Frost Heater

Woodenhead

This finally showed up in the mail. I’ll try and get it installed this weekend and report back. It’ll be nice starting my commute with a warm car at each end and most of all it should be easier on the motor. Still need to figure out some sort of grill cover, aside from the pipe foam.

60263938baa9cb1a655eb0e86c86ab71.jpg

17414d19325a204c7f8901f5b1bd33d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice! Ya gotta love starting a preheated car on a cold morning 

Like most of my projects this took twice as long as I expected. It’s a tight fit getting the heater in there and getting the hoses routed but the directions and photos from Frost are super detailed.
The Noco plug came with some chinsey self tapping screws, I didn’t see that lasting long and probably cracking the bumper cover at some point. I made a flange and rubber gasket for the back side and used some stainless button head screws. Hopefully it lasts, I was nervous as heck augering a 2” hole in the bumper as it was.

Looks forward testing it out tonight.

b9f105ec686ff5a218ffb720a8605e6e.jpg

05bd499958c7b10d457c19dccada376c.jpg

a322f0ee1675c16b00694f642627552b.jpg

bf156a451cd96d22d8009fe849850de2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed one in my TDI years ago and got many many years of flawless service out of it.

Make sure you move the heater controls to defrost before parking the car overnight.

Thst way the warmth will rise up to the windshield and keep it mostly ice free.

I sure liked coming out at 5 a.m. to a warm car mostly ice free  and getting hot air when starting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Abbyfireguy said:

I installed one in my TDI years ago and got many many years of flawless service out of it.

Make sure you move the heater controls to defrost before parking the car overnight.

Thst way the warmth will rise up to the windshield and keep it mostly ice free.

I sure liked coming out at 5 a.m. to a warm car mostly ice free  and getting hot air when starting.

There’s an opportunity here to refer to the ‘hot air’ to something else besides the heater 😝 

I’ve always looked and been interested maybe I will finally pull the trigger I liked the fact they are built car specific and look like they belong and not just made to work. Preheat is nice not to mention the savings in wear and tear 

25 minutes ago, J Dansie said:

I’ve always looked and been interested maybe I will finally pull the trigger I liked the fact they are built car specific and look like they belong and not just made to work. Preheat is nice not to mention the savings in wear and tear 

Agreed. I’m pretty sure the heaters are all the same but they have custom molded hoses which makes them fit real nice, especially considering how tight it already is in there. The older version required you to cut hoses, now it replaces the hose that runs between the oil cooler and the tranny cooler. 

I just went and plugged it in and will see how long it takes to get to temp. At home I park in an unheated garage which stays above freezing, I’ll

have a timer on it to come on a few hours before leaving in the morning. At work it’s parked in with wind and cold for 10hrs and I’ll just leave it plugged in all day so it never cools down. The unit has a thermostat so it comes in and off as needed anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Agreed. I’m pretty sure the heaters are all the same but they have custom molded hoses which makes them fit real nice, especially considering how tight it already is in there. The older version required you to cut hoses, now it replaces the hose that runs between the oil cooler and the tranny cooler. 

I just went and plugged it in and will see how long it takes to get to temp. At home I park in an unheated garage which stays above freezing, I’ll

have a timer on it to come on a few hours before leaving in the morning. At work it’s parked in with wind and cold for 10hrs and I’ll just leave it plugged in all day so it never cools down. The unit has a thermostat so it comes in and off as needed anyway. 

I’m impressed looking at them quality and price seems reasonable to bad they don’t have a mounted plug like you added. On a side note you can get a wiring cord for the dodges from a yard truck that’s for 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins with chrome mounted plug and small light to verify it’s on I need to get part number from mechanics at work 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

What amps does it pull / how heavy of a power cord will it need for a distance away from your power source out of curiosity. 

It’s 1000W so only 8.5A. I picked up a light duty 16ga cord for it to use at work. In the garage I have a heavy duty retractable cord real that I’ll plug it in with. 

5 minutes ago, J Dansie said:

Zerostart 8606013 Heavy Duty Weatherproof Silicone Cordset and Receptacle, 10-feet | 120 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075DV2SO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D66M0J56RNWXWSSD4MNT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That might work well on the truck but the Frost heater doesn’t have that standard block heater socket on it for the cord.  For the car I think I’d prefer the plug I used which is what idparts offered. Some guys mount them in the lower grill up front too. 

NOCO GCP1 15 Amp AC Port Plug, 125 Volt Power Inlet Socket, and Waterproof Electrical Outlet Receptacle Box with 16-Inch Integrated Outdoor Extension Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CFX9914DMN2YQZBEZ8Z1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

18 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

That might work well on the truck but the Frost heater doesn’t have that standard block heater socket on it for the cord.  For the car I think I’d prefer the plug I used which is what idparts offered. Some guys mount them in the lower grill up front too. 

NOCO GCP1 15 Amp AC Port Plug, 125 Volt Power Inlet Socket, and Waterproof Electrical Outlet Receptacle Box with 16-Inch Integrated Outdoor Extension Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CFX9914DMN2YQZBEZ8Z1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yes I posted the link for the trucks sorry for any confusion and thread jacking makes nice clean install and easy to use 

• Like 1

Very low amp , guess being on for a few hours makes up for the low amp draw 

Mike .. so this heater heats water which I turn heats the oil pan via the block heat sinking  ?? 

Is this an oil oil heater or water heater sorry went back and reread 

Edited by GTroyer

8 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Very low amp , guess being on for a few hours makes up for the low amp draw 

Mike .. so this heater heats water which I turn heats the oil pan via the block heat sinking  ?? 

The block heater VW offers is 500W so comparatively speaking this is pretty high wattage for the size of motor. Remember this is a little 2.0 4 banger, not 1000lbs of truck motor. 

The heater is the lowest part in the cooling system so as it heats the coolant it circulates by convection. I’m not sure about the oil pan, it does have insulation on it from the factor (probably for sound) so maybe it gets warmed up as the block warms up. 

8 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

👍

Is yours equipped with factory heater as well / is it a block heater or oil pan heater ? ( I assume block) 

Mine didn’t have one and I’m not sure what the details are, I suspect it plumbs into a coolant hose. 
Something else worth mentioning is Noco makes a double cord version of the remote plug so you could add a pan heater or charger to the 2nd outlet. 

Noco stuff is top drawer stuff .. I have several of the battery tenders large amp and medium amp  much better units than the black with green n yellow label ones ( brand omitted on purpose)  .. have burnt up/boiled out water on  batteries with those ones and ruined more than one battery . 

So after 3 hours I checked on it. The entire engine is so warm/hot I could barely hold my hand on it. The bogus temperature gauge was at normal temp, my OBD2 readout said 172F. When I fired it up it dropped to 132F but that’s to be expected with the coolant in the rad getting circulated. 

Its a winner for sure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

So after 3 hours I checked on it. The entire engine is so warm/hot I could barely hold my hand on it. The bogus temperature gauge was at normal temp, my OBD2 readout said 172F. When I fired it up it dropped to 132F but that’s to be expected with the coolant in the rad getting circulated. 

Its a winner for sure. 

Maybe when winter is over I might get one no driving or riding in December extreme light duty January and you have sold me on it probably bring mileage up by starting in operation zone somewhere I read newer vehicles will over fuel to warm up part of emissions