Camping trip this spring/summer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

My father in law told me about Train Mt. Looks like a fun place, 36 miles of minuture train track pluse a train museum.

trainmtn.org/tmrr/index.shtml

Also near Crater Lake. My thought is take a trip down 97. Start in Yakama and end up at Train Mt?
Anyone interested?

#2 GTroyer

GTroyer

Bigger than a Grizz, Gentler than a lamb!

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

Crater lake is one of the most pretty photo lakes anywhere With trains mixed in would be a fun loop

#3 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 9,729 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Cars, Family

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:42 AM

We plan to go down to crater lake at the end of July. I'll have to look it up

#4 GTroyer

GTroyer

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

Joe some nice campgrounds near there too

Mazama campground is in the park , and takes up to 35 trailer
Reservations a must and early

Edited by GTroyer, 29 November 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#5 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Joe some nice campgrounds near there too

Mazama campground is in the park , and takes up to 35 trailer
Reservations a must and early

I think we will have to stay outside the park.  With the fifth wheel being 38' some/most national parks are tough.   

#6 GTroyer

GTroyer

• Contributor
  • 22,827 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

yup if your that long for sure ... and you are 199% right about National Parks as most are old designs with no turning room or slots long enough for a big family rig.

couple years ago when I was traveling in Or. I had paid in advance reservations in a couple state parks , when I got to them and drove into and by the space I had I kept on driving as there was no way I could swing in on the very narrow park road happened twice as I had made trip plan in advance  LOL .. forfeited the $$ as expected as they were in advance paid through third party reservation places.  ended in KOA's or similar places at much higher summertime costal rates  LOL

Joe suggest reserve very EARLY as Crater Lake is very popular 

Edited by GTroyer, 29 November 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#7 jcasper

jcasper

I want to go FAST!!!!

• Members
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

yup if your that long for sure ... and you are 199% right about National Parks as most are old designs with no turning room or slots long enough for a big family rig.

couple years ago when I was traveling in Or. I had paid in advance reservations in a couple state parks , when I got to them and drove into and by the space I had I kept on driving as there was no way I could swing in on the very narrow park road happened twice as I had made trip plan in advance  LOL .. forfeited the $$ as expected as they were in advance paid through third party reservation places.  ended in KOA's or similar places at much higher summertime costal rates  LOL

Joe suggest reserve very EARLY as Crater Lake is very popular 

Yeah this is the big downside to a big fifth wheel.    

My wife and her mom are supposed to be making the plans.   Hopefully they get it done soon.    

#8 Drooling Piston

Drooling Piston
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dirt bikes, Camping & Diesels

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like an interesting trip.

my trailer is not a 5er but is still 34 ft long and I have the same trouble getting into places.

What time of year or month are you thinking and how long do you (your wife) plan to be gone?

#9 Vaughn MacKenzie

Vaughn MacKenzie

24V Club Cab

• Moderators
  • 8,211 posts
  • Interests:Diesel powered anything, from locomotives to diesel lawn mower! Also into a little photography, trains, & old cars.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

yeah train mountain is a cool place. It is 1/8 scale and they operate actual steam powered locomotives on the track, as well as "desel" locomotives which are actually gasoline powered. I visited there in 2005 and went on a couple of fairly long rides. it can take over an hour to make a trip without going on the same track twice. they have flat cars with seats on them, usually three to a car. they generally operate at 5 to 7 mph but since you're sitting though it feels faster than that. since they've laid so many miles of track it's not that smooth so it's a pretty bouncy, rough ride to go over 7 mph. The biggest downside is you pretty much have to buy a membership just to be able to come and visit and ride on the large track system. there is a much smaller track layout next-door which is free and operates on Sundays, but if you buy the membership which I think is around $50 you can show up when they are doing a meet which means there will be a lot of equipment there and cars and people willing to give rides. they do four or five meets a year, usually 3-4 days over a weekend. anyway you can Count me in!

#10 Lucky Jeff

Lucky Jeff
  • Contributor
  • 8,887 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

I'm in. The kids have been bugging me about actually go camping.

#11 Bob V

Bob V
  • Moderators
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

yeah train mountain is a cool place. It is 1/8 scale and they operate actual steam powered locomotives on the track, as well as "desel" locomotives which are actually gasoline powered. I visited there in 2005 and went on a couple of fairly long rides. it can take over an hour to make a trip without going on the same track twice. they have flat cars with seats on them, usually three to a car. they generally operate at 5 to 7 mph but since you're sitting though it feels faster than that. since they've laid so many miles of track it's not that smooth so it's a pretty bouncy, rough ride to go over 7 mph. The biggest downside is you pretty much have to buy a membership just to be able to come and visit and ride on the large track system. there is a much smaller track layout next-door which is free and operates on Sundays, but if you buy the membership which I think is around $50 you can show up when they are doing a meet which means there will be a lot of equipment there and cars and people willing to give rides. they do four or five meets a year, usually 3-4 days over a weekend. anyway you can Count me in!

Thanks for the info Vaughn! I was going to call and get more info.
I really won't know what my vacation times will be till all about April.

#12 Vaughn MacKenzie

Vaughn MacKenzie

24V Club Cab

• Moderators
  • 8,211 posts
  • Interests:Diesel powered anything, from locomotives to diesel lawn mower! Also into a little photography, trains, & old cars.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

You're welcome Bob!  So it looks like 2018 is their Triennial meet, which is always huge.  It will run from Monday June 25 to Sunday July 1st.  People come from all over the US with their equipment and even outside the US. They are already registering people and the price keeps going up . . .if you register by Dec 31st it's $60 for individual, goes up $5 every month.  There's family rates as well.
 Info. . .  http://trainmtn.org/.../tri_info.shtml

It won't be the only meet of the year though. First one is last weekend of April, then there's a narrow gauge meet the last weekend of May.  Then the big triennial meet, then the last weekend of July, and then Sept 7-9, then a final one the first weekend of October.  To participate in these is probably cheaper than the Triennial one.

#13 Vaughn MacKenzie

Vaughn MacKenzie

24V Club Cab

• Moderators
  • 8,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

Here's a short video to give you a little taste of what it's like there: https://youtu.be/Lol2i0vwLCY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users