BOMBER Board
Woodenhead

Plugged intake

On the way to work this morning my motor sounded like a kazoo around 2k RPM. After a bit of investigating I figured it was coming from somewhere in the intake. You could see the flex pipe sucking down when reving the motor.

Got home and tore the intake off. Apparently there's a pre filter/screen and a spring loaded bypass door (kazoo). It was all jammed solid and looks like it has been for a while. You can see all the leaks in the air box just by looking at the filter.

I can help but wonder if this contributed to my recent turbo seal failure.

D38AC531-D654-463D-9A1C-0ACBCC37FD0C.jpg

8468198F-4948-4AA5-AC08-CA7056D35B90.jpg

3D43EC6C-3BD2-45DA-8BDA-2BA51D279DCC.jpg

Yup! I believe they call that the snow screen. Very common to get plugged. Glad you got it figured out.

Yup! I believe they call that the snow screen. Very common to get plugged. Glad you got it figured out.

Figures I'm the last one to know lol.

Can I just hack out the screen or does my motor really need to be protected from the snow?

Figures I'm the last one to know lol.

Can I just hack out the screen or does my motor really need to be protected from the snow?

You drive in the snow a lot more than me but I removed mine when I read about how badly they clog up.

In beetles there is a piece of foam in the fender that will work its way to sealing the top end of the snorkel also.

Beetles have the snow box in the left front corner behind the bumper cover, it also has a big restriction in the piping between the snow box and AF housing. Mine is MIA.

Just gently cut out the screen with a sharp knife and all is good.. The air inlet pipe is a good vacuum cleaner.. Keep your air filter and air box clean... Your mileage will thank you...

• Like 1