in frame overhaul of starter solenoid possible?

it's a 3406 b cat

The title says it all. my shoulders are not up to hoisting one of those 60 lb cat starters up from below by myself, right now I've got a tap on the solenoid to get the thing to start most times. It looks like I can get the solenoid off but I was going to ask the experts.

cool, thank you. Looks like NAPA has it. I brought the truck home to do a little hauling, and if it dies completely I can run one down. 

I looked up the starter and my guess was close, 58 pounds :question:

Looks like I might be able to get it apart and clean it up too, if none are available on the weekend.

Dirks wanted to change the starter when I talked to them over the phone, citing that the armature might be a little cooked. 

cool, thank you. Looks like NAPA has it. I brought the truck home to do a little hauling, and if it dies completely I can run one down. 
I looked up the starter and my guess was close, 58 pounds :question:
Looks like I might be able to get it apart and clean it up too, if none are available on the weekend.
Dirks wanted to change the starter when I talked to them over the phone, citing that the armature might be a little cooked. 
Solenoid would be a easier route to start with as well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Had to get the starter replaced on the side of the road in Alberta last year in the Kenworth T680.

It was pretty cool,watching someone who knew what they were doing.

That truck had  the Cummins X15 engine and an 18 speed..

I wondered why the Inland service truck showed up with 2 guys.

Forgot how awkward it is to wangle a heavy duty starter in close quarters that weighs that much.

When squished in there with your arms wrapped around stuff it feels twice as heavy..

Always nice to have a starter that works as it should..