Well it was all in time that the knowledge of having a SBC stage 2 endurance cam, pd130 injectors, and the nagging of Malone saying the stock turbo was the restriction that I caved. Unlike my dads unplanned turbo replacement, I have been itching to do this for years 😁.  Seeing the turbo I wanted for a smoking deal from a US based seller, I now have a Holset HE221W, it flows a max of 38 lbs/min and is reasonably sized to make as much power as I want to make. The 6 cm exhaust housing should spool relatively quick while not limiting the high end power. I will be adding a pd150 intake manifold with a 57mm race-pipe from metal piping and an upgraded side mount intercooler that is an upgrade for the gasser 1.8t. Whitbread a well know fabricator from tdiclub sells ARP 8740 headstuds for the BEW so those will be going in as well. If compared to a vnt turbo it falls in line slightly above a GTB 2260VLKR, just with a slower spool and a bit better high end flow. 

With the much longer gearing in my car I dislike the extremely quick boost onset given by vnt's, all the torque at low rpms and high loads seems to be a good combination for breaking things, so I decided going to a simpler turbo that favors a higher rpm band would be the smart choice considering the cross country road trips this car sees. 

bQqvCVAaL6Es54LeGvBIlY26BRMzvXQu7UR-3-6wWwVBr61F9OhB9z_tU-ZmDCfoX2qBnvEdCI9fiVhzvpkr9mdg50ywt2z-d-sXAZK4pV6KfH08wNuv09C5Xi4KpO6FYhhtHfJpepmHWVb4kYzq7obVYGhAnfotjemfouf9AMyGpzQsrWI6vk8yEaCgPXHpLnX8wpF9Sn7Xzk8i2Y47hKDyP8EahHRWbvoBUmJ-LVU8waBYSTW429PBnptyviMsFsSM4LQ967pQuobWXdbHWR-iFXquBWbANcEGVASAGimixzBAKz2fRHuSOhGhTGtkSa0DUoaeG-btjE7Sh-A5G3iG1WNbC1HcuaUgsIFqsCaQQNysyppNApmsGjRu_JAIfYIZ67mUZ6pJr378lk9FBIlFuckEZWWO9VUqP1SgLn5zy93YfKThG_pn6V_brk1KqrfkzVuFm95yLDJ9FFrEikeU5D_Wv4QtrGnsLNoPEFK0mb8THzqvlS9uIN1TALjIi4mJnwdxORrSrMzAkDIU3ZJIwarYbXVpJhWkq2SKE6zoCY1bQoehEzuTd006m2w9x84c-jzQO_Mk1FwpVtflz3vn05VVFngHlnpdtTojpewGlhW7NRaNUk1Ij7exrNue5Uo7vCHZLUyzrDwb0tAPH5EK-qvXLvlnag_6-JSwsC7M7Cr5-4YAQGG1P1HA6Uk=w732-h975-no?authuser=0

tFHWZX-3O-GnCITfNOyvq6v22GC8WVAj9AaRIIcCJT8zgfaS48gRs8IujQdVNkstYpn8mzqX7EiZaGAz3Qb9cEEs90I32OPLsy_2_MA-CH-nwBIjtrZJ6eXZ5IWMZ4ZlpKtwvzNfmsQCrh-veNjcTd2WBCjiJfkZK5ixqW38GGvC9LMhV2fUtLoIsrTbrUmRmTiqPJ5HlM9dCPVxd6XXBmqF7UlkH_MHYQsagu3jz9u0ebwZCGR6QswlwOBdkisxanz5pvoGZqXr0k2J_6w5rBB7OUxqmZXaTVQNXOCgTOcwJkiuUqklhRtZ30Q12bbmzLfXYKRspH4ilKtkBpb2ZbEdU278zn8fPeUGCAWPa2nDQ3b3jtO2wWnzVf4YMNHhLdaRYbd9rOhNYgs10F_cteiiwMkywVabBWwl3hHngUDtBDBFW1PVsVvQVr01egshdkrlZN2vbXWua8K_TVWKBFVc8Ah__8FAwklwfFy7uUlkokCJ3VnOm8Ajf8fIeMUDpQR6BtdJvk6wdl5NIVuOunh09NnxKzmojwTbq-B60yfo2fBUWNRRbm91oa7g6k9rbUFK4r5wkuPzw2HPH-9rv7sqcn_5ItJnYHBCNNor_x2_NlW8uh0f5AIjyiV7Wxl7ZocF8hwkpUiQrCdvUSoWolUeJB0AV8dTAe6n6tdhBkR3L66DbfnKqaDN4Stv56U=w732-h975-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

Plan is over the summer after the big road trip. I am still trying to figure out the best way to set up the exhaust manifold, I'm not sure if there is room to use a t3 cast manifold with a adapter to t25, or try and figure out how to weld a t25 flange to the cut up manifold of my dads old turbo. 

Down here campus security doesn't like me too much after replacing my transmission in the parking lot, I can only imagine how mad they would be if the entire front end was in pieces🤣

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, Destro said:

Down here campus security doesn't like me too much after replacing my transmission in the parking lot, I can only imagine how mad they would be if the entire front end was in pieces🤣

Bring them donuts. You’ll be able to tear the car completely apart and put it back together again. Plus they will provide security, you won’t have to worry about anything going missing.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm still blowing of the click fittings that VW used on the PD intercooler on a regular basis, not sure why they decided to put a half inch part that quadrupled the number of connectors in a 2 inch space so I think before the semester is over I will be swapping the intercooler and piping, it looks like the 1.8t metal pancake pipe alongside their upgraded SMIC should be almost a bolt in. Helps we have a Krispy crème less then a mile away. As I remember it from the other golf, the PD 150 manifold shouldn't be too hard to do either while I'm in there. It will also give me a chance to get a better measurement for the amount of room between the firewall and block to see where I can put the turbo.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

... Plus they will provide security, you won’t have to worry about anything going missing.🤣

They['ve already done that a couple times.  I think they are done with that... now if he makes it a burger and fries ... :right:

In all honesty, they were pretty good about it both times.  Even though they drove by several times, they didn't really say anything until we were almost done.

10 hours ago, Destro said:

I'm still blowing of the click fittings that VW used on the PD intercooler on a regular basis, not sure why they decided to put a half inch part that quadrupled the number of connectors in a 2 inch space so I think before the semester is over I will be swapping the intercooler and piping, it looks like the 1.8t metal pancake pipe alongside their upgraded SMIC should be almost a bolt in. Helps we have a Krispy crème less then a mile away. As I remember it from the other golf, the PD 150 manifold shouldn't be too hard to do either while I'm in there. It will also give me a chance to get a better measurement for the amount of room between the firewall and block to see where I can put the turbo.

You can get mom to help when she comes ou... never mind.  That would not go well. :bunker:

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, carl20320 said:

You can get mom to help when she comes ou... never mind.  That would not go well. :bunker:

I can definitively say it will either happen before she comes out or after, but either way not WHILE she is out here 😂

Edited by Destro
2 hours ago, Destro said:

I can definitively say it will either happen before she comes out or after, but either way not WHILE she is out here 😂

Thank you!  I would never hear the end of it.

BTW, don't know if it was just me or not but no pics came through in your first post

Edited by carl20320

[emoji16], also I can see them but I'll repost the pictures of the He221w

Another update, is that I measured the distance behind the block to the firewall and with my flexible tape measure and the forums best I could tell is there is around 10 inches. Add in motor rock and a little clearance, and it look like the standard aftermarket turbo manifolds wont work, they are around 4 inches deep, plus the turbo is mounted strait off the back of the manifold. Mounted that way would take close to 6 inches after it was clocked properly. I think the solution that is most commonly used is to use the stock manifold and weld a flange in place of the turbo, however I am not sure of that would leave enough room between it and the block, that will be a challenge that I will face when doing the turbo install itself. 

1709a1b59ec409d2d5418b64c4ae34d1.jpg

7bae31797d6e24af59fb34086d6d1d79.jpg49d3715480923245eb45709ab79f32d6.jpg
Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Destro
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

FYI, this build is not funded by the Bank of Dad!  😂

That bank is busy funding it’s own projects. LOL!

Time to learn to TIG weld and do a custom stainless header....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

That bank is busy funding it’s own projects. LOL!

Time to learn to TIG weld and do a custom stainless header....

That sounds like and offer to teach me.... if so I'm in!

I'll have you know though, my knowledge of welding comes from making a mold out of 1/4 inch mild steel with MIG, that was two years ago and it came out just good enough to get the job done😅.

I have the cad for the flange, and I plan on measuring the area to play with / were the turbo needs to be placed when I install the intake manifold and new intercooler.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Destro said:

That sounds like and offer to teach me.... if so I'm in!

I'll have you know though, my knowledge of welding comes from making a mold out of 1/4 inch mild steel with MIG, that was two years ago and it came out just good enough to get the job done😅.

I have the cad for the flange, and I plan on measuring the area to play with / were the turbo needs to be placed when I install the intake manifold and new intercooler.

We could certainly give it a try. Do you Guys still have the old turbo from the donor Golf? We could use it as a template.

• Like 2

Yes we do, my first idea was to do what a lot of people seem to do and just cut of the turbine housing from the old one and weld a t25 flange to the cast manifold, second option in my mind is to use 2 90's and 2 t stainless pipes and make a log that puts the turbo in relatively the same place. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well after a fun run in with one of Florida's surprise storms last night, (I think I had more lighting getting everything into cover from lightning then the lights) I have completed the install of my bigger side mount intercooler. It is an eBay unit, but its twice the thickness with aluminum endcaps. Alongside this all of the intake piping is now metal, the 1.8t pankake pipe bolts right up, and with a 2 inch silicone hump connector the turbo outlet pipe fits right up. The PD 150 manifold went in at the same time. It has turned out good, according to logs its cooling the air and egt's climb slower, so its a win in my book. Deleting all of the weird clips was nice as they always were wiggling out at the IC. notably the smoke across the board is much lower. 

896334cb03b37fce70cdfc04dce4fe15.jpg659d2b11a16189f80029ed39c375bc0a.jpg427d1b4d5348866ed367cc9c750968c2.jpg74d2c56975d09f476b32d2022fb26b37.jpg

Edited by Destro
  • Like 1

Thank you! 

I think the real surprise is that the car still drives and has not blown up yet🤣 I even had the valve cover off to try and fix the oil leak!

• Haha 1
On 4/5/2021 at 2:39 PM, Destro said:

Thank you! 

I think the real surprise is that the car still drives and has not blown up yet🤣 I even had the valve cover off to try and fix the oil leak!

Yeah, I don't think stopping that oil leak is ever going to happen

Edited by carl20320

I brought it up with him the other day and figured I'd go ahead and throw it our for opinions.  He has a SBC Stage 2 Endurance. I have a stock clutch that I am forcing to last until summer.  He is going to be at the very upper end of what the Stage 2 Endurance is rated at with his build.  I'm only in the upper quarter so a Stage 2 Endurance has a nice safety factor with my car.

His clutch is really just now broken in.  Is there any downside to taking his flywheel, Clutch, PP and all and putting it on my car and him installing a Stage 3 Endurance to get some wiggle room back on his car?

Edited by carl20320
47 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

I brought it up with him the other day and figured I'd go ahead and throw it our for opinions.  He has a SBC Stage 2 Endurance. I have a stock clutch that I am forcing to last until summer.  He is going to be at the very upper end of what the Stage 2 Endurance is rated at with his build.  I'm only in the upper quarter so a Stage 2 Endurance has a nice safety factor with my car.

His clutch is really just now broken in.  Is there any downside to taking his flywheel, Clutch, PP and all and putting it on my car and him installing a Stage 3 Endurance to get some wiggle room back on his car?

I’m not seeing a downside use new bolts for the torque to spec in reality if you don’t swap his clutch into yours in the end you will purchase two as long as his isn’t glazed burnt or warped like you said it’s basically broken in. 
in my early years I figured if you had it apart replace with new after pulling the transmission on my 99 ctd numerous times I only replaced what was bad and never had clutch failure that a new one would have prevented 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Destro said:

Thank you! 

Great work especially considering your in a parking lot not a shop. 
might pay to work part time at mechanic shop if you could work on your own stuff when off the clock 

• Like 1