I need to set up my Dodge for a 5th Wheel. School me

I am going to sell my camper and get a 5th wheel trailer. We need something a little bigger for us and the dogs.

My plan was to install a B&W gooseneck hitch below the bed and then get a 5th wheel hitch to mount in the bed for the trailer. I am looking into this option for two reasons. 1, the truck will be able to move almost anything. It will be set up for campers, bumper pull (Super Hitch), 5th wheel and gooseneck. 2, I don't want anything sticking up in the bed of the truck with everything removed.

Is this the best way to go? Is B&W still the way to go?

Let me know your thoughts.

My new truck came with a 5th wheel hitch like that. It has mounts on the frame below the bed and the hitch is removable on top of the bed. 

I don't use it so we might be able to work out a deal if you are interested. 

I can send you pictures because I know you're not smart enough to visualize it with out them. 🐵

• Haha 3

For your year of truck that is what I would do.. a B&W turn over ball hitch and a companion. 

That are a few other hitch options, like the Reese Goosebox or the Anderson gooseneck adaptor. 

Of there teo I would go with the Goosebox, it it would work with your 5th wheel trailer 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

My new truck came with a 5th wheel hitch like that. It has mounts on the frame below the bed and the hitch is removable on top of the bed. 

I don't use it so we might be able to work out a deal if you are interested. 

I can send you pictures because I know you're not smart enough to visualize it with out them. 🐵

You know me to well. LOL!

Post a picture.

I think the b&w is the stoutest I’m not a fan of Anderson just because my mind won’t let me accept the design is tough enough in an accident I picture trailer coming through the cab. 
I’ve looked into the goosebox having a flatbed it would be nice to get rid of the rails 

IMHO 

David S post above is the best choice to fill your needs 

Floor space being your needs I’m assuming so you’ll be with a 29 ‘ + probably larger unit guessing as smaller won’t give you much more floor space for fur family , just keep in mind state n national parks are not well suited for longer units IN MOST CASES so RV parks are the answer there More $$ per night and neighbors usually closer 

our unit is a 32’A Arctic Fox measures about 34 foot plus pull frame mostly for the same reasons Jake and Rizzi take a bunch of space lol we only use RV parks unless boondocks are in play . I have only found about 3 state parks we can fit in do to very narrow streets with no swing room or short spaces and truck n trailer have no chance of fitting . Same thing holds true with my old fifth wheel that I still have. 

Your new unit being a 5er will swing much tighter than a pull trailer so swing room not as bad but still an issue In state parks but overall length still is an issue to be considered 

hope that helps 

Having a background in repairing trailers.... be very careful with adapting 5th wheel to gooseneck hitches.  The extra leverage plays hell on the pin box and attaching components. Its possible to revamp the structure to run gooseneck, but you will need to pull skin and beef it up.

B&W stuff is the best IMHO.  Turnover ball and companion is a ten minute prep for hauling the ol 5th wheel.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, marksmith said:

Having a background in repairing trailers.... be very careful with adapting 5th wheel to gooseneck hitches.  The extra leverage plays hell on the pin box and attaching components. Its possible to revamp the structure to run gooseneck, but you will need to pull skin and beef it up.

B&W stuff is the best IMHO.  Turnover ball and companion is a ten minute prep for hauling the ol 5th wheel.

Finally someone who backs me up on this thought.   I love the idea, but looking at it from an engineers perspective it isn't a good idea to use those adapters.   

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, marksmith said:

This is what I don’t like about the adapter that attached to kingpin 

so does the goosebox put strain on bad ?

They have a tendency to crack out the kingpin box.  If that is beefed up, it moves down the line.

You are effectively adding 16-18" of leverage to the mix.  With things being manufactured to the minimum standards, it causes issues quickly.

• Thanks 1

My plan is to go with exactly what David posted. Just want to make sure that is the best option.

$479.00 at Etrailers for the bed portion... not bad.

• Like 2

You can find used companion hitch for cheap, just make sure you get one of the newer ones. 

I can show you what to look for.

Usually a couple for sale for under $600

This is way over priced and too far to go but it is a newer one that (should) have stifferners that fit into to corigations of the bed.

My one problem with the companin hitches is 100% on the hitch weight goes onto the bed, and with the size or the footprint of the companion hitch it can deform the bed slightly and have some pivot type movement. The older companion hitched has much smaller feet.

The newer ones are wider and with the stiffeners they distribute the load better so not as much of a problem.

I put plywood down under my 2005 to give a little more surface area, but it was an older companion 

I like the newer systems with the factory pucks, 100% of the weight goes directly to the frame, but that isn't available for your truck

https://bend.craigslist.org/tro/d/powell-butte-bw-fifth-wheel-hitch/7255577776.html

5 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

You know me to well. LOL!

Post a picture.

Sorry, I was working upstairs and then in the shop today and now it's to dark to take good pictures. I will in the morning for sure. 

Yes, a B&W turnover ball and companion hitch is thoroughly proven way to go. 
If you’re not in a hurry I’d get the goose hitch installed, then just watch for a used companion hitch. They come up all the time and aren’t used much. I think I sold mine to Packards42 for $400, looked like brand new. 

19 hours ago, David S said:

I've been using this system for almost 10 years. My original companion base was rated for 18K. When we bought our new RV, GVW 17K, I wanted a bit more safety margin, so I bought the new style base rated at 20K. The same head unit works on both bases. FWIW, my old 18K base is available for cheep, as in "pay it forward", if you can wait until Spring when we get back home.

It's not as fancy as the other one posted here or as beefy, but here it is. 

Price could be right for you though. 

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

B and w companion, anderson ultimate. Or you can swap to a gooseneck box (replaces the kingpin box) the first two options hook to the gooseneck "underbed"

We almost got a 5th wheel, we were onboard with the anderson. It essentially turns the kingpin into a goose ball at the stock height.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

On 1/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bob V said:

For your year of truck that is what I would do.. a B&W turn over ball hitch and a companion. 

That are a few other hitch options, like the Reese Goosebox or the Anderson gooseneck adaptor. 

Of there teo I would go with the Goosebox, it it would work with your 5th wheel trailer 

This ^^^^

I had rails in the bed of my old truck - never again...