So what’s the steepest grade you’ve been on

16 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Just hearing the last two traipses the hair on the back of my neck , like a ridgeback dog lol

Or an old silverback Gorilla in mating season. At least that’s how it goes for me 

hahahah

• Haha 1

My little experience happened 40 years ago. It still seems pretty fresh when I think about it.

One of the scariest things I’ve experienced in my 64 years for sure..

I had one on I-5 going downhill lots of grades with 90 1ton 2wd dually with 51ft wedge and three vans on it. Hit some debris that took out the trailer brakes. Was turning into a runaway fast. Tried applying emergency brake lightly, tried gearing down and was hitting 50mph curves on steep downgrade at 80.

Driver behind me saw the wood fly up from right trailer wheels. Couldn’t avoid as it flew off a flatbed bouncing on the freeway. 
Next was all four corners lit up. Fire and brake fluid now burning.

The driver behind me got in front and was gesturing his CB mic. Big rig says he will stop me and bump into him. I tapped him and was telling him I was now against his trailer and he was letting off throttle. I could feel I was slowing down and managed to gear down to third. Then he pulled away. I was wondering why and then he said; “You’re off the hill.” 
WHEW! Then he said he saw the wood fly and figured it must’ve been the culprit on the trailer brakes. Sure enough it hit the back plate and tore off the wires. 
I veered into an empty lot off a short off ramp and circled several times until it finally stopped. My legs were shaking when I stepped out. First thing I did was talk to the shop nearby. They heard about it on their base station. The guy said give him the keys, go get a room and clean my shorts. He wasn’t far off lolol

Had to replace all rotors, drums, master, pads, shoes and lines. Complete front to back brake job.

USDOT showed up and asked for all my paperwork (heard on the CB) and verified my insurance, weight registration and log book. No violations. On edit, that was the last time I hauled that much ‘legally’ in the eyes of USDOT. That idea I’m legal if under 26K lbs with a one ton was appealing until this happened. 👍😎

Edited by Scotty_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Abbyfireguy said:

My little experience happened 40 years ago. It still seems pretty fresh when I think about it.

One of the scariest things I’ve experienced in my 64 years for sure..

Mine was in 1991 I think. It's all fuzzy back that far :)

Of course I wasn't the guy in the truck with no brakes I was just the guy in the dozer he was fixing to run over!

Scotty those of us that run air brakes have always thought that you're just one tiny wire away from a runaway with those Hot shots. I had never heard a story like yours but I always feared that it would happen. Today I hit a big chunk of steel on the road with the one ton, it came up and took paint off the bottom of the cab and then dented the aluminum toolbox behind it. I pulled over at the tire shop and checked everything out.  If it had gone inside it could have taken the brake line off either end of the truck or both.

3 hours ago, skyking said:

Scotty those of us that run air brakes have always thought that you're just one tiny wire away from a runaway with those Hot shots. I had never heard a story like yours but I always feared that it would happen. Today I hit a big chunk of steel on the road with the one ton, it came up and took paint off the bottom of the cab and then dented the aluminum toolbox behind it. I pulled over at the tire shop and checked everything out.  If it had gone inside it could have taken the brake line off either end of the truck or both.

Yeah when stuff flies it can do some serious damage. 
And it happens so fast.

The difference is with air brakes, when something gets knocked off you typically skid to a quick stop. It happened to me once. Remember that terrible washboard in the right lanes of I-5 southbound up Southcenter hill? I was hammering up that lane about 10 years ago and an airline came off one of the back cans. I barely got it on the shoulder!  

1 hour ago, skyking said:

The difference is with air brakes, when something gets knocked off you typically skid to a quick stop. It happened to me once. Remember that terrible washboard in the right lanes of I-5 southbound up Southcenter hill? I was hammering up that lane about 10 years ago and an airline came off one of the back cans. I barely got it on the shoulder!  

I was in a truck and pup on lonely 2 lane road miles from civilization the air line blew where it T’s from frame to axles I was cooking at 70 everything locked up and I skidded to the fastest stop of my life the truck had deep low 1st with hot brakes I got mostly off of the travel lane to the  nonexistent shoulder 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, skyking said:

I would prefer that for sure. Back then I couldn’t justify a bigger truck with IFTA and a few other cash grabbers taking more of what I earned. I didn’t run that 3 car wedge very long. It was a pain in the arse when delivering to customers in residential areas. Went back to a two car flat deck and an enclosed for the expensive vehicles I was handling.

• Thanks 1

Indeed, 51' of trailer is no great shakes. I made one bedbug trip across the country with a cabover Pete and a 48' double drop deck, and had to do about a half mile back in at one delivery. No one had trimmed trees on that country lane, but I took care of it :D

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, skyking said:

Indeed, 51' of trailer is no great shakes. I made one bedbug trip across the country with a cabover Pete and a 48' double drop deck, and had to do about a half mile back in at one delivery. No one had trimmed trees on that country lane, but I took care of it :D

Correction lol looking back it was a 53 footer. The reason I ran a regular cab. I was overlength in some states already.

Hahah, I pruned some greenery now and then. 

The memories I drove a strong arm super dump for a paving company I was legal at 80k in straight truck had 7 axles we did lots of driveways in park city Utah multimillion dollar homes I always knew it was bad when they drove me in the pickup to see best way to get the truck into the job

• Like 1

At least they took you in the pickup. With that moving truck they would just lie. You'd show up give it every effort you could do and then tell them straight up they had to pay for a shuttle. And then the howling would commence! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, skyking said:

At least they took you in the pickup. With that moving truck they would just lie. You'd show up give it every effort you could do and then tell them straight up they had to pay for a shuttle. And then the howling would commence! 

Now delivering freight we do fair amount of residential with lift gate I always google map and look at satellite view before even attempting then they howl when we tell them we only bring to the door or inside garage never inside residence sometimes they refuse it

Well damnnn , ya mean you don’t unpack and set it up for the home owner ... geees like the days of old when we got a window wash with gas fill lol all the good things are gone 

ya just can’t fix stupid can ya

30 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Well damnnn , ya mean you don’t unpack and set it up for the home owner ... geees like the days of old when we got a window wash with gas fill lol all the good things are gone 

ya just can’t fix stupid can ya

That’s different division we just deliver I love when  I show up they have no dock or forklift ask about lift gate I’m like sure call the office they charge extra and redelivery fee 

FYI .. I’ve driven several types of trucking , tankers , dry freight etc etc so know the drill 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GTroyer said:

FYI .. I’ve driven several types of trucking , tankers , dry freight etc etc so know the drill 😁

I took my Cdl test in 10 wheel water truck with 30’ tilt deck equipment trailer was only thing in the yard that day