We traded the MkVI TDI Beetle for a Tiguan

Mary's arthritis is doing what it does, and getting in and out of lower cars has gone beyond painful for her. We have spent the last month test sitting SUV height vehicles. She had a Honda Pilot years ago and really liked it, so this was the natural direction.

We tried many different makes and models. One that was really easy and nice was the GMC Acadia, but it was a little too big in her opinion.

Saturday we tried a 2018 Rav4 hybrid. That was a really nice car with all the bells and whistles. I teased the lane assist on the West Valley highway till it offered me a cup of coffee and told me to pull over and rest :D

It was my first experience with adaptive cruise control (ACC). Man did that impress me, I am a ways behind on the technology. Once you've tasted some of this stuff you are hooked, and that was my achilles heel. I wanted that.

We drove the Rav4 for a half hour. We looked at each other as we crawled out of it and shook our heads. That thing kidney punched both of us. Not the worst seat ever, but certainly in the running. 

We had tried the Tiguan because VW does seats well. Saturday the local dealer got a 2019 R-Line in with all the bells and whistles, so we checked that out. We loved it. I did not love the price or condition, however. It had some dings and the engine had a valve tick at 20,000 miles. 

Yesterday I found a 2019 SEL Premium with all the same features and no R-Line badges in Edmonds. They had 3 different candidates to choose from, all very low mile CPO cars. I called as we left Tacoma and the salesman Aaron said he would pull all three out and line them up for us. We got there at noon and started, and it was easily the most pleasant car buying experience ever.

They gave us beyond top dollar for the Beetle ( only 44K miles on it), and we drove away before 3 PM.

24d061f1323f23747c12108ae5d2cb31.jpg

e51c1bc5f13a86235020fa1f0ecbf316.jpg

6176ac25bc7e58ffd3bff99aca951830.jpg

The back seaters have the best ride in the house.

a64b8c90cb725e66d068d219cc44d9bd.jpg

• Like 1

My cousin is a car guy and lives up north, so we drove by there and he took it for a drive. He had been looking at them himself. It was funny and telling when he parked it behind their 2003 Pilot, the first year offered and they got it new. I got out to tell him about how close he was getting with the sensors, and he laughed and told me it was no longer concerned about hitting his Pilot but had a big red zone on the corner where it could "see" me taking measurements with my hands. 

After we got out it was easy to note how much shorter in height and length, and narrower than the Pilot. It is just big enough to be comfortable for us.

Nice car! I know what you mean about the bells and whistles. They quickly become a necessity.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, HOSS said:

Nice car! I know what you mean about the bells and whistles. They quickly become a necessity.

Not sorry.......

• Like 1

The bells n whistles are now mandatory items lol

my new truck still amazes me over my old one 😁

congrats again Kelly , I know exactly how Mary feels with the big A and aches n pains as does many others here 

• Thanks 1

Nice ride Kelley! 

I'm assuming the 2.0tsi motor?

My daughter bought a 2020 Jetta with the 1.4tsi motor, I thought it would be gutless, but I was surprised.

• Thanks 1

I was apprehensive over the whole panoramic sun roof situation (leaks, another window to break, something else to go wrong...). But the kids really dig it and I think it’ll help backseat rider that are a bit prone to car sickness. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, marksmith said:

Hey Kelly let us know real world how it does, mileage, road noise, etc. 

We drove it 3 hours yesterday, mostly me on the way home.

Road noise was better than most. 

The fuel gauge moved. I am used to TDI, so that will take some getting used to. 15.9 gallon tank is small for a car that may average 24 MPG. 

We got out of it when we got home and we were surprised at how well it treated us. Real leather seating and trims, firm but with a decent side bolster. 3 memory settings for the driver's seat, but I don't think the mirrors have memory. 

Adaptive Cruise: I used it all the way home down 405 and 167.  It sees cars about 100 yards out, and reacts at 5 different distance settings. 

At the shortest setting it is in the city A-hole combat mode, but there is still plenty of room for someone to cut you off :D

It smoothly slows down with throttle, but it will seriously brake when things go bad. I tried it out a few times with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, and it was very smooth in braking too. That was eerie to watch. I would never trust it in any case beyond reasonable cruising, but it was interesting to see it work. Once traffic picks back up it does too, and you'd be hard pressed to match it. In an effort at smooth acceleration, it will lag a bit behind and catch up but not very much.

European style automatic folding mirrors, which I will disable when I figure out how.  No need to wear out that mechanism where we typically park. Puddle lights on mirrors, as well as cameras. There are at least 4 cameras that will combine to provide a bird's eye view at slow forward speeds or stopped. 

Factory remote start.

Power lift gate on the fob and also the foot under the bumper sensor.

Extremely bright self leveling headlights, with corner lights that come on when you turn the wheel maneuvering. It throws a big bright beam to the side, which looks to be pretty handy. 

• Like 1
Lisa's been eyballing them for a couple years now......  I wont show her this.

I will!
Not sorry

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, HOSS said:

I will!
Not sorry

..... I know where your loyalties lay for sure now!  Everyone sides with her....

Thanks she is very happy. She missed sitting up higher since we sold the Pilot. No regrets about the beetles, just not happy shifting anymore, and then the MKVI was not really as easy to get in an out of as the old MKIV. I am keeping that, it is a comfortable ride for her as long as I am driving.

15 minutes ago, skyking said:

Thanks she is very happy. She missed sitting up higher since we sold the Pilot. No regrets about the beetles, just not happy shifting anymore, and then the MKVI was not really as easy to get in an out of as the old MKIV. I am keeping that, it is a comfortable ride for her as long as I am driving.

Plus you could probably bomber express a B series engine block in the new rig. 

• 3 weeks later...

first tank was 23 MPG.

She is getting used to the size of it. It has an automatic reversing feature that lowers the right mirror down to look at the curb. I got it set to my key and will program it to her key today. It takes a certain sequence to get it set up. 

She forgets the remote start so I tend to start it for her :)

The seats are on medium, steering wheel heat is on, and the cabin is auto temp of 72. When it is warm out the heats are off and the AC is on as needed.

Using the vagcom I found some cool settings on my wagon I can roll all windows up or down with the remote the seat heaters return to setting when you turn off the car kinda fun little tricks. 
glad you’re liking your new ride 

• Like 2

I really found the Tiguan comfortable to ride in. Wasn’t in the market for 2 expensive vehicles.

But my wife is getting really bad arthritis in her hands and back now. 
Her days of being a manual granny lady are rapidly ending.

She winces with a lot of shifts on bad days! It’s hard to,watch.

A Tiguan would for the bill pretty soon .

She is a dyed in the wool Honda owner though!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...