New Truck? Stay with the Cummins?

I’ve poured so much money into my truck in the last 6-7 years that now the wife is trying (hard) to talk me into going out and buying a brand new one.  Needless to say…I’m resisting equally hard.  Simply put I love my 1st gen truck!  Almost nothing computerized to break down.  Relatively simple (even if it isn’t cheap) to fix.  It’s comfortable to drive for hours in end, and it puts everything I throw at it.

But…she’s thinking I should look into a Ford F-450 or bigger because she wants to put a huge cab over camper on the back.  One of those with 2-3 slides.  We were looking at a Sprinter Diesel motor home but…we can’t even find a new one with the floor plan she wants.

Anyway…currently we’re at odds because she says I’ve thrown enough money into my “black hole of a truck” while I continue to tell her that I really can’t just “replace” (read as trade it in) it with another one.

Truth is…I just can’t bring myself to justify writing that check…lol

• Like 1

Almost any brand out there is going to be better to drive than what your driving. Not simpler but more comfortable, better steering and ride. If you want to stay away from emissions stuff your going to need something prior than the 2007.5 Dodge.

For the camper your mentioning you will need a dually and most likely a long bed. So megacab's are out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a huge fan of the F450 pickups, but price on them is high due to tight supply and high demand.

Whole new trucks are not as simple to fix, but it can be done.

Once you get use to how the computers work on the newer trucks they can be easier to fix, but MORE stuff that can go wrong.

I have a loaded 2018 F450 Platinum. Would not be happy with less, the massaging seats are awesome. 

Same with adaptive cruse and collision avoidance and a ton of other safety features. By far the most comfortable, safest vehicle I have ever owned.

The newest F450s have the same tires, wheels, and brakes as a F550/5500 truck, so really a great rig for a truck camper 

Before you buy anything look at all your options, that way you have a better chance to find the truck that is right for you. Gm, Ram, and Ford all make great trucks now.

As far as campers,  I have a Eagle Cap  1200 and love it, plenty of room and has two comfortable recliners.

The bad it is REALLY heavy, and all the weight is on the rear axle, I am over 17,000lbs on just the truck with camper and family fully loaded.

You are welcome to contact me If you have any questions on either the truck or a camper.

• Like 2

I spent time in Byron's 1 ton dually Ram hauling my very heavy 5th wheel trailer and driving home from my property empty. All I can say is oh my God!!! The adaptive cruise control and auto dimming headlights that turn when you turn the wheel. The brakes are amazing!
We were driving home late in the dark and had it not been for the incredible headlights we would not have seen the all black range cow in the middle of the road and without the great antilock brakes we would not have slowed in time to avoid it. I am positive that even in my 2014 we would not have been able to stop before hitting that cow. I know for a fact in my 2nd gen we would have had a bad accident and on the road we were on its a safe bet we could have died. That alone convinced me the newer trucks safety features are well worth the cost.
I can tell you if you are set on keeping your first gen do not even test drive a new truck (if at all possible I would keep the first gen and get a new truck to haul the camper with)

After driving Mark Smiths 4th gen home towing my broken 2002 I was ruined, I knew I couldn't go back to driving the 2nd gen

When I went from a my 02 to my 14 I was blown away by how nice it was. The ride and power, drivability and safety are huge improvements.

• Like 5

The wife's new Subaru has those features.  I'm finding then hard to get used to.  Especially the "eyesight" feature that is part collision avoidance and part cruise control.  In heavy rain it don't work at a and then there's no cruise control.  I find it a royal PITA!!

On 11/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, GTroyer said:

Crew cabs LB are great too 😁

out of curiosity why not a 5500 much better on weight IIRC the 4500 not much over a 3500 .. might have my memory way off CRS 😁

I'd go 450 or bigger...thought I mentioned that, sorry.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, Ternkiem said:

The wife's new Subaru has those features.  I'm finding then hard to get used to.  Especially the "eyesight" feature that is part collision avoidance and part cruise control.  In heavy rain it don't work at a and then there's no cruise control.  I find it a royal PITA!!

I'd go 450 or bigger...thought I mentioned that, sorry.

Thr F450 adaptive cruse can be selected as normal or adaptive. At least in 2018 trucks. 

Extereemly heavy rain or snow will keep the collision avoidance and adaptive cruse from working, but that is not common.

Thr collision avoidance has help me a few times, once the sun was in my eyes. Always good to have extra "eyes" looking out.

Mine will even tell me to rest if a wander too much.

• Thanks 2

even my 2014 without adaptive cruise control will shut off the cruise in heavy rain. As soon as there is any traction loss the traction control shuts the cruise control off. I think its a great idea. I try to not use cruise in the rain because once traction is lost the cruise control just tries to speed up as the vehicle slows down. Kinda counter productive when your spinning your tires in wet weather. 

At one time the "self starter" (electric starter) , battery,, and charging system was considered just more stuff to go wrong.

Even a cabin heater and windsheld wipers were an option

Hydraulic brakes and transistor radios were new technology at one time.

I do remeber having to wait till the tube radio "warms up" before they would work 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of us have a fair bit of seat time in our new 4th gen trucks.

Had my 97 for over 20 years.

My 2018 Ram is so comfy and way way safer on dark rainy or snowy night driving,,that’s not an opinion,it’s a fact..

I have a lot of CDL driving as well and the new trucks are just plain better on crappy highways to drive..

• Like 1

if you feal you have spent alot of money on a first gen, just keep it. any repairs on a newer truck with be significantly more than any repairs on the first gen  
He wants to get a big camper which his 1st gen won't handle. If your talking keep it and get a new truck vs trade in I agree completely.
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, HOSS said:
12 hours ago, stroketeck said:
if you feal you have spent alot of money on a first gen, just keep it. any repairs on a newer truck with be significantly more than any repairs on the first gen  

He wants to get a big camper which his 1st gen won't handle. If your talking keep it and get a new truck vs trade in I agree completely.

Great idea keep the old one for dirty work buy a new one for pleasure and long trips I wish I had the room I would totally have kept my 97 

Makes great sense.

If you were to trade it in at a dealer they would give you way way below what it’s worth anyways.

You will never get anywhere near what you have into the truck.

If I figured out what I had into my 97 and what I sold it for, I would stay awake at night!

• Like 3

Definitely don't trade in. 

Private party market on first gen trucks is crazy. 
Private party market on all trucks is currently crazy and even dealerships are having to step up their offers over and above what I would consider a generous offer. If you've ever thought of selling, now is the time. But if you're planning to rebuy you may get bit on the same hand that was just filled with cash. For the only time in my life I think the truck market is comparable to the housing market. Just no Bidding wars yet.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, C Paul Go said:For the only time in my life I think the truck market is comparable to the housing market. Just no Bidding wars yet.

You should see Utah most houses are going over asking price  up to 100k appraisal are way below sales price insane 

You should see Utah most houses are going over asking price  up to 100k appraisal are way below sales price insane 
Been like that for a while now. Everything selling for over. I work with a guy who put an offer of 770 on a 700k house price. He was the 3rd best offer. The winner paid 790k and that offer included 100k bumps until accepted. That's how crazy it is here.

As far as the truck prices go I am seeing a softening in the market.

I see DEALER adds for more reasonable prices, a few one year old trucks with low miles at or above the new MSRP, but Generally, more realistic prices.

New trucks are available but need to be ordered, with several dealers giving discounts below MSRP, so more people are ordering and waiting. 

I am saying I believe the truck market has peaked and is on the downside now.

I have read that Ford and other manufacturers are looking at a business model of forcing more trucks to be special ordered, and that makes a lot of sence for outlay of capital for both the manufacturers and dealers.. everything sold as soon as it hits the lot save both a lot of money.

All that said,  with the inflation issues and new truck prices increasing,  older truck should also see higher values, used truck values are better than 4 or 5 years ago in my opinion as supplies are still tight, and in my opinion, will stay higher for quite a while. What was a $10,000 truck 4 years ago is closer to $12,000 now, just from what I have seen.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the advise guys…

I think that IF I can figure out the last few issues that are irritating the hell out of me I’ll be keeping her.  If not we’ll…

Those issues are:

#1   The cruise control will not stay set at the proper speed (I had a thread on this before and I’m still working on it).

It wasn’t an issue before I changed the speed sensor so I’m gonna put the old one back in to see if that cures it.

#2   The loss of my ABS.  (Had a thread on that before too).  Further research is suggesting a bad ball valve in the splitter (that thing located below the booster that the brake lines go into and come out of).  I found an OLD fix someplace online that said they fixed it with a large magnet to “reset” the ball valve to equalize the pressure again and his 

light went out and the ABS worked again.  I got nothing to lose by giving that a shot.

Thos are the biggies plus there’s a couple of relatively minor things that I just ought to do to make it right (wear and tear items you know?).

Again though..thanks for the replies.  They are most appreciated.

Nothing wrong with two find the big hauler you want put camper on it have the nice truck for when you wanna play and keep your sweetheart for everything else I completely understand the sentimental value if I didn’t have a 6’ daughter in a 97 king cab I would have never bought my 10 if I would have had room to keep both I would never have sold it. 
was kinda nice getting occasional text from the guy that bought it about what a good truck it was and how much he liked it 

• Thanks 1