The Hossienda East

HOSS

Have a friend up at North Port. Had one nasty Cougar walk through his place. Be careful. Love the pics. 

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Been watching for the cougars but not too many around. Wolves are a big concern around here. Range cows are being hit hard by the wolves only a couple miles from my place.

And for the record I have never and would never hunt my own land. The neighbors place is another thing entirely.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HOSS said:

I can hunt on my property
I only have one house to watch for and it's well below my line of fire

That’s nice I was told they won’t jump a vinyl fence people around here use them to protect the garden. 
if there’s a chance you would want to hunt it then you post with permission only keeps others out and let’s you have the option. There’s a barn around Lewiston Idaho says hunting by permission only don’t ask 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, HOSS said:

And for the record I have never and would never hunt my own land. The neighbors place is another thing entirely.

Around here they are damaging so much stuff I would gladly harvest them. The deer weren't bad but the elk are way too many.

We have very few elk in the area so I am happy to see them. You cant throw a rock and not hit a whitetail but they are being hit with blue tongue right now and it is killing a lot of deer. This is proving to be a problem as far as the coyote population because they have a unlimited supply of easy to get food right now. Once the deer recover there will be a lot of coyotes looking for food and competing for less resources. That means they will be coming around houses more and more to find food. We have mule deer but not like the numbers of whitetail. They do not seem to be effected by this blue tongue so that's a good thing. It is a virus caused by those little black biting flies and seems to be worse when the deer have little water. We have been in a drought for 2 years now in Stevens county so the dry condition's are perfect for this to spread.

A lot of the locals believe the reason the elk numbers are increasing in the area is because the wolves are pushing the elk out of their normal area. 

I personally don't plan to harvest any elk in or around my place just because there is so few here. I can hunt areas fairly close by that have much greater numbers that will not be adversely effected by me harvesting one. I am a fill the freezer not a trophy hunter so I would rather take a fat cow that a bull anyway. Granted if I were presented with a nice trophy opportunity I would most likely not turn it down. The unit my property is in I can only take a cow archery without a special tag so I suppose I will have to dust off my bow if I want to hunt elk but this season I am too busy to worry about any hunting really. Next year will be a completely different story!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dansie said:

Gotta be nice hunting and fishing right out your door so to speak and then camper for longer trip 

I cant wait!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well as usual for me my plans have completely changed (again) I have been planning on getting a manufactured home for my place in Rice but recently a few things have happened, first they sent me a message saying the cost is going up $20,000 and that along with the minimum 12 month lead time after I put 20% down has caused me to rethink my plan. 

Having a stick built done is out of the question they are out even longer and the cost of materials puts it out of my comfort level. 

Behind door number 3 is a log home. My friend Warren who has property by me built his log home here in Arlington and is going to build again over there. We got together last night and hashed out a plan and we will be building both our houses ourselves. I was looking at a 1400 sq ft manufactured home starting at $170K after the increase and it would be around $190k by the time I made a few changes. 

I can buy a 2000 sq ft Swedish Cope style log kit for around $40,000 That gives me all the exterior walls and interior support walls in 8" diameter which is well over the minimum requirements for insulation in the area. Then put up trusses and a roof and I am in business. We did a build cost analysis and I will be able to finish this log home cheaper than the total cost of the manufactured home have more square footage and they only need about 8-10 weeks to get the logs to me. 

I will most likely do a daylight basement (its the cheapest square footage a guy can get) and I will be able to hide most of the plumbing, electrical, heating and so on there. 

This will be by far the quickest and most cost effective way to go and not having to live in my 5th wheel for a year plus is a huge bonus. By the end of summer I should be able to have the walls up and roof on and be working on interior. 

Having Warren to help since he has already done one start to finish is a huge factor in my decision. If I was going in blind having never done this I would not consider it. 

We spent hours last night going through his house discussing details and plusses and minuses of log homes and what we will do different on our new places compared to what he did here.

The finished product will be so much nicer than a manufactured home. 

The link below is very close to the floorplan I will use. The upstairs will be storage and not have a bathroom 

https://www.eloghomes.com/elogsandbox/modeldetails.php?mspec=YmFubmVyZWxrfDY3MnwxLjV8M3wzfDIwODh8MTkyfDB8eWVzfHllc3x5ZXN8MjA5OTk4fDI1Mjc4MHxiYW5uZXIgZWxrfDI5OTM4MnwzNTI3MzI= 

• Like 1

Suggest a few looks at log home magazines for tips and hints and sources might help also .. lots to consider in this new approach / thoughts 

i admire the thought process and wish you the very best of luck in this endeavor !!!! Lots of envy here. 

Edited by GTroyer

Oh man, that’s the perfect home
for a spot like that! 
Yeah it's much more gooder than a mobile and not more money just more work but I am good with that.
Having Warren who has lived in a log home he built for for 15 years eliminates a lot of the guesswork. He leaned all good and bad from experience and I am learning from his mistakes.
  • Like 1

Nice!!! That's a great idea! It would be great for the shop also

you and Warren and one other guy could get a lot done. Put up all sorts of structures then sell it for what you have in it.

I believe you know a guy who could give that a quick look :D

It looks to be a national 556B, pretty decent chart, useable to 55 feet or so with jib out. It would do 1000 pounds there and be less than a critical pick ( below 75% chart)

https://cranenetwork.com/uploads/specs/33ad9fbd8d28f224a0d49a8fa.pdf

• Like 1

you and Warren and one other guy could get a lot done. Put up all sorts of structures then sell it for what you have in it.
I believe you know a guy who could give that a quick look
It looks to be a national 556B, pretty decent chart, useable to 55 feet or so with jib out. It would do 1000 pounds there and be less than a critical pick ( below 75% chart)
https://cranenetwork.com/uploads/specs/33ad9fbd8d28f224a0d49a8fa.pdf
I know a guy who could operate that
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, skyking said:

I like it so much better. It was really going to be a PITA to get a manufactured home up there.

Buy and sell something like this to speed up the job. 

https://salem.craigslist.org/hvo/d/saint-benedict-1986-ford-crane-boom/7405857654.html

I like the way you think