Thinking of installing the manual inflators on the bumper of the new truck as a backup in case the compressor has issues when away on a trip towing a trailer.

Had several people recommend that,I have 3 extra tees and airline sitting in my shop.

With my luck, and the out of the way places I tow to ,it might be a good idea to have a backup method of filling the bags.

If you're ever going to have a slide in camper you might want to out the valves elsewhere.  My current and former trucks have them at the bottom of the body just in front of the rear wheels. Easily accessible and never had a problem with the valves getting gunked up.

Doug

And maybe a small 3-4’ length of air line in ditty box if you ever really go off road Incase a limb reaches up there and damages a line with a couple connectors 

just how I think and add weight to my truck box lol

in retrospect if lines are well placed probably not needed . I did have a problem but that was a flat tire tearing the bag and line

Edited by GTroyer

On my ‘16 I didn’t put in a pump. I have a 12 volt pump that plugs into the trailer plug. Hooked up so many different trailers, I knew where to stand and watch where my rear bumper was lining up on my leg. Rarely took more then a few seconds to inflate to height. My valves are my rear plate bolts. 

Thinking of putting the valves on the license plate . I will never have a slide in camper on the truck so access isn’t an issue.

Being as I already have the compressor purchased it’s going to get installed. 

Having a backup method of inflating the bags seems like a no brainer  to me...

Weighing the options of where to mount the compressor.

If my new truck was a pavement princess I would mount it on the frame rail under the box.

But, I use the truck periodically on gravel and mud. Also the odd watercrossing,not submarine death but 1 to 2 feet.

Thinking of tucking a nice bracket slightly elevated of the floor in the front right corner on the side. Sort of behind the wheel hump.

I can still slide cargo into the box then and it won’t interfere with anything sliding around.

Could mount under rear seat could also use the forgotten storage compartments in rear floor.  

Do you have tool box or fuel tool combo if so section off a piece for air pump

Edited by GTroyer

My hunting partner made a good comment today. He said even though we go into some remote country hunting, we are 60 years old now,not 25! 

When was the last time we crossed any water deeper than a foot ? Years....

We drive around mud bogs not through the middle of them like we used to.

In reality, the latest acquisition will be a gravel road queen and not a rock crawler/mud bogger ...

Looks like the frame rail is the easiest and most appropriate .

Thankyou Mr. Pringle and Mr. Quinn....

The in floor storage bin in the back seat would be my go to spot after Austin showed how he did his.

old and young farts alike would have easy access and it’s safe there.

• Like 1

It would be pretty noisie,but, if it’s only for the airbags and there are no leaks, it would seldom run  after the pressure is set..

Hmmm... more food for thought..

Edited by Abbyfireguy

You could install a small air tank / reservoir under the bed and have the reserve air needed to keep the pump to a minimal amount of run time 

Got 2 ubolts custom built. Tough to find 8 inch wide ubolts. The compressor will be mounted on the frame, tucked up in a fairly sheltered area..

Probably just me,but I am averse to drilling holes in a new truck frame.🤭😱.

2 ubolts with nuts washers and plates were under $10. It should be a clean install tucked up high on the frame.

Weather next week is looking downright summerish from what we have had lately..

Next week might be the airbag install time. I have the bags preassembled and everything ready .

Gotta get it done before I start driving the Kenworth to Alberta soon.

Once that starts I won’t get much done here for 10 weeks...🤪 

• Like 1

d453f99d5ebf332059b26f0616cad6e0.jpg

73e2c027a8d51f1a8377b6e6166373d9.jpg

Got the compressor mounted today. The ubolts I had made worked well to tuck the compressor up higher than the factory single ubolt did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98bfa2e820d42009a508d9782ade8d58.jpg

f9e189915343b046688bbc36e79ea791.jpg

The factory method used one ubolt and stood the compressor on end and it hung down below the frame.. Very poor mounting design in my humble opinion. Too easy to get damaged unnecessarily.
Might be ok for a pavement princess, but I don’t own one of those!

Spent an hour or so and got both airbags installed before the shoulder said enough,I quit.
Nice afternoon, sitting back with. Keto friendlydd2440c22640f1ed44b680745dba6a60.jpgb5a9a02714ed0526c2f583a9c77f4c8f.jpg beverage now.