Is anyone here using an Andersen 5th wheel hitch that connects to the rails from your conventional 5th wheel hitch?

I see several trucks that have them that attach to the Gooseneck ball and then get torqued down, but not seeing the other. I’m curious if they’re as quiet as the Gooseneck model. 

thanks, Dan

I had to delete my first responce becase I didn't fully read your post.

I am not a fan of the way the adaptor to the trailer is attached.

All the hitch weight goes on the tips of 4 set screws. 

I do see that a used one of these is for sale on a Facebook sales page in Oregon city $425.

6 hours ago, Bob V said:

I had to delete my first responce becase I didn't fully read your post.

I am not a fan of the way the adaptor to the trailer is attached.

All the hitch weight goes on the tips of 4 set screws. 

I do see that a used one of these is for sale on a Facebook sales page in Oregon city $425.

I’m skeptical myself of how they would hold up in accident. I’ve also never seen safety chains on them yet gooseneck requires them. 

They do have safety chain kits available that bolt to the king pin plate and then to the rails. 
There’s videos showing the destructive testing of the hitches and the amount of force that they can withstand. I’m not concerned about strength of the hitch engineering but very curious about what noises it will make. My 20R Reese hitch makes so much noise and is very annoying. 

53 minutes ago, Sasquash said:

They do have safety chain kits available that bolt to the king pin plate and then to the rails. 
There’s videos showing the destructive testing of the hitches and the amount of force that they can withstand. I’m not concerned about strength of the hitch engineering but very curious about what noises it will make. My 20R Reese hitch makes so much noise and is very annoying. 

In my simple mind 20k coming to dead stop something is going to give and trailer will keep moving. 
on safety chains curious why they aren’t standard equipment and required as they are with other ball hitch 

I saw a video that explained why Gooseneck hitches have chains and 5th wheels do not. The idea is that the 5th wheel will pull out of the hitch before you get out of you parking spot if not engaged properly. If locked, you should never have an issue with a hitch that is functioning properly. Also the engagement is supposed to be much stronger than a ball type hitch. Also there is a chance that the wrong size ball could be installed and the hitch will jump off the ball at speed. They pointed out that no over road trucking uses chains in a 5th wheel application. The trailer will destroy the truck before it comes disconnected.

Not sure if this is true or not but that is what they said.... seems plausible.

We talked a little about the Anderson hitch on another site.

One THEORY is that because the trailer now needs to be raised up much higher to clear the ball the front trailer jacks have a shorter life span.

If you think about the 5th wheel only needs to be raised enough to take thr load off the hitch.

On the Anderson you have to take the load off the hitch AND  raise another 4" or so, then back down to level, then,  back up to clear the ball again. 

For sure a LOT more jack movement and more time to hook snd unhook. 

I don't see how an extra 3 or 4" of lift to set the PIN section down on the ball is going to cause any issues since the overall height of the 5th wheel needs to ride at the same level above the bed rails as before.

Am I missing something here? 

Thanks, Dan

53 minutes ago, Sasquash said:

I don't see how an extra 3 or 4" of lift to set the PIN section down on the ball is going to cause any issues since the overall height of the 5th wheel needs to ride at the same level above the bed rails as before.

Thanks, Dan

The only difference is every time you hook and unhook you’re going that extra just more wear and tear on the jacks is all 

2 hours ago, Sasquash said:

Thanks, Dan

Insted of just getting the weight off the hitch, you have to get the weight off the hitch then raise another 3 to 4 inches to get above the ball to unhook.

Again, not saying it cases a problem, but more time and more raising and lowering to front jacks

Since my entrance steps are towards the rear of the trailer it seems like I always have to raise the front jacks up to get the trailer leveled up anyway so I don’t think that it’s something to worry about. As long as I can safely install and remove the hitch without assistance I think that it’s a win for me. Currently there isn’t a way that I can do that with my Reese hitch. The 20 R hitch might be for sale soon.  
:thumbup2::p: