So what’s the steepest grade you’ve been on

Took a “get out of the house “ ride couple days ago .. had to stop just beyond this spot , road not open yet do to winter closure snows

only other one I’ve been on steeper is the Hwy 108 Sonora pass it’s 26% grade same type of sign.

85DDE86A-ED8B-4CE0-9527-8A30FC14EF4B.png

Edited by GTroyer
Spelling
  • Like 1

<gets out a calculator>

25 miles X 5280 feet per mile X 0.24% = 31,680 feet descended? 😮

Hmm...  Steepest...  

Lassen National Park, or Going to the Sun Road, or maybe Rocky Mountain National Park??

Nothing close to 24%

19c90b852406eaeb6f95d951889e07f4.jpg

This pass is called Ebbetts Pass  

the actual road is about 1.5 lanes wide , have to be very cautious as it’s also very windy and tight turns 

not a “normal road” but nice get away ride , perfect for M/C riding beautiful routes 

Edited by GTroyer
37 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

This pass is called Ebbetts Pass  

the actual road is about 1.5 lanes wide , have to be very cautious as it’s also very windy and tight turns 

not a “normal road” but nice get away ride , perfect for M/C riding beautiful routes 

The road up to Virginia City was pretty dang steep, also the road into Yosemite too

1 hour ago, Big Russ said:

<gets out a calculator>

25 miles X 5280 feet per mile X 0.24% = 31,680 feet descended? 😮

Hmm...  Steepest...  

Lassen National Park, or Going to the Sun Road, or maybe Rocky Mountain National Park??

Nothing close to 24%

19c90b852406eaeb6f95d951889e07f4.jpg

Looks like lolo pass Idaho/Montana

I have been up and down some pretty hills hauling the race truck around. I never had a chance to take pictures of the signs. I am not sure what the steepest hill was. I bet Pat knows. He is good at remembering that kind of stuff.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hauled a cat paver down a 10% for 10 miles on a tilt trailer behind a dump truck was told I was over 80k and I was picked because they knew I could handle the job. 

16 hours ago, J Dansie said:

Beautiful drive if you have nowhere to be all day 

It was one way to get from Missoula to Boise.. :)

Thats not my picture, but I remember seeing the sign and thinking that would be a good place to stop for a picture...

Not even close lol

you can still see the road going up and out front going down 

the two i refer to you cant 😁 same with a couple others posted about 

On 2/26/2021 at 8:40 PM, skyking said:

Probably the lost coast road in California, between Petrolia and Ferndale. Sure, they were only 100' deep ups and downs, but nobody specified how long the grades were :D

They were just insane steeps. 

Some spots over there ya drag both bumpers on a long PU truck lol

On 2/26/2021 at 5:53 PM, HOSS said:

I have been up and down some pretty hills hauling the race truck around. I never had a chance to take pictures of the signs. I am not sure what the steepest hill was. I bet Pat knows. He is good at remembering that kind of stuff.

Steepest one that comes to mind was that side road we took on the way to Yellowstone Drag Strip. 

Steepest one that comes to mind was that side road we took on the way to Yellowstone Drag Strip. 
[emoji1787] the testical festival

• Like 1

In 1981, driving a fully loaded Concrete truck down a 200 yard construction road down to the fish ladders we were expanding. Had a D9 cat cabled to my mixer.

It was craziness. The 10 meter mixer truck grossed at 102,000 lbs on 5 axles(twin steer axles,twin drive axles,and one booster axle).

That scared the living crap,out of me . Never forgot that feeling,nor the feeling of relief when empty and dragged back up with the same D9 onto pavement.

Steep down hill grades are usually not my favorite roads for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the Cowlitz Falls dam job, they had a boo-boo that needed fixing. The fix was to set my backhoe with the hammer on it on top of a half load of rock in one of the Terex end dumps similar to this:

2812361_3923_159_0001.jpg

Then back up to this wall that poured in the wrong spot. The only problem was the basically 3 to 1 Cat road to the bottom of the cut. The teamster started onto that, and after about 20 yards he just tossed his hands up " I am out of air pressure".

I had him wheel chocked with a D7G, and we slowly backed down there with me holding the 150,000 pound haul truck by  my blade on the front bumper. Your story brought that back Steve, thank you.

EDIT: The 7 did have a winch, but there was a pesky 90 degree corner on that cat trail onto the top of the diversion dam. It took us a while to get around that corner LOL.

Posted (edited)

Just hearing the last two raises the hair on the back of my neck , like a ridgeback dog lol

Edited by GTroyer
  • Like 1