snap ring below it.

• Thanks 1

This might be a really good idea! 

• Like 1

Hoss posted my suggestion, be done with that transmission....

I have a surfaced ready to install flywheel for it and I believe I have a good condition used clutch for it as well. You can have it for the cost of surfacing the flywheel $100.00

• Thanks 1

i did it to my 1998, POC  (piece of cake)   G56

You need a BIG hammor to bang out the tunnel a little

shorten the rear Drive shaft 3.5 and lengthen front 3.5

stretch the transfer case shift rod 3.5 , do something to the cross memeber.......cant remember ...CRS

All in all was simple enough

Well it looks like I'm going to rebuild my nv4500.  All I need is the updated output shaft. I'm going to replace the bearings, synchro's, UJoints, transfer case seals. I pulled the clutch, and the rear main is leaking. I'm going to put a new clutch in. Should I go with a bigger input shaft? 

IMG_20190622_225025_923.jpg

IMG_20190622_225025_925.jpg

yes, do the bigger input.... if you don't believe me I can send you a picture of one of the stock ones "candy caned"!!!!!!!

I deleted my last thread. I'm trying not to make so many threads.

I upgraded my clutch to a Southbend 1947- OFEK With the 1 and 3/8" input shaft. I already had the Southbend updated clutch slave. Updated transmission main shaft, updated 5th gear, with updated 5th gear nut. Installed all new bearing Kit races, seals, gaskets and shift fork pads, synchronize ring kit and resealed the rear seal. I took apart the transfer case and resealed it too, but I didn't take any pictures.  

I had a hard time installing the transmission due to my pitted concrete drive way. So I came up with idea is to put a piece of 1/2" plywood down and bought a Harbor Freight Transmission jack. After I did that, it went in smooth. That transmission jacked helped installed the transfer case.  I need to put some new u-joints in the rear and front drive line. Installed a short shiftier in the truck. I like how it reduce the throw by 30%. But it something didn't feel right. After driving around for 2 days. I was unable to get the transmission into gear. then all of sudden I was able to get into gear. then after 4 more days, It happen again. I was able to get a tow from another fellow dodge person. waited for a tow truck for 2.5 hours. then all of a sudden, I was able to get it into gear. took the chance and drove it home. I talked to my old man about it. I removed the short shiftier and installed the stock one and feels better. No leaks so far. Its hard not to get on the gobabygo petal, Im only 182 miles out of 300 miles of breaking in my clutch. 

Enjoy the pictures. 

67823531_10157322368928407_4797677025970094080_n.jpg

70201280_10157401695828407_1883961836450086912_o.jpg

70316264_10157401695883407_7338667613444112384_o.jpg

69803504_10157401695933407_8701392811557126144_o.jpg