BOMBER Board
HOSS

It's clutch time

I have noticed my fuel economy going down a little lately. My clutch has not been happy for some time now. 5th gear is useless under about 2500rpm if I hit the throttle the RPM's go up and the speed does not. As long as I baby it I am fine but a couple days ago I had a guy on hwy 530 going 35 in a 55 and I went to pass him and slipped the clutch in 4th gear. I am done! Peter will get a call Monday morning and new stage 3 daily driver clutch will be purchased. I waited as long as I could as funds are tight and I can't afford frivolous spending but this has to happen and I have heard good things about going to a new flywheel helping fuel economy. I hope this is true I really want to get my average mileage up to 50mpg.

• Like 1

I have noticed my fuel economy going down a little lately. My clutch has not been happy for some time now. 6th gear is useless under about 2500rpm if I hit the throttle the RPM's go up and the speed does not. As long as I baby it I am fine but a couple days ago I had a guy on hwy 530 going 35 in a 55 and I went to pass him and slipped the clutch in 5th gear. I am done! Peter will get a call Monday morning and new stage 3 daily driver clutch will be purchased. I waited as long as I could as funds are tight and I can't afford frivolous spending but this has to happen and I have heard good things about going to a new flywheel helping fuel economy. I hope this is true I really want to get my average mileage up to 50mpg.

i put a south bend in Wendy's car soon after the tuner, it has been great. on another note i have never found 6th gear in this car, where is it?

LOL, I was just scratching my head also..

I wonder if mine would slip in 6th or just make a hell of a racket..

How much work is it to do the clutch on one of these? For a guy without a lift.

I thought Russ somehow added another gear to his 5 spd beetle but maybe I'm wrong...probably wrong.

Don't know if i want to tackle it on the ground.

I've become spoiled by my lift.

They aren't too bad but it is a bit tricking getting the transmission out. You have to hold your tongue just right.

It also helps if you get one of those engine hangers that goes over the top of the engine.

I thought Russ somehow added another gear to his 5 spd beetle but maybe I'm wrong...probably wrong

It was simple, I twisted my radiator cap off, and drove another car underneath it! :)

Kelly - Skyking - has the knowledge you seek

You have to hold your tongue just right.

You must've watched me working on cars... :P:right:

• Like 1

Sorry I corrected my mistake. Been actually driving the truck a little lately and have 6 speed on the he brain.

• Like 1

Mark, I'd love to come give you a hand and kabbitz on the clutch install. Mine is gone now too, Ben can tell you about it. Max torque on my combo must be at 2200, because that is where 4th or 5th will slip every time if I wood it.

It slips till about 2600, then holds steady till the car catches up :D That 2600 number keeps getting higher........ :question:

I have a 6spd sitting on a pallet in my friends shop, I've had it for about 6 years now. Just one of those items you pick up along the way because you couldn't say no to the price. I have other items stashed away, but that's for another thread.

Just did flywheel on 06 jetta wasnt bad on the ground with tall truck style jack stands took me about 5 hrs start to finish had to pull the steering crap for room then all slipped out it is tight fit, i made a T with 2x4 and 4x4 to support motor while trans was out worked great, soon to do on wifes 12 jetta soon as funds allow it slips if you use the malone lol still fun to drive

Just did flywheel on 06 jetta wasnt bad on the ground with tall truck style jack stands took me about 5 hrs start to finish had to pull the steering crap for room then all slipped out it is tight fit, i made a T with 2x4 and 4x4 to support motor while trans was out worked great, soon to do on wifes 12 jetta soon as funds allow it slips if you use the malone lol still fun to drive

Thanks for the info. I was planning on making a engine support as well!

Tools needed are triple square set, torx set metric Allen and standard sockets, trilpe square is a must and saves frustration other than that its nuts and bolts like any car.

Well all I can say is Holy lack of room Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would much rather do a clutch in my truck than in my Jetta. What a royal pain it was getting that thing out! Since I have never done this it took me a while to read thru all the info and follow the removal process but man what a tight squeeze. I still have to go out this morning and finish buttoning up the loose ends. I am looking forward to taking it out for a drive. Man my old clutch was not happy!

good thing you lost all the weight Eh LOL

your lil tiny fingers might not have fit in there otherwise :)

Well all I can say is Holy lack of room Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would much rather do a clutch in my truck than in my Jetta. What a royal pain it was getting that thing out! Since I have never done this it took me a while to read thru all the info and follow the removal process but man what a tight squeeze. I still have to go out this morning and finish buttoning up the loose ends. I am looking forward to taking it out for a drive. Man my old clutch was not happy!

So sounds like a good time, especially for a guy to do with no lift and a bunch of jack stands :D.

You have a thing for Batman...............