A Most Unusual Thing Happened This Morning…

Well here’s a new one for you…scary crap too!!

I was driving down the highway slowing from 50 mph to make turn off this morning when something under my hood gave way with a HUGE  BANG.  Immediately a cloud of smoke appears from under the hod and fills the cab.  In the 100’ or do it took me yo stop I got fizzy and one of the worst headaches I’ve ever had.

Anyway…I got stopped, shut down the engine, grabbed my flashlight (it was 5:30 am and I was going fishing) and extinguisher (you mean everyone doesn’t carry one(?)) then popped the hood.

Thankfully there was no fire and when the smoke clears I’m able to see what happened immediately.

The number 2 injector was blown completely out of the hole braking the return line in the process!!!

I have NEVER heard of this happening before…have you?

I spent the next 2 hours on the side of the road with a 6” crescent wrench, a flat screwdriver and duct tape making temporary repairs until I could drive her home.  Repairs included were disconnecting the pressure line, screwing the injector back in the hole (yup…went right in nice and easy then tightened down with the wrench using the screwdriver in the handle hole for leverage).  Then the pressure line was reattached and finally I duct taped the open ends of the return line.

Now…I would like to know what caused this because it has me totally baffled.  I’ll likely never know the real cause but maybe contributing factor were my recent pump timing adjustment, or the fact that I have a +40hp pump and stock injectors, or they weren’t installed correctly 3-4 years ago (by my mechanic who now conveniently doesn’t work on diesels anymore) and it just took this long for vibrations to blow it out.  What ever the case I need to be sure it won’t happen again.

one more thing…I’m badly in need of a return line it broke at the banjo connection for that injector) if anyone happens to have one available.

Edited by Ternkiem

• Ternkiem changed the title to A Most Unusual Thing Happened This Morning…

Are you saying your running 40 degrees extra timing on a stock set up? If you are I'm really impressed it lasted 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am going to guess that sense you were able to install and tighten the injector that it just came loose and the nut vibrated off.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, HOSS said:

I am going to guess that sense you were able to install and tighten the injector that it just came loose and the nut vibrated off.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

🤞🏻🤞🏻

14 hours ago, stroketeck said:

some one snugged up the injectors but did not torque them to 44 ft/lb, did you not have one bubbling before? 

yes I did!  #6 was bubbling and I tightened it down several months ago.

After this incident I’d best check them all.

17 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

Are you saying your running 40 degrees extra timing on a stock set up? If you are I'm really impressed it lasted 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No sir…the pump is a performance pump +40hp.  But the mechanic was trying to maintain my outstanding mpg’s and used stock injectors.

• Like 1

I ordered the parts from Cummins NW today.

They were supposed to be in stock (according to the website) but when I went to pick them up none of it was in stock and on back order for at least a month.

I NEED ANOTHER SUPPLIER!  I NEED TO GET THIS TRUCK BACK ON THE ROAD!!!

I’m open to suggestions here people.

1 hour ago, marksmith said:

Genos garage possibly. 

Start calling around. OFI, Industrial Injecrion, DDP, etc etc etc. 

Genos?  That’s one I’ve never heard of.  I’ll look them up too.

thanks mark.

Genos garage is a great source of Cummins parts. 

I have lots of second gen 24 valve fuel system parts but no first gen stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can't find the parts you need, post a list. I can pull them off the Rat to get you back on the road. I could bring them up to the Bombparty. You can return the parts later or replace when you find them. Either way doesn't matter to me.

I wasn't totally awake. The Rat is a P-pump. If the parts that you need are the same for a VE then I can help.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

If you can't find the parts you need, post a list. I can pull them off the Rat to get you back on the road. I could bring them up to the Bombparty. You can return the parts later or replace when you find them. Either way doesn't matter to me.

I wasn't totally awake. The Rat is a P-pump. If the parts that you need are the same for a VE then I can help.

thanks for the offer Sir…I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

• Like 1

So…I found my parts at Motor Trucks in Mt. Vernon.  
If all goes right I should be back on the road tomorrow…YAY!!

9 hours ago, stroketeck said:

remember to get a injector install kit, and replace the washers under the injector

What he said! 

And for Gods sake go through all of them! 

Heck if were me I would be very tempted to replace all the lines and remove, inspect and change all the injector washers and banjos just to be on the safe so it doesn't happen again. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:51 AM, HOSS said:

What he said! 

And for Gods sake go through all of them! 

Heck if were me I would be very tempted to replace all the lines and remove, inspect and change all the injector washers and banjos just to be on the safe so it doesn't happen again. 

Actually I did replace all of the banjos Hoss.  And naturally I put a new crush washer on that one injector.

Also… I checked the torque on each injector.

None of them were torqued to specs and 2 of them I could turn with my fingers!

All are at 46 lb.ft. now and the truck runs like it should again.

Excellent!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ternkiem said:

Actually I did replace all of the banjos Hoss.  And naturally I put a new crush washer on that one injector.

Also… I checked the torque on each injector.

None of them were torqued to specs and 2 of them I could turn with my fingers!

All are at 46 lb.ft. now and the truck runs like it should again.

did you just tighten all the injectors or pull them and replace the washers under the injectors? 

35 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

did you just tighten all the injectors or pull them and replace the washers under the injectors? 

That's what I was wondering? Loose injectors would make me want to replace or at the very least inspect the washers on all of them. Cheap insurance. 

• Like 1

I just tightened them..because I needed the truck and only had the one washer for the injector that blew out.

none are leaking (bubbling) so for now it looks good and runs great!

4 hours ago, Ternkiem said:

I just tightened them..because I needed the truck and only had the one washer for the injector that blew out.

none are leaking (bubbling) so for now it looks good and runs great!

Keep it in the back of your mind.  When coppers get compression by them by being too loose, they have a nasty habit of grooving and/or becoming so misshapen that a retorque wont do any good.

Believe Dave was just trying to give you a heads up.  Everyone has a budget, and timeline.  Its up to you how many corners you're willing to cut.  Glad you're back on the road!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1