I'm on a quest to find a bigger car to stuff my kids into as well as all our junk in the summer when we head to the lake.  It also needs to serve as my commuter rig so mileage is important.  The budget is around $5k, maybe a bit more.

Station wagons seem like a good fit to meet these needs and I've been focused on Passat wagons but I'm seeing a few mid/late 2000's Volvos for sale as well. Admittedly I don't know anything about them, I'd hate to go from the ol' reliable Jetta to something that's going to plague me.  I've started googling and reading but you know how that goes.

I trust your guys opinions and experience on this stuff and welcome any input you may have on Volvo cars from the 2005-2010 era?  Or for that matter, if you have any suggestions on another car that might fit the bill. 

go to fuelly and see how they do. Forget the EPA estimates, the fuelly people typically wring out as much as possible, and also a group of them drive like A$$ and get terrible MPGs so you see both extremes :D

My hunch is, you won't like the economy of the Volvos. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, skyking said:

go to fuelly and see how they do. Forget the EPA estimates, the fuelly people typically wring out as much as possible, and also a group of them drive like A$$ and get terrible MPGs so you see both extremes :D

My hunch is, you won't like the economy of the Volvos. 

Good call Kelly, I hadn’t thought of looking it up there...and I’ve been using Fuelly since day one on my Jetta. 

Volvo's are heavy thirsty cars. 

The old bricks will go thousands of miles, but with a little over 100 horsepower for a nearly two ton car, accelerations is....  "optimistic"....  :right:

I've owned a few bricks with the old red block motors and a few newer ones with the white block's.  For longevity, I prefer the turbo red block cars (2 series, 7 series, and some 9 series).  Good care and feeding will make a white block car go many miles too, the motors are not as rugged though. 

FWIW

Red Block = Iron block and SOHC (They did make a few DOHC red blocks - 740GLI comes to mind)

White Block = Aluminum block and DOHC.

• Thanks 1