Garden 38, Back zero...

Finally got the dahlia garden strip final tilling, prep, and planting done. A 20 foot dill row and 38 dahlias planted as well as 2 hills of pickling cukes and 9 strawberry starts in.  Now I need to take a week off to recover so I can do the back brakes on the truck. I still need to prep the front dahlia strip and plant 6 more but that will have to wait.  IF anyone wants dahlia bulbs for next year, come up when they are in bloom and select what you want.

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

Edited by rubystargoats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, megacabcummins said:

Nice Dude.... I never thought to post our flowers on here lol. We have a TON of flowers this year....

Lol, I actually have a gardening and landscaping facebook page (albeit with very little activity).  I’m a bit of a gardening and lawn nerd. Maybe we need to have Russ start a gardening section to the forum...or maybe not 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

Lol, I actually have a gardening and landscaping facebook page (albeit with very little activity).  I’m a bit of a gardening and lawn nerd. Maybe we need to have Russ start a gardening section to the forum...or maybe not 😂

Uhhh lol

knitting and grip challenges too as they go well together. 🙃😝

17 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

Yea same here... All of my gardening stuff is on IG. 

RUSS Start a gardening section buddy :)

0729201134b (1).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well I didn't take care of them or stake them up, just no time for them. The neighbors have been clipping them from time to time, one of them took 2 5 gallon buckets full of the white ones for a wedding.  But here is how they look now.Soon the frost will kill them and I will have to dig them back up. Really light frost a couple of nights ago but they survived.

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

• Like 3

We’ve got a bunch of low 20’s this week coming forecasted , turned off sprinklers and drip ,I’ll turn off the main lines and turn back on the sprinklers to empty the system tomorrow with the auto bleed down . My system is well below ground , with end of line bleed valves so just applied electric to the main valves allows any residual water to drain off 

We leave a lot of our dahlias in the ground now. I think the only ones we'll be digging up are the ones that will get moved to a new location. We got several at the dahlia tuber sale and they were not what they were listed as, which is a risk when you buy there. All of the begonias are trimmed back and will get stored, there's like 60 of those. And then tons of fuchsias which will get wintered over in the garage, my work space gets smaller every year lol. Looking at getting a second cold storage greenhouse.... 

4 minutes ago, megacabcummins said:

We leave a lot of our dahlias in the ground now. I think the only ones we'll be digging up are the ones that will get moved to a new location. We got several at the dahlia tuber sale and they were not what they were listed as, which is a risk when you buy there. All of the begonias are trimmed back and will get stored, there's like 60 of those. And then tons of fuchsias which will get wintered over in the garage, my work space gets smaller every year lol. Looking at getting a second cold storage greenhouse.... 

I have had a lot of issues with the tubers rotting if left in the ground and I lost several of the ones I really liked.  Plus I can till and re-mulch the soil every year. Without the wife and daughter to help all the other flower beds are now weeds. the rhododendrons are azaleas are doing good since they require very little care.

I like begonias but I never spent enough time to get very many going and then never managed to carry them over to the next year, they freeze off really easy. You grow them in pots?

Oh yea, soil drainage is huge for the dahlias if you winter them over in the ground. Still not 100% satisfied with the soil we got, but it's better than what we had. I would like to till but my wife has a problem called "she likes tulips and daffodils" so there's TONS of bulbs everywhere. I think last year we put in about 750-800 and this year will be more. I got her a bunch at Costco in the bulk bags, and then we get the big bulk bags at Rozengaarde. Used to be 50% of every first week of December but I think they quit doing that :(

Yes we grow the begonias in pots, and then winter the tubers over in the garage. We have some that are 7-8 years old now grown from seed. If it gets really cold they get moved to the laundry room with a heater that keeps it above freezing and they do well. Then they get repotted in the spring, this year they will get divided. Kelly read that is better for them after they get a certain size and will bloom more. My grandfather used to work in the lab at Texaco and brought home vermiculite they used for packing and just threw them in that and stored them under the house.   

So I’ll brag a little here about my mom. Her gardens have been shared on Fine Gardening’s website numerous times and some photos have even been published in their magazine. She’s 71 now and still does it all on her own with help from my dad. As you know, it’s a lot of work but she somehow manages to keep it immaculate.
These pictures were just shared there recently. 
https://www.finegardening.com/article/end-of-summer-in-alices-garden?source=W4489ENL&tp=i-1NHD-BC-SF0-1Wp7gD-1o-TlK-1c-1RPa-1O7LMe-l6g8FLguHD-1QwrzZ&sourcekey=W4489ENL&utm_campaign=gpod&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&cid=108562&mid=1401159837

• Like 3

I’m sure you won’t mind if I don’t show these to my wife .... it would kill my back to try to keep a garden looking like this LOL

we have a nice yard but it is a real chore to keep it up , I look forward to this time of year so it goes dormant 😁 for a few months. .......  I was just kidding Dear 👀