BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
Torque Monkey

Changing Solenoids and installing a Transgo shift kit in an 01m

Buddy of mine talked me into doing this job for him. Had to pull the valve body out of the transmission. All in all it wasn't too bad. Just waiting on a new 1/4 drive torque wrench to finish.

This is the valve body removed.

2cd1c696c2cc5e65f1cd9673a14e1337.jpg

c9290e1164857dcd573ce5bf906dbb74.jpg

This is the valve body after the rebuild and shift kit installed.

c2e8795bdc0c9b820e5d7191e8e6c599.jpg

And this is the valve body back in the transmission.

7759b0548288d6448dc74531875a8520.jpg

I also found a hole in the upper charge pipe so I order parts to make a new one from aluminum tube. I will post pictures once more parts arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if it helps extend the trans life and shift quality. Those autos aren't known for their durability.

To be honest I am not sure. I drove it and it still feels like a slush box to me. I told the guy his issue was not with the transmission but he had it all figured out. Turns out the vanes are sticking in the turbo and is causing an overboost situation. I tried to free it up by removing the actuator and working it for what seemed like 2 hours (probably only 15 minutes) and no luck. Still sticking. I told the guy the turbo needed to be removed and cleaned and he told me it might be time to give up on it.... Are you in the market? I can ask what he wants to make it go away?

Not really interested in a Jetta, just curious about the shift kit and if it helped. I found a Beetle with an auto for a steal of a price. My ex had a Golf with an auto and we drove the stuffens out of it, never had a trans issue....then the timing belt let go.

I had a golf diesel [early one non turbo'ed ] one of the most amazing cars I ever had .... plenty of room for my big body ]in and out was a lil suffer as to height of the rig but once in PLENTY of room] ... well designed for rear trunk space in fact you could put an amazing of stuff back there even before dropping the seats for additional room] .. plenty of power for a commute rig even in mountains BUT you had to "learn" the transmission was needed to keep it in the power band [5 speed car] ... and of course GREAT fuel milage ... tire wear was also fantastic , I ran Perrelli P77's the all season high speed rated ones handling was like a slot car !!!

I lent it to a "friend" who had blown the engine in her car [should have been a red flag] as she never pulled a dip stick and ran it totally out of oil ... and she blew the engine in my Golf by not shifting it down when climbing the hills even after telling her to use the tranny and DO NOT Lug it.. we lived at 4000' and mountains / windy roads .. she pulled the pre chambers out of the head and ate the motor :( by lugging it .

sorry for hijack Ben ...

so how did the car turn out after the turbo fix ??

The Guy that owns the car hasn't decided what he wants to do yet. I told him I would pull the turbo and clean it but he may do the timing belt also and was talking about getting a new turbo for it. He still hasn't decided so it is sitting outside my shop at the moment.