1994 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto rough start, then dies, blue smoke bad

I started the truck and it ran great, then the idle got really rough and started to billow blue smoke and then it died.  I cranked and cranked and it didn't even try to start, so I put in 10 gallons of fuel since the fuel gauge doesn't work.  I cracked the first five injectors and as each one go fuel I tightened them up.  The truck fired but it would barely idle and blue smoke bad (burn eyes bad) and now it just cranks with no start....

What do we know? next step?

5 minutes ago, J Dansie said:

Could possibly be shutoff selenoid sticking smoke makes me think timing that’s mechanical can’t see it slipping 

Went and checked and it seems to travel about 1.5" up and down with my hand on it...

Sure sounds like no fuel in the system , when you tightened the lines back up how long did you have them opened a bit ... might try opening again .. use a battery charger so you have full cranking speed let them dribble a bit to make all air us out . 

usually just a couple lines is plenty no need for 5/6 lines 

I left the lines cracked until I saw dribble coming out.  Then I tightened them one by one, cranking the engine over each time.  After doing this it ran but was serious blue eye burning smoke then it died and won't even try to start, like no fuel....

It is definitely diesel in the tank.

Could there be some other type of fuel contamination?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The part about the fumes burning yours eyes leads me to believe it is a contaminated fuel problem. 

I would take the injector lines loose from the injectors (not just crack them) and make sure you have a good amount of fuel to each injector. I would also remove the fuel filter and check the filter and the fuel for contamination. I don't know if algae in the tank would cause these symptoms but its worth checking.

I know when my neighbor put gas in his Ford (he didn't figure it out until he ran it till it quit)  he said when it started running bad the exhaust burned his eyes. 

Could it be possible somebody put gas in your truck just because they think its fun to destroy other peoples stuff?  Like the old sugar in a gas tank thing? 

6 hours ago, HOSS said:

The part about the fumes burning yours eyes leads me to believe it is a contaminated fuel problem. 

I would take the injector lines loose from the injectors (not just crack them) and make sure you have a good amount of fuel to each injector. I would also remove the fuel filter and check the filter and the fuel for contamination. I don't know if algae in the tank would cause these symptoms but its worth checking.

I know when my neighbor put gas in his Ford (he didn't figure it out until he ran it till it quit)  he said when it started running bad the exhaust burned his eyes. 

Could it be possible somebody put gas in your truck just because they think its fun to destroy other peoples stuff?  Like the old sugar in a gas tank thing? 

When I cracked the lines to get fuel to the injectors, it took a while for fuel to get there and when it did it flow fuel it wasn't very much...  The fuel my son put in it was from my 80 gallon tank that has been sitting for a couple years, so the fuel filter on the tank has algae in it(I just went and looked!!).  I guess a new fuel filter on the truck is in order along with new fuel.  The fuel gauge doesn't work so I might as well drop the tank while I am at it.

That can be a real drag. The algae will sit in the lowest areas of the tank and it's tough to get out without dropping the tank.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

We dropped the tank and it looks good(still need to empty, has about 25 gallons in it still), the sending unit metal contact for the gauge doesn't contact, so a quick disassembly of that and bend the tab out and it is working.   Next is to empty the tank completely.  The pick up screen look okay.  what else is there to check while the tank is out?  I will have a new fuel filter tomorrow.

So dropped the tank and everything looks good.  So history here.  I have only had the truck since march.  Bought the truck and it started and ran great home( 40 mile drive).  Started the truck a couple times over the last few months to move it around the yard.  Went to move the truck this last time and it started fine then started to run bad and then died, like starving for fuel.  I had never added anything to the tank, we live on 10 acres where nobody would have access to the truck to put anything in the tank.  Since the fuel gauge didn't work I added 10 gallons and cracked the injector lines till I saw moisture, not running out like I am use to.  It seems like a lift pump, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on it.  I put some algaecide in the tank and have swapped the fuel filter.

Starting to sound like a DOA VP pump , did you test it ?

there is a way to test it however CRS has set in ... it’s a jumper to a terminal on the pump which allows it to run ( not at speed just run) once the jumper is removed it dies .. test complete = bad VP 

Piers posted a long time ago the way to test ( even had a tester made up ) try to find that 

13 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Starting to sound like a DOA VP pump , did you test it ?

there is a way to test it however CRS has set in ... it’s a jumper to a terminal on the pump which allows it to run ( not at speed just run) once the jumper is removed it dies .. test complete = bad VP 

Piers posted a long time ago the way to test ( even had a tester made up ) try to find that 

This is a 1994 P7100 pump 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:38 AM, ish said:

So dropped the tank and everything looks good.  So history here.  I have only had the truck since march.  Bought the truck and it started and ran great home( 40 mile drive).  Started the truck a couple times over the last few months to move it around the yard.  Went to move the truck this last time and it started fine then started to run bad and then died, like starving for fuel.  I had never added anything to the tank, we live on 10 acres where nobody would have access to the truck to put anything in the tank.  Since the fuel gauge didn't work I added 10 gallons and cracked the injector lines till I saw moisture, not running out like I am use to.  It seems like a lift pump, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on it.  I put some algaecide in the tank and have swapped the fuel filter.

The tank is spotless, new fuel filter(it seemed clean), cleaned preheater screen(it was good already).  Filled the tank with 8 treated gallons of diesel.  I used a vaccum pump to get fuel to the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter and also had the kid pump the primer button while I pressurized the fuel tank.  After doing all this I can not get fuel to the injectors...I ordered a new lift pump from Geno's.  Not sure what else to try.

How long has it been setting? Squirrel nest in air box? I know it doesn't address your current fuel problem, but starving for air can cause your symptoms. 

Overflow valve? Remove and verify spring is in one piece. Don't lose the check ball.  I stretch them 1/4" to limp along until I get a replacement.

While there, pump your lift pump lever. It'll answer if it's working. You should get fuel within 5 or 6 pumps if the filter housing is full. 

Verify solenoid is pulling lever all the way up? (The boots like to rot and wedge itself between piston and wall)

Verify timing (witness plug on side of pump and timing pin facing timing gear) If point end of pin is broken off, line up the pump side and look with scope or mirror for the detent hole on gear. The pin just pulls straight back (with quite a bit of effort) and free of hole. If the detent looks close to center, it should fire/run.

If you were closer, this type of stuff is fun to figure out. 

45 minutes ago, marksmith said:

How long has it been setting? Squirrel nest in air box? I know it doesn't address your current fuel problem, but starving for air can cause your symptoms. 

Overflow valve? Remove and verify spring is in one piece. Don't lose the check ball.  I stretch them 1/4" to limp along until I get a replacement.

While there, pump your lift pump lever. It'll answer if it's working. You should get fuel within 5 or 6 pumps if the filter housing is full. 

Verify solenoid is pulling lever all the way up? (The boots like to rot and wedge itself between piston and wall)

Verify timing (witness plug on side of pump and timing pin facing timing gear) If point end of pin is broken off, line up the pump side and look with scope or mirror for the detent hole on gear. The pin just pulls straight back (with quite a bit of effort) and free of hole. If the detent looks close to center, it should fire/run.

If you were closer, this type of stuff is fun to figure out. 

The truck has been ran at least once a month, the air filter looks good.

Solenoid is fully moving.

When we push on the pump lever to prime nothing comes out the bleeder on the top of the filter housing.  When I use a hand vacuum pump on the bleeder port on top of the filter housing I get a solid stream of fuel in the vacuum tube.

When the truck was originally running the idle was kind of like a lope.

Will have to check timing and overflow valve

Bump the starter then try lift pump again. If it's on the compression stroke the lever won't do anything. 

If still nothing, I'd be tempted to pull it and see if the rod broke. Careful not to allow it to drop into the block. 

Check the primary filter screen on the bottom of the lift pump, Make sure it is clean. Also check to see if the fuel heater in that screen has not melted threw, My Dads truck did the same thing and we found a melted heater and that lets it suck air. It had next to no fuel leak from it.