1 hour ago, leadfoot067 said:

did they give you the adapter?  looks to me like 1 or more of the convertor bolts came out, and were laying in there rubbing that flexplate.  if so the adapter should have been damaged as well.  or did 1 of the adapter to block bolts back out?   hard to say since you couldnt be there to watch the tech do the work..  

They send the warranty parts back for credit - I didnt ask to look at the adapter.  You could see aluminum smearing on the flex plat and it was getting hot (See the blue metal)

1 hour ago, marksmith said:

On an auto truck I wouldn’t worry too much about thrust bearing. 

One sided wear like that could have put stress on the pump bushing, but doubt it did much, if any, damage there either. 

Still trying to wrap my head around the shimming part. 

It felt like I was being bullshitted...  I aint never heard of no shims...

but then again I've never worked on a Cummins Auto truck 

I should have taken a picture of the invoice, they had ordered a LOT of parts - the total was nearly 2 grand with labor.  

warranty covered of course.

On an auto truck I wouldn’t worry too much about thrust bearing. 

One sided wear like that could have put stress on the pump bushing, but doubt it did much, if any, damage there either. 

Still trying to wrap my head around the shimming part. 
I can look into it when I start my new job on the 16th.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

I can look into it when I start my new job on the 16th.

That would be awesome! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I raised the question about the spacer between to cankshaft and flex plate today. I was basically told it has to do with sudden throttle inputs and deceleration not allowing the flex plate to slip on the end of the crankshaft. He also stated that he has replaced a couple flex plates and engine adapters for this same exact failure.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Ok, so I raised the question about the spacer between to crankshaft and flex plate today. I was basically told it has to do with sudden throttle inputs and deceleration not allowing the flex plate to slip on the end of the crankshaft. He also stated that he has replaced a couple flex plates and engine adapters for this same exact failure.

Uhg....  I hope its a once in a lifetime issue...  McChord said it was the first failure like that they'd ever seen...  <yea right>

3 hours ago, marksmith said:

I cannot imagine ANY slippage allowed at the crank/flex plate joint. 

Dampening is the converters job. 

For sure, sounds like he was talking out his butt!   that makes no mechanical sense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, leadfoot067 said:

For sure, sounds like he was talking out his butt!   that makes no mechanical sense whatsoever.

It sounds like he was talking about a dual mass flywheel, how it "absorbs" the speed ups and slow downs power to compression strokes of the diesels