Keep throwing wheel weights off of dually wheels

I got my new Cooper Discover ST MAXX tires mounted today. I didn't make it 1 mile away and it threw a wheel weight off. Went back and a few more were just about to fall off. They redid it as on the highway home two more weights flew off. These tires have a large curb protection lip on the bead that the old BFG KM2 tires did not have. I know other guys run these tires successfully.

Has anyone else had a problem keeping wheel weights on? Here you can see how much the wheel is recessed inside the tire bead.

IMG_20210920_145113066.jpg

Can't they use stick on weights on the inside of the wheel

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

In your picture you have 2 different types of weights. It appears to me the lower one is not the right fit for your wheel? Could be they are putting the wrong weight on and thats why its coming off? I am not a weight installer just guessing by what I see.  

18 hours ago, 199712valve said:

Looks like 1 steel weight and 1 lead weight to me. The steel ones seem to be a bit more difficult to use because they aren't malleable to the wheel very well....

I'm back at the shop for the 3rd time. They said yes, they can't get the lead weights and the steel ones suck. They're trying the stick on weights now. Fingers crossed. 

24 minutes ago, Bob V said:

I had in tire balance beads put in my F450, so far  no problems

Is that something most tire shops have the ability to do? Did you have to ask for it specifically?

54 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

The shops are looking to replace the high cost of lead and buying cheeped steel weights

you can ask but many won’t have lead anymore 

Is it high costs? Or is it regulations?

18 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Is that something most tire shops have the ability to do? Did you have to ask for it specifically?

You can do it all by yourself at home. I did it with my 2008 dually. The kit comes with the valve stem puller, a bottle and hose to feed them into the wheel.  It takes 6 ounces of beads per wheel.

Doug

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Bear said:

You can do it all by yourself at home. I did it with my 2008 dually. The kit comes with the valve stem puller, a bottle and hose to feed them into the wheel.  It takes 6 ounces of beads per wheel.

Doug

Interesting. I don't know anything about this method of balancing. I wonder if it's better all around. I'll have to ask my racing buddies. I know doing real high speed on a Dyno, wheel weights are a concern. I imagine doing 200+mph it could be as well. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, SMOKN05 said:

I had it done at schwab, they said they have been having good results with them, but mostly heavy duty trucks.

One of the employees used them in his truck and he could feel a vibration at certain times, but it  quickly went away. 

I feel something ocationally also, in total probably 3 of 4 seconds ever couple thousands of miles.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, J Dansie said:

I read an article about use air soft ammo for the wheel balance supposed to work the same as the beads at less cost 

To use the airsoft pellets you would have to break the tire off the bead. The balancing beads are tiny glass beads. Feeding them through the valve stem is easy. Just takes a bit of time to get all 6oz. in. Just don't let the hose pop out while loading. I did mine with the wheels off the truck. I had two sets that I was swapping around. Both seemed to have improved with the beads. 

Doug

• 1 month later...

Had my new used tires mounted today and wouldn’t ya know it, soon as I hit 50mph I could hear weights bouncing off the truck.  Guy at Schwabs said they struggle with the newer weights. I took it to 70mph and there was no vibration so I guess I’m good with it. In hind sight I should save the $ and tell them not to bother with the balancing 😂 

• Like 2