Serpentine belt took out my motor

Woodenhead

Last two fill ups were 40.8 and 41.8mpg. It was pretty much all highway miles including a trip to Longview last week which was some 74mph and a bunch of 60mph over white pass.
Compared to my previous average mileage of 33.9mpg that’s a gain of about 7mpg.
The mileage really suffers before the engine is warmed up and warm ups definitely take longer with no EGR. I’d say it’s down about at least 25% until it hits 190F, based on the OBD2 readout not that bogus temp gauge in the dash.

I think this winter a grill cover will be important and I’m going to install a Frost Heater and keep it plugged in at work. As soon as I pull onto the highway leaving the dam I have a couple big hills to climb, I don’t like doing that on a stone cold motor. At least I won’t have to deal with intercooler icing, I had an issue with that last winter.

Also, no more surging from the EGR cycling when driving through town or on the highway.

All in all I’d say it’s definitely a much better driving car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Last two fill ups were 40.8 and 41.8mpg. It was pretty much all highway miles including a trip to Longview last week which was some 74mph and a bunch of 60mph over white pass.
Compared to my previous average mileage of 33.9mpg that’s a gain of about 7mpg.
The mileage really suffers before the engine is warmed up and warm ups definitely take longer with no EGR. I’d say it’s down about at least 25% until it hits 190F, based on the OBD2 readout not that bogus temp gauge in the dash.

I think this winter a grill cover will be important and I’m going to install a Frost Heater and keep it plugged in at work. As soon as I pull onto the highway leaving the dam I have a couple big hills to climb, I don’t like doing that on a stone cold motor. At least I won’t have to deal with intercooler icing, I had an issue with that last winter.

Also, no more surging from the EGR cycling when driving through town or on the highway.

All in all I’d say it’s definitely a much better driving car.

Mine is right around 30 mpg wondering how long it would take to break even

59 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

In my head it’s about 100,000miles. 

My math shows .04 a mile savings I’m not smart enough to figure out how long to break even at $1200 cost I figure now that warranty is up soon as something goes wrong I will fix it unless I get pushed off the cliff sooner I’m also considering the frost heater would be nice 

My math shows .04 a mile savings I’m not smart enough to figure out how long to break even at $1200 cost I figure now that warranty is up soon as something goes wrong I will fix it unless I get pushed off the cliff sooner I’m also considering the frost heater would be nice 

1,200/0.04=30,000miles to pay off with those numbers.
At $3/gal (I wish) if you went from 30mpg to 40mpg (that seems like a stretch) you’d be saving $0.025/mile. Figure $1k for plumbing and another $1k to make the ECM and DSG happy.
2000/0.025=80,000miles.

6 hours ago, J Dansie said:

Mine is right around 30 mpg wondering how long it would take to break even

You cant put a price on the smile on your face when you drive it.