The good and the bad on my new to me truck...

13 hours ago, Ol Blue said:

Grab the proportioning valve for the disc brakes. I'm pretty sure it's a different rate than drum brakes.

If I remember this right, the backup switch for the 6sp and 5sp are different, but the plug side for the chassis wiring harness is the same. The 6sp sits further back, but there should be enough slack in the harness to still reach it.

I don't remember changing the transfer case indicator switch. Maybe they are the same between DLD and DHD..

Your already know about drive lines and cross member, fly wheel, clutch, and shifters. I think I kept the 5sp starter.

I’m pretty sure my ‘96 needed an extension for the reverse switch but the newer trucks might not. Like the cross member, some of these parts were common between 5 and 6 speed trucks when they started offering the 5600. 

The transfer case lever needs to be re-shaped if you use the 5 speed one but he could just use the one from the 6 speed truck. 

Like Dave said, spacer depends on the flywheel, if you end up needing a spacer you’ll need longer starter bolts. You’ll also need a little spacer under your barring tool if you use it. Otherwise it can go in too far, jam up and you’ll think you seriously screwed something up when you try to bar the engine over 🤔

Starting to look at the ABS in both trucks and the two trucks are completely different. Is the 5 speed only rear ABS?...

Finally got some heavy duty jack stand and took off the front wheels. The axle is straight but twisted. The MAG cover looks good. I'll post some pictures...

35 minutes ago, Cap-n-Cray said:

Starting to look at the ABS in both trucks and the two trucks are completely different. Is the 5 speed only rear ABS?...

Finally got some heavy duty jack stand and took off the front wheels. The axle is straight but twisted. The MAG cover looks good. I'll post some pictures...

It’s possible I know the difference is 1 sensor on differential or wheel speed sensor 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done a rear axle swap with ABS?...

Well the transmission and rear axle swap is not as easy as it seems. ABS brakes are different on both trucks. So more knowledge is need...

I got the front axle removed from the truck. Some interesting force were involved in the accident. The axle looks straight, but it rotated about 80 degrees...

RUIyNTFDQjQ0NDBEQ0FDNUEyODA6ZjI4ZjNlZDkx

Apparently the driver's side rotated and the passenger's side stayed attached to the spring even though the shock shaft was sheared off...

RUIyNTFDQjQ0NDBEQ0FDNUEyODA6NzllMjk2MWUy

I think this is where the axle rotated with the four wheel drive engagement selector is located...

This is the only damage so far to the engine/trans area...

RUIyNTFDQjQ0NDBEQ0FDNUEyODA6NjZjYmJlOWI3

The engine oil pan...

RUIyNTFDQjQ0NDBEQ0FDNUEyODA6YmQwMzhkOTg4

I don't think the engine is damaged, just the oil pan...

I would relocate that air bag compressor to someplace that gets cooler air and out of the way of your brake system. 

In order to get everything to work you are going to have to transfer all the brake system electronics over to your new truck. Including all the brake lines front and rear. I don't know how much of a challenge that will be. You will probably have to add ABS relay(s) and fuses to your fuse panel but the locations for them should be there. Its hard to tell if the proportioning valve is the same or not but the brake lines are routed differently.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cap-n-Cray said:

What do you do when you add rear discs?...

Myself I would swap axle the proportioning valve and master cylinder. The new truck has rwabs and the old one had 4-wheel abs is that correct? If so I wouldn’t worry about sensors on wheel end I believe it just has one on the diff 

9 hours ago, Cap-n-Cray said:

What do you do when you add rear discs?...

Add the new disc brake axle and you will have to find a way to make the emergency brake cable hook up because they are different on the axle but I think the cables connect in the same area on the frame under the drivers side rear door. Swap the brake lines and the ABS electronics the proportioning valve and master cylinder as said above.