p2computing

Bought a 97 4x4, guy lied about a few things....

Hey Fellas,

Sooooo, i picked up a 97 Ram 2500 4x4.. At first glance it looked pretty good. 170k miles,  AFC still wire tied, stock fuel plate, blow-by wasn't strong enough to make the oil filler cap dance at all, trans was tight, new clutch.

I parked it overnight, and there was a MASSIVE puddle under the t-case in the morning.

Long story short, i removed the trans and T-case only to find a massive crack in the NP241DLD housing (The large side), and a sheared bolt in the input shaft housing... Good times.

So, any chance one of you guys has a T-case for sale? If not, possibly the case for it? I'd also happily upgrade to an NP241DHD

If there are other Tcase options out there, i'm all ears!!

Thanks!

You should be able to buy the front half from any decent supplier and just swap the guts over.

Transtar comes to mind in the seattle area.

Can i use any NP241 case for this swap over? I was only searching for NP241DLD, and have found zero helpful results.  I've also been looking for bearing / seal kits for this, and most are labelled for NP241DHD

The DHD is a wider chain, so I would guess one side or the other is also made wider.?  

I was thinking of switching to a 271 or 205 transfer case.

I talked to some experts, one guy was a "go to" and teaches. 

He sais the 271 is not better as it has a longer chain then 241 and stretches more EZ .

The 205 can be married with expansive adapters.

All and all the cheapest thing to do is find a cover that will replace the busted side

.'Should be EZ as ebay always has a bunch.

I checked the flea-bay, but didn't see any front cases for NP271DLD.. I'll check again over the next couple days

Call this Man, he does these every day and has forgotten more then most of us will ever know.

he prolly has what you need.

315 559 5877

edd

Turned out to be a great chat. He has the case I need and the bearings to rebuild. Thanks!!

He is the Man.

afaik  THE COMPANIES COME TO HIM FOR IDEAS, like NP. and fixes.

He s in their home twn Syracuse, NY

You can try Idaho transmission warehouse in Boise they would have everything you need 2083788183

Well, 2 incorrect T-case halves from North Country Gear later, my transfer case is still out of the truck. I sent photos over, discussed numerous times which truck this is for (97 Ram 2500 4x4, NV4500, 12 Valve Cummins), and included the part number which is stamped on the case half. Still the wrong case half.

Does anyone happen to have an NP241DLD (Or similar) for sale? I need to be using this truck, and since buying it i've gotten to drive it once.... So bummed right now.

Well, 2 incorrect T-case halves from North Country Gear later, my transfer case is still out of the truck. I sent photos over, discussed numerous times which truck this is for (97 Ram 2500 4x4, NV4500, 12 Valve Cummins), and included the part number which is stamped on the case half. Still the wrong case half.

Does anyone happen to have an NP241DLD (Or similar) for sale? I need to be using this truck, and since buying it i've gotten to drive it once.... So bummed right now.

9dd1bb03701343453d0877997720ec42.jpg
Is this what you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm leaning toward a complete case now. I have already had this thing assembled and torn down 3 times. 

Are you finding same part numbers are different castings ?

Yes. I'll grab some examples here shortly. This current issue is that the threaded hole for the vacuum sender is missing on this case. Same part number for front case half, but different build.

If that is all that is wrong you could just add the Pozilock axle engage and do away with the vacuum system for the front axle.