livingez_123

what are good years and bad years for the Dmax?

I might as well broaden my search for a truck and include the GMC. The Allison is a good Transnission. But I don't know much about the Dmax.injectors were an issue in the early years.when did they get things right?

You want 06 and newer.

04.5 and newer are fairly inexpensive to replace injectors. 04.5 to 06 have the 5 spd trans that doesn't take as much abuse as a 6 spd.

I'm not the abusive type. What kind of life can be expected out of one? I looked at a 05 today and when I looked under it I was surprised at how dry it was for having 150k on it. There wasn't a trans leak or oil leak anywhere. Even the top end looked dry from what I could see of it.

The 01 I had, had 245k on it when I bought it. It didn't leak any fluids, and it ran, drove, and looked like it 100k less miles. The pre 06 use head gaskets that have a fairly high failure rate, and they suck to replace. The 06 and newer have a different style head gasket.

Kind of like pull the cab like a ford to replace, or just tight space to work in? I did notice there is much less room around the engine then with my 6.0 in the Denali.

I pull the cab on duramax also.

It's a pain in the ass to do them in cab. 2nd option is pull the engine.

I did mine in the truck, the back of the engine is tight.

I'll probably own one again, but it will be an 06-07, so that I shouldn't have to do haedgaskets.

good friend of mine who is 70++ nearing 80 years old did his in truck also , said it wasn't fun but doable ... this fellow is a former owner / racer and knows his way around a tool box .

So that's it? just head gaskets issues in the 04-05? and injectors in the early. so what the fix for the HG? just a different style of head gasket? head studs? The injectors are in plain sight That really doesn't sound so bad, but I'm sure my back would complain every step of the way. There sure does seem to be a lot of stuff packed on top of the engine!

also, the 6psd was better than the 5spd? they use the same case and different valve body, they just lock up and extra sun gear to get the second OD 6th. they must use a different input shaft for the added power.

5 spd has a different set up on the c2 clutches. The drum also has an inherent bind that chews clutches a little faster.

They are close enough that you can take the front half of the internals of a 6 speed and use the parts in a 5 speed (6 speed drum is preferred when putting decent power through an allison)

I bought my 03 lb7 with 246k we had a warranty on it. Shortly after we bought it replaced injectors(yes it is an arm and a leg) and installed a fass. Have zero issues with the truck other than minor maintinence ie a tie rod tires idler arm.

My wife and i love it.

Also head gaskets are most common 04.5-6 the earlier years are mainly injectors but hgs have happened.

We tow lots of cars on a flatbed no issues, will be pulling a dump trailer this weekend

You want 06 and newer.

04.5 and newer are fairly inexpensive to replace injectors. 04.5 to 06 have the 5 spd trans that doesn't take as much abuse as a 6 spd.

01-05 has the 5 spd not 06.

5 spd has a different set up on the c2 clutches. The drum also has an inherent bind that chews clutches a little faster.

They are close enough that you can take the front half of the internals of a 6 speed and use the parts in a 5 speed (6 speed drum is preferred when putting decent power through an allison)

what is this different setup for the c2s? Never heard that one before....

Lb7s - injectors but they aren't hard to change. They are pre emissions which is nice no egr or cat.

Llys - HGs but it's hit or miss. They aren't hard to do just time consuming so if you could find a lly with a blown HG to replace you'd have a great truck knowing what's been replaced. These have the largest stock turbos also, just needs air. Intake and intake horn is restrictve.

Also the transfer cases in the 01-05 are known for what's called "pump rub" where the pump plate in the tcase rubs a hole and leaks fluid - ruining the transfer case if not caught in time. Easy cheap fix but something to look for.

Lbz/lmm are known to crack or get holes in pistons & cracked cranks from time to time stock or high HP. Got all the emissions crap so need to be deleted.

But really we could all sit here and name power stroke and cummins motors of which had motor problems also, it's just finding a good deal, knowing the problems and making sure you know what you are getting into.

Edited by 01Dmax
  • Like 1

01Dmax the c2 hub is different.

It's the reason why there's no transgo Jr for the 5 speed.

And yes 06 went to 6spd trans. I must have been tired when I posted it.

01Dmax the c2 hub is different.

It's the reason why there's no transgo Jr for the 5 speed.

you said the c2 clutches were different just had to verify that you made a typo and we're not giving bad info.

And I believe you mean the c2 piston is different not hub..the transgo jr fits 100% fine in the 5spd it just doesn't give all the great benefits a 6spd gets since you need the c2 piston mods to help it apply more than 50% of the clutch material but their is still small benefits of transgo jr in a 5spd.

You do that. And I'll be here for ya bud

Edited by 01Dmax