livingez_123

Time to bag it!

Air bags that is!

The first step was finding a good spot for the air compressor.

After locating the perfect spot I got it all mounted. I chose to draw air for the compressor from my CIA. That is where I mounted the air filter for it. Out of the weather and dry. I shortened the ground and screwed it to the inner fender.

I finished up the wiring today (9/1), now just to find a good place to mount the gauge and switch.

Here are a few pictures.

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

Edited by livingez_123

I have my gauge and switch mounted in my console where the ashtray would be. I ordered a small piece of carbon fiber so I can make the finished piece out of it. I guess I could have just picked up some vinyl and wrapped it.

I have the air lines run to the rear, and I hope the kit shows up this week so I can get them in and be done with this mod.

I have the switch in place and the gauge on the pillar. Now I'm going to epoxy the pillar mount in place, fill the screw holes, sand and paint to match.

Now I just need to feel like putting the bags in. It will be an easy job because the air line is already run to the rear. Just pop the coils out and put the bags in. Then a small tack weld on the lower bag mounts just to keep them from getting any ideas about coming out.

I took the small cubby out and cut it in half. I glued a piece of thick plastic on the back to make it a flat surface to mount the switch. I have a small green LED that I'm going to put on the top of the cubby so it will shine down on to the switch.

IMG_6662.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

If you wait until mid December, I can help you and we can do my rear bags at the same time.

I finally got the right fittings for my bags, and I think I will put them in on the next dry day. Then I will take my trailer for a little drive and see how it feels.

It's been dry for a long time now, then it was cold and windy, now I just don't feel like doing it in my driveway. The trailer is on the only level part of it and I don't want to be under it on an incline. Maybe tomorrow after my Dr. appt.

Wow heated garage, my son installed by bergsen steering box yesterday in the drive, was cool. I had smartwool long johns, pants and insulated coveralls and a ajcket. with gloves it was ok. but taking the gloves off to start bolts was cold. 20 degree today

Tomorrow the third generation trac bar goes on!

Well the install didn't go as planed. the bags are about 1/2" in diam to big and the upper and lower mounts are too tall. so with them in at the ride height I want, the bags are almost to the internal bump stops, and the compressed dia. is too big. Hopefully I can get it sorted out on Monday. I'm just glad I didn't cut the stock springs!

Everything alway hard than we plan for! Let me know if you need any help I still home until I get called back to work, this wee we have house guest, after the first of the year.

I have had the new bags in for about a month now, and my only complaint is I need to soften up the compression of the bags so it will ride a little smoother. there are a few ways to do this, I can increase the volume of the bags by adding a ping tank, or I can try to find a softer rubber bag. If I go with the second option I will lose valuable weight carrying ability. So I plan on finding a 2-5 gallon air tank and installing it in line with the bags. This will give me 10x the volume of air to compress and will result in a much softer ride. I also plan to be able to bypass the tank when towing if I find it's too soft for that.

Are they progressive?

Yes, much better than the linear rate stock springs. these load up very nice in the corners. I wish I nice a nice set for the front. But it has torsion bars :thumbdwn: Now that's not saying that I couldn't graft on some later model spring cups up front and run a strut/shock combo

Edited by livingez_123

do they make them for the front on like a 2wd 95 ? I have a 12v and wish it handled a bit better and was thinking bout air bags ..?