Serpentine belt took out my motor

Woodenhead

Driving home from work today and my AC gets warm, the battery light comes on and the glow plug light starts flashing. The wife left the lights on a while back and killed the battery so I assumed the alternator probably packed it in and I decided I'd take it easy on some side roads and get it home since it was 108F outside. I also noticed it lost a fair bit of engine power and the battery voltage was at about 11.7V so I figured it must be in some sort of limp mode that also turned off the AC.  As I was climbing a hill the engine died and left me stranded, by this time the battery voltage was 11.4 so I figured maybe that wasn't enough to keep it running.

As I'm waiting for my buddy with the trailer I start poking around under the hood and realize the serpentine belt is gone which makes sense now with no AC or alternator.  Then, as I'm doing some googling to see what it'll take to replace it I come across a post from a guy who's serpentine belt shredded and got into the timing belt causing it to skip some teeth and whack some valves.  Back under the hood I go and start to realize this is likely what happened to me, there are shreds of serpentine belt in the timing belt.  The car wouldn't start with a boost which pretty much confirms it.  So we pushed, pulled and dragged it onto the trailer while baking it the warm desert sun all with the help of a mighty nice Wa state patrol officer.

So, best case scenario I'm out about $2k for a head and all the fixings.

Worst case scenario, the motor is trash in which case I don't know what I'll do.

The whole situation makes me sick, this is the first time I bucked up for a nice car for myself and I've been really enjoying driving this thing.  Such is life I guess, I'll get it figured out but I welcome any input on diagnosing it, sourcing parts and instructions on tearing this thing apart and putting it back together.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

good luck Mike, is it a v6 or 4 cylinder?

Thanks Dave, I’m gonna need it. It’s my 2012 Sportwagen TDI. 105,000miles, was going to do the timing belt this fall. 

Edited by Woodenhead

4 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

did some reading that is really a goofy failure

For sure, if I hadn’t read about it happening it would have taken me a while to get to that conclusion. 
With the failures I read about the engine was salvageable, I hope that’s the case here.  

So sorry this happened I always thought the serpentine belt in the timing belt kit was just a bonus now thinking it might be preventive maintenance I will follow your progress I will keep an eye out in my local area for head/motor 

• Thanks 1

Lets hope you got lucky and didn't do any valve damage. I got lucky with the Santa Fe when the timing belt let go and all it did was put a couple little nicks on top of one cylinder. That was with the belt completely breaking. I could have got away with just a new belt and the fixins but with over 200k on it I had the heads rebuilt. 

• Thanks 2

Good luck, I hope it's as little damage as can be. Interference engines are more efficient but at the cost of complexity. I had a t-belt break on a Dodge 2.2L 2 valve engine once and a new belt and 30min later it was back up and running. I've also had a t-belt break on an old 4 valve DSM and it took out all the valves and pistons.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

that is the one i saw as well, he broke a bunch of rockers, as well as bent valves. i would not worry about piston protrusion you have softer stuff to break than bending connecting rods

I agree. The valves will bend, or the push rods will give before the connecting rods.

7 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I agree. The valves will bend, or the push rods will give before the connecting rods.

I haven’t had the 2.0 Tdi apart I believe they are overhead cam hydraulic lifters 

1 minute ago, J Dansie said:

I haven’t had the 2.0 Tdi apart I believe they are overhead cam hydraulic lifters 

Ooof! You are correct. Wrong engine on my mind..... If you don't see valve marks in the top of the pistons, I'm sure the connecting rods are fine. If you do, I would be inclined to measure piston protrusion.

Thanks for the input fellas, for a minute there you scared me with the push rods, just when I thought I was getting my head around this lol.

I'm still looking for a good dumbed down set of instructions for doing the head R&R, or if I find a decent set for the timing belt that'll probably get me most of the way there.   I guess I could be searching for head gasket instructions too.

1 hour ago, Woodenhead said:

Thanks for the input fellas, for a minute there you scared me with the push rods, just when I thought I was getting my head around this lol.

I'm still looking for a good dumbed down set of instructions for doing the head R&R, or if I find a decent set for the timing belt that'll probably get me most of the way there.   I guess I could be searching for head gasket instructions too.

Sorry, sometimes (most times) I am doing 3 things at once. I'm not really qualified to do one.

I have a borescope that will go through an injector hole. It is very good. I'm sure the dam has one you could borrow for a night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

Sorry, sometimes (most times) I am doing 3 things at once. I'm not really qualified to do one.

I have a borescope that will go through an injector hole. It is very good. I'm sure the dam has one you could borrow for a night?

That’s a good idea. I have one that connects to my phone but it’s up at the boat, had to chase down a hidden leak. 
I’ll see if I can round one up. 

20 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

step one check the timing if out of time, correct the timing and try to start. if it starts grab a cold one, if it does not, time to pull the head 

I guess I assumed if it skipped then it made contact, especially with my foot to the wood pulling a hill lol. I’ll pull the valve cover and look for anything obvious, then do the excavating I need to check and set set the timing as you suggest. Ya never know. 

• Like 1

Timing is simple as with older tdi a pin in pump pin in cam and the adapter piece for crank I recently timed mine really to check may as well buy new set only thing to loose is couple tty bolts and if it runs you’re set. 
I recommend some brake cleaner in the holes to time pins are tight and they have little dust buildup 

Was a brutal day in the shop today between struggling to get this thing apart, uncovering the carnage and sweating it out in a nice 95F day.  I'm used to being able to rely on instructions from forums or youtube to make my way through these things but I've learned there's limited information available for this work on a CBEA or CJAA motor.  Anyway, enough whining...

I pulled the crank serpentine pully and timing belt covers and found a mess of shredded serpentine belt wrapped around the crank timing gear under the belt.  After spending the rest of the day of excavating a stupid amount of hoses, wires, injectors and stuff I've already forgotten about I finally got to the valve cover and found every exhaust rocker is broken and the cam followers/rollers are scattered around.  I managed to get the cams out at the end of the day, at least one lobe on the exhaust cam is ground pretty hard and I think another lobe is spun on the shaft.  As I understand it, the cam lobes are shrunk/pressed on.  The intake appears to have survived which would make sense I guess since they're just opening late rather than the exhaust closing late.

Next I need to pull the head, I haven't figured out if I need to bring the exhaust manifold and turbo with it or just free up the manifold, like I said, limited resources.  There's eight nuts on the manifold but I don't know if I can get them all, there are three I can't even see.  The turbo has an insane amount of plumbing for all the EGR and who knows what else.  It's a mystery how that thing could even come out of there.

Tomorrow morning I'll tackle the head, one way or the other I'm going to the lake in the afternoon.  I've had to remind myself numerous times today of the thing's I'm thankful for, a healthy family, having a place to struggle through this and having a hoist.  I'll post a few pictures if I can get tapatalk figured out again.

a96c299cc7c534c58006b7899c663301.pngdc52d400d0d8fddf7f42fd720c180b74.png
I came across this the other day looks complete and low miles not sure what shipping would be if you are interested I can always pickup and send only what you need now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, J Dansie said:
a96c299cc7c534c58006b7899c663301.pngdc52d400d0d8fddf7f42fd720c180b74.png
I came across this the other day looks complete and low miles not sure what shipping would be if you are interested I can always pickup and send only what you need now

Depending on how tomorrow goes I might be interested in that. Either way, it’s still about the price of a new head. Thanks for sharing that, I’ll let you know.

Edited by Woodenhead