HOSS

I got a recall notice for my truck

Here is the issue

On January 25, 2019, Ram recalled 573,876 Ram 3500. Chrysler (fca us llc) is recalling certain 2013-2017 ram 3500 and 2014-2017 ram 3500 chassis cab and ram 2500 vehicles. the outboard steering linkage jam nut may loosen, allowing one end of the drag link to separate.

The notice they sent me says they do not have a fix at this time but I will receive a notice when they do.

I did some interweb reading from what found their plan is to check it and replace the drag link assembly or weld the nut to the sleeve as required.

I AM NOT LETTING THOSE DOPES WELD ANYTHING ON MY TRUCK!

I remember when the hitch issue started on the second gens I took mine in and was told the fix was to install additional brackets to the hitch to reinforce it. Well the service guys got tired of drilling holes for the bolts so they just fired up a cutting torch and burned holes through the frame! My bumper cover was all melted and covered in slag and they fought me about replacing the cover! I am thinking I will just check it out and replace the jam nut myself if needed.

This is for 2013- 2017 trucks

I wouldn’t let those service Guys vacuum my truck. I got a recall on the F 150 that they want to reprogram the transmission because it will shift into 1st gear at any moment. I guess it happened to 5 people and there was a lawsuit for whiplash. I don’t want them touching it.

I wouldn’t let those service Guys vacuum my truck. I got a recall on the F 150 that they want to reprogram the transmission because it will shift into 1st gear at any moment. I guess it happened to 5 people and there was a lawsuit for whiplash. I don’t want them touching it.
My dad got the same one. Not sure if he took it in yet.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Just now, Austin The DieselTech said:

My dad got the same one. Not sure if he took it in yet.

The notice I got was the same as what Hoss got. There is a problem but we don’t have a fix yet. Nice of them to let you know you could be driving a problem and they aren’t going to do anything...

Hoss .. suggest a drilled keeper/cotter pin hole 

The notice I got was the same as what Hoss got. There is a problem but we don’t have a fix yet. Nice of them to let you know you could be driving a problem and they aren’t going to do anything...
Yea kinda like the tie rod issue on the 2012. "It may break but parts are not available yet."

They've extended that to my 2018.....

The 'fix' is to weld the nuts to the adjustment sleeve.  No longer will you be able to align the pickup after the 'fix' is done without replacing the components.

I'll pass.  Red loctite it is!

• Like 1

They've extended that to my 2018.....

The 'fix' is to weld the nuts to the adjustment sleeve.  No longer will you be able to align the pickup after the 'fix' is done without replacing the components.

I'll pass.  Red loctite it is!

Amen!!!

Just received the notice about "welding the nut"
100_6830.thumb.JPG.18b17cc22f84b0bf5f8a004e8c5a14d2.JPG
From what I read a guy should stop just short of the dealer and loosen the nut.
  • Haha 1

Soo I have 3 open recalls on my truck. I brought my truck into the local   dealer to see if they would change the tpms to a reasonable psi . They assured me they would/could I asked them not to waste my time or  their time if they would not / could not change the tpms. So brought the truck in I live 40 miles away, arranged a ride and left my truck. Not  even 15  minutes later a call, we can not change your tpms. I pick up the truck without saying a much to the service manager he could see my displeasure. I get a customer care call on the way home saying they wanted to help me, I said fix the tpms they said they could not. Gave me free synthetic oil changes through 100,000 miles. Check the service write up and it says sheet metal work.

So I changed the water pump myself, locked the jam nut and ignored the other recall.

I will not bring my truck back to that dealer to check the air in my tires. Why would I bring the truck there to work on the engine or suspension.

I have free oil changes on the truck but I do not feel safe letting the dealer change the oil for me. I do not want them to touch my truck again.

• Like 1

I know my 10 has recalls I called to make appointment over a month ago still no response 

That’s crazy! 😳  I must say I have absolutely phenomal service taking my 2nd gen to my dealer.  A bit of a drive but well worth it! 🤣

4 hours ago, kcv67 said:

Soo I have 3 open recalls on my truck. I brought my truck into the local   dealer to see if they would change the tpms to a reasonable psi . They assured me they would/could I asked them not to waste my time or  their time if they would not / could not change the tpms. So brought the truck in I live 40 miles away, arranged a ride and left my truck. Not  even 15  minutes later a call, we can not change your tpms. I pick up the truck without saying a much to the service manager he could see my displeasure. I get a customer care call on the way home saying they wanted to help me, I said fix the tpms they said they could not. Gave me free synthetic oil changes through 100,000 miles. Check the service write up and it says sheet metal work.

So I changed the water pump myself, locked the jam nut and ignored the other recall.

I will not bring my truck back to that dealer to check the air in my tires. Why would I bring the truck there to work on the engine or suspension.

I have free oil changes on the truck but I do not feel safe letting the dealer change the oil for me. I do not want them to touch my truck again.

I believe you can change the TPMS values with a good OBD tool. Like the AlphaOBD.

5 hours ago, kcv67 said:

Read up on the AEV Procal.  It still requires a trip to the dealer, but you can fix your own TPMS. (as well as have fogs and high beams on at same time, adjust speedo, make changes when putting new diff gears in, and turn on/off the one touch lane change feature) . I assume this is for the 17

Got the recall notice that others have got with the solution of welding to outboard jam nut! 

Not a chance letting the mechanic at the dealership weld anything on a brand new truck .

Will Chrysler Canada pay for any further wheel alignment checks and adjustments? I will find out today..

Its says my truck “MAY” have been built with an outboard jam nut.... Does this mean some were not built with said offending nut?

Why the H E double hockey sticks would welding the nut be an answer to the problem?  Every time I get comfortable with the brand, the pull some sort of dumb azz thing out of their butts like this.  I just got rid of my 2018 Laramie Longhorn 1500 because it was a POS.  Couldnt keep up with the issues it was having.  Maybe its time to buy a ford. 

• Like 2

I got my new truck into the dealer in Mission.. I guess I expressed my concern about welding on a new truck and asked will the extra costs for future wheel,alignments and adjustment be covered. I had the service manager looking after me and I just told him I was in an 

unpleasant position.

Wanting a safe truck for my family and the other traveling public versus a welded nut as the fix.

They only put two small tack welds on the nut and I’m sure they could easily be cut if one was real careful.

Once it stops rain cats and dogs I will try and get a couple of pics.

Another thing that my neighbor who is a senior insurance investigator said,is if you ignore a safety recall like we have got,and the steering fails, the insurance company will use that to refuse payment and coverage, absolutely guaranteed! 

They look for any avenue to deny payment... 

I won’t put my family in that possible position at this stage of my life..

I think the service manager heard my concerns and I was firm but polite when I told him I expect his best welder to use the absolute least 

amount of welding possible to accomplish their objective.

Wondering out loud here , 1. how many of the  “professional “ mechanics also be smart enough to disconnect the ground straps from the batteries before the procedure. 

2. How many will weld it solid and cause heat re-tempering to the affected parts 

3. How many “mechanics” are skilled welders to get a weld v/s splatter crap weld some think is a weld. 

Guess I'm a pessimist , also why only a very few people will touch my rigs . 

That’s why I basically interviewed the service manager and pretty much needed his confirmation they had someone of skill .

The frame guy from their body shop came in a gave his advice and help too...

I guess they knew I was familiar enough with MIG and TIG to know that most mechanics don’t have a lot of welding finesse.

Why aren't they double nutting it?  Putting a Cotter key through it?  Just two things off the top of my head.