I have a buddy with a powerstroke that has a 7.3 in it, I think it's an 01, he's currently getting about 14 mpg. Is that normal?

His truck is a four door long box that's lifted with 35's. His mods are, 4" straight piped exhaust, afe cold air intake, edge programmer (don't know which one, it has a race setting), compressor wheel upgrade, and some kind of upgraded injectors. He also has a built tranny, and I believe it still has stock gears in the axles.

If 14 mpg sounds about right for his truck, is there anything he can do to get better mileage? Also, what's a good ford site to tell him to go to?

Thanks for any help.

if he is local, then nwforddiesels.com will get him help.

14 isnt great, but its not horrible either. Driving style plays a big part in it, but those tires arent doing him any favors, same with aftermarket injectors.

Ive gotten 18mpg out of mine, but it took some careful driving. Im getting about 12 empty right now, and 8 towing, because I have two injectors that are just pouring fuel in, instead of actually "injecting" it.

Once I get new injectors, and some BIG OIL to drive em, I should be back up in the mid to high teens again.

Keep the tach at about 2000rpm and that is the sweet spot for a 7.3

Thanks for the info. He did say that he doesn't drive it very nice most of the time. I'll tell him to try and keep it around 2000 rpm and, to check out nwforddiesels. He lives out side Amboy.

I drive a 2000 7.3 F-450 auto. Its a 2wd, service truck (sits right at 11,000lb everyday with all the tools in it) and it gets about 10mpg out on the freeway and 6-7 when towing.

It has a K&N and a 4inch pipe. Stock everything else. In my mind the 7.3 is the best Diesel Ford ever had. But the milage

does suck. Just for giggles tell him the best mod to do is trade it in on a Dodge. My 2004 2wd 1 ton gets around 18 on average with a best of like 21.

Tell him to dump the stock fuel system and get a FASS or Airdog, on my '97 that was the biggest improvement on fuel mileage, I went from about 13-15mpg to up around 19-20... 21 being my best on 35's, but that was a long road trip.

I drive a 02 4wd 7.3 for a work truck f250 short box ex-cab canopy with about 1,000 lbs. in the back and I have yet to get over 13 mpg - I check every tank.

Tell him to dump the stock fuel system and get a FASS or Airdog, on my '97 that was the biggest improvement on fuel mileage, I went from about 13-15mpg to up around 19-20... 21 being my best on 35's, but that was a long road trip.

Why/How did that help?

Just saying so what if you give it more fuel, the 7.3 still needs so much to make any power?

I drive a 02 4wd 7.3 for a work truck f250 short box ex-cab canopy with about 1,000 lbs. in the back and I have yet to get over 13 mpg - I check every tank.

But yours is Red. Thats why it gets better milage....

Why/How did that help?

Just saying so what if you give it more fuel, the 7.3 still needs so much to make any power?

Probably because the stock fuel system is horrible, with better fuel pressure it atomizes better? I am just guessing I have no explanation as to why it improved so much, I was just glad it did, though I did add a turbo, intercooler, bigger intakes... awww who knows, but the stock fuel system sucks and bolting in a FASS/Airdog would help, just sayin....

The OBS rigs like his '97 had a mechanical fuel pump that..... well they had issues. The Super Duties have a much better fuel system(elec. pump), though the fuel bowl is still a restriction. Also the 7.3 doesn't need high pressure..... IIRC normal is around 55psi, but less air in the fuel and higher volume don't hurt. I would take FOREVER to pay off a FASS or Airdog, with the SLIGHT millage increase he MIGHT see. Its still a good upgrade though.