2002 Compound Turbo for towing. Cummins Diesel

Fellow bombers!

I own a 2002 3/4 5.9 CTD.

I bought this truck off a board member back in 2012 (gasitman) and have added some upgrades.

New trans and converter

new yukon 4.10 gears with dura grip posi

spin free kit with steering pump

Edge juice with attitude

Airdog FP-150 lift pump

I tow to places like Neah bay, Sekiu and Westport. This is a 23 foot offshore boat so probably 6-7K on the boat plus trailer.

I like the idea of compound turbos.

Anybody running this combo?

IMG_4933 (1).jpg

Edited by thewelder

If you’re not going larger on injectors, I don’t see the need for anything past an hx35 off a manual truck. 

If you just want to...... same hx35 over a k31 is very nice. Gives a little room for injectors too. 

If you want an off the shelf option have a look at Power Driven Diesel’s towing twin kit. It’s a K27 over a 369 SX-E. I have installed one of these kits and they are very impressive and small enough to be a lot of fun in a manual truck.

https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/ultimate-towing-compound-turbo-kit/

36 minutes ago, thewelder said:

Hey Torque Monkey!

Any idea on what power this kit would produce ?

It looks pretty badass!

Well, I am sure the kit would handle 600 hp easy. The thing is, overall power doesn’t really matter. The kit spools so fast you may have trouble breaking the speedo needle off. That kind of response makes the truck a blast to drive. Bigger turbos aren’t so much fun to drive as they are laggy and don’t respond quick.

• Like 1

I day dream about the stealth hx35 from calibrated power solutions they just released. Supposed to support 500 hp and spool like a hx35. Bolt in option aswell.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well, I am sure the kit would handle 600 hp easy. The thing is, overall power doesn’t really matter. The kit spools so fast you may have trouble breaking the speedo needle off. That kind of response makes the truck a blast to drive. Bigger turbos aren’t so much fun to drive as they are laggy and don’t respond quick.
Kinda like DD a 66 single.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, thewelder said:

Follow bombers!

I own a 2002 3/4 5.9 CTD.

I bought this truck off a board member back in 2012 (gasitman) and have added some upgrades.

New trans and converter

new yukon 4.10 gears with dura grip posi

spin free kit with steering pump

Edge juice with attitude

Airdog FP-150 lift pump

I tow to places like Neah bay, Sekiu and Westport. This is a 23 foot offshore boat so probably 6-7K on the boat plus trailer.

I like the idea of compound turbos.

Anybody running this combo?

IMG_4933 (1).jpg

Thats a good looking truck! You are treating her right!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, GTroyer said:

What power level are you after or thinking about getting to ?

I want to have a little fun but also want to keep it reliable and EGT's low to prevent any damage. 

Towing around the NW has it's challenges from all the hills and curves, slowing down for pot holes...etc.

is it possible to make a honest 600HP and 1000 torque?

I'm new to this a little bit.

For a VP truck .. yes it’s possible but in truth on the outer end of reliability of the platform AND not a good tower in that configuration 

your tranny will need major improvements , your fueling needs help all the way from tank to and including injectors , obviously with air improvements as you have asked about. Big $$$$ for failed usefulness. 

Again for a VP injection system your asking at or very near the top of what it can produce and keeping things in prospective for towing not a good idea IMHO 

i have been there and failed at a good tower with big power , they just don’t do well together .. luckily you have a automatic if you were a manual tranny I would highly recommend not doing what you are thinking about do to loosing torque in the shifting process especially in mountainous conditions and even further taxing the tow enjoyable drive. Yes you can make it work but having BTDT I strongly suggest keeping it in the 350-400 range again using it as a tower. If primary goal is horsepower then go for it but expect big compromise on towing

just one man’s opinion here

Edited by GTroyer
  • Like 2

Lots of solid advice here, beyond what I have to offer. 
My boat is 12,000lbs on the trailer. My truck being a 12V manual with an HX40/3B (dinosaur technology) is not a good comparison but I can say this.
1. Having 600hp in a 2nd gen means nothing when towing aside from throwing $$ away for a little bit of unloaded fun and potential to break stuff. Put the $$ towards towing and efficiency improvements. Based on boost numbers I only ever use about 300-350hp when towing (hills), maybe 400 for a second.

2. I’ve never had to worry about EGTs since installing twins/compounds. I agree this is a good direction for a tow rig but that’s old news these days. 
3. Laggy twins are definitely less fun, this is my life. 
4. Gary, that’s the first time I’ve heard anyone say you’re better off with an automatic vs a manual in a 2nd gen for hp and towing. I feel so out of touch these days lol. 

Edited by Woodenhead
  • Like 1

Best towing number I had with a VP truck was when it was at 430 HP.

I never had that power with the twins on. I wish I would have just to see what it was like. 

If your going tow I would really suggest a smaller kit like Ben pointed out. Getting temps down early will make the VP power much more useable.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

For a VP truck .. yes it’s possible but in truth on the outer end of reliability of the platform AND not a good tower in that configuration

^^

This

From someone that's towed a 25 footer to Sekiu many times in a big twin turbo truck... 

You may be able to make it work, but you will have less reliability and spent enough for a decent down payment on a new truck.

I appreciate the info guys.

So if i gathering this all correctly.

Compound turbo is really a reliable option if the size is kept in check.

Otherwise reliability becomes an issue?

Or is are twins generally not reliable?

I have no desire to buy a new or new me truck at this point in time. I like my 24 valve.

I appreciate the info guys.

So if i gathering this all correctly.

Compound turbo is really a reliable option if the size is kept in check.

Otherwise reliability becomes an issue?

Or is are twins generally not reliable?
I have no desire to buy a new or new me truck at this point in time. I like my 24 valve.
Reliabilty of the engine itself. If you push it too the max all the time evert day, things wear out faster and fail causing down time and having to constantly work on your truck. I you do a modest set of compounds and support mods to match it that will keep your power in a conservative range, the realiability will be much better than if you go all out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mike .. ONLY when pulling constant hills type pulling , the manual is better overall but not necessarily when your packing a bunch of higher HP. And large to medium twins AGAIN MHO

I’ve driven high HP trucks with autos and much more usable in mountains when pulling up the hills but definitely not overall .. imho lots of trade offs too much power and pulling is a PIA as to drivability

nice in certain instances but not overall 

big injectors/larger turbos/varying topography = not fun

I have also liked manuals for towing. Less rpm drop between gears (6 speed) and as long as the driver is paying attention, mountains aren’t an issue. 

Having said that.... we are talking 47re vs 6spd manual. 

2007.5+ trucks are a different animal. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, marksmith said:

I have also liked manuals for towing. Less rpm drop between gears (6 speed) and as long as the driver is paying attention, mountains aren’t an issue. 

Having said that.... we are talking 47re vs 6spd manual. 

2007.5+ trucks are a different animal. 

That’s how I see it as well. Just leave the 5600 out of 6th when she’s loaded heavy and everything will be alright. 

11 hours ago, thewelder said:

are twins generally not reliable?

The turbo's themselves are super reliable. 

It's what they do to your tranny, drive line, clutch, etc...  In 150K miles of having twins, the tranny (NV4500) and Dana 80 rear diff were pretty much shot.  I went through three South Bend clutches at the same time, most of the failures were splines or springs, not clutch material...  Twisted an input shaft in there somewhere too..  Are twins bad to tow with??  Nah...  But a 400hp single turbo truck is nicer to tow with.

11 hours ago, Big Russ said:

The turbo's themselves are super reliable. 

It's what they do to your tranny, drive line, clutch, etc...  In 150K miles of having twins, the tranny (NV4500) and Dana 80 rear diff were pretty much shot.  I went through three South Bend clutches at the same time, most of the failures were splines or springs, not clutch material...  Twisted an input shaft in there somewhere too..  Are twins bad to tow with??  Nah...  But a 400hp single turbo truck is nicer to tow with.

I have been through several clutches. Finally Peter got me one that won’t break.

• Like 1