New nozzles in the ‘02 Jetta

Ye old Jetta got some new injector nozzles today. I’ve had these sitting around for a while and figured I’d better get them in before I start the commute to work again.

The car has been getting more and more cranky with cold starts including clouds of fuel smoke. The cold development/idle stumbles were pretty bad too.

The swap took about twice as long as it should have but at least it’s done.

Pro tip #1. Rig up a slide hammer with an M14x1.5 nut ahead of time to pull injectors. I didn’t plan that far ahead and had to stop progress to make one.

Pro tip #2. Don’t lose one of the spherical washers for the hold down clamps. After looking for it for an embarrassing amount of time and inventing some new words you’ll have to resort to making a new one.

I was also going to do the hammer mod too but ran out of daylight. I did check my IQ before the swap and it was at 0.8-1.0. So I’ll put a tank or two through with the nozzles and log the mileage before I do the hammer mod.

These are the nozzles I used. I was trying to stay close to stock, this thing already has more power than it needs.

ALH TDI Stock Injector Nozzle Kit P357 MK4 MK3 96-03 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2NGQ5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_lgQ8FbVYM4BPA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They were pretty coked up and had big chunks of carbon hanging on the ends. Surely not burning too clean.

74ee476ecaee3e84a60c91182fe3c408.jpg

Said washer...I’ll probably find the other one next time I’m laying on the shop floor. Or maybe it’ll rattle down to the skid plate.

29c90c9c26d0dc159eecd34f9717c1b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Need to poor the coals to it. That will eat all that carbon.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I regularly use 89 of the available 90 hp. Mostly highway miles as well. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Only 89? lol

With the new nozzles I think I got the other one back, feels like a solid 90 again. 

I all seriousness it does run smoother. I need to burn a tank out with the cruise set to see what the mileage difference is. Although I just put my winter tires on so that’ll impact it. 

Edited by Woodenhead

I’m curious how was it changing the nozzles ? My 06 is pushing 300k acts like you describe yours been thinking about some injector love 

25 minutes ago, J Dansie said:

I’m curious how was it changing the nozzles ? My 06 is pushing 300k acts like you describe yours been thinking about some injector love 

I don’t know if your ‘06 is the same but it really wasn’t difficult. My nozzles came with directions and torque specs for the important stuff. There are plenty of how to YouTube videos too.

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

I don’t know if your ‘06 is the same but it really wasn’t difficult. My nozzles came with directions and torque specs for the important stuff. There are plenty of how to YouTube videos too.

Not sure it’s the Pd motor no injection pump it’s cam run electronic injectors 

10 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Not sure if nozzles are that easy to swap on PD injector.

I guess I need to call industrial injection see if they work on them they are local