I have found someone to move my trailer PROBLEM SOLVED, I need someone to drive my Pete, to bring my toy hauler home.

Howdy All,

I FOUND SOMEONE TO MOVE MY TRAILER, HELP NO LONGER NEEDED.

What can I say, this getting old ain't for sissys.  My trailer is now at the Mt.Vernon Poulsbo RV shop, the slide is being repaired and it will need to be picked up and brought to my home a couple of miles from Granite Falls, just off of the Jordan Rd.  As my truck is NOT a truck and is a legal motor home one does NOT need a CDL to drive it.  However this is a full size tandem axle truck, my toy hauler is 45 feet long, so if your not familiar with such a vehicle this job is not for you.

The trailer repair should be completed within the next 5-15 days, today's date is October 11th 2020.  This is what needs to be done, drive the truck from my home up to Mt Vernon, hitch up to the trailer, drag it to my home and BACK it about 100 yards into its parking spot at my home.  The drive has a slight UP HILL grade for about 75 feet, the driveway has a slight curve, the driveway is about 15 feet wide, there are TREES on both side of the driveway. I have done this so many times if I wasn't in such pain I could darn near do it blindfolded however it is something that is a challenge the first time doing it. 

Here's a photo of the truck-trailer so you have an idea of what your getting yourself into.  Over all lenght is 72 feet.

If this is something you are confident you can do and wouldn't mind helping an old gimped up guy with, I sure would appreciate it.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
kuz ikant sqel

I’d be there in a heartbeat to help you Dave. Piece of cake for me. But I don’t think there is any way with this crappy Covid thing  that I can  get across the border and back .

If anyone has any ideas how I can do that properly in a legal method let me know..

Dave I would love to help but I have never driven a rig like that before. 

I've been to Dave's place and he is completely right his driveway isn't for someone that has little to no experience doing the backing up part.

His driveway is a real test.

I haven't backed up enough truck and trailer rigs to be comfortable enough to agree to towing it.

How about a real tow truck company? Just have them pick up and deliver the trailer? Something goes wrong their insured.

• Like 1

His driveway is no joke! I have put some big horse trailers in some tight spots before but nothing like his toy hauler.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The longer they are, the easier they back up... 

I've backed up my buddies 38' toy hauler and it was a BREEZE compared to backing a drift boat into the water... 

Each to their own...

• Like 1
The longer they are, the easier they back up... 

I've backed up my buddies 38' toy hauler and it was a BREEZE compared to backing a drift boat into the water... 

Each to their own...
I agree completely!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Howdy All,

Thanks for all the replies to my post.  I knew going into this that there probably wouldn't be someone in the area that would be interested in doing this but I thought it was worth a shot to ask.  I have been in consultation with the doctors and will be working on getting the surgery done at the Harbor View hospital, hopefully within the next couple of weeks  month at most.  I need to be recovered enough to drive to southern Arizona where we will be spending some time this winter. 

I have gotten pretty darn good at putting that trailer in some very tight spots, if you have ever arrived at a truck stop any later then 6:PM you know their lots a usually full and the few spots left open can be very narrow because of the way some lazy drivers park.  I remember stopping for the night at the truck stop in La Grand OR about two years ago, I had only been driving the Pete at that time for about 4,000 miles so I was still getting used to how it backed the trailer.  I drove though the lot a couple of times and found a spot between a nice shiny Kenworth, and even prettier Pete, I got out of the truck gave the spot a good look over, set myself up the back in and did the deed.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of folks who complimented my back in job on the CB, it was late I assumed most drivers were asleep but at least ten drivers said job well done.

Thanks again.

Dave

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jcasper said:

If I was closer I’d do it.  But with my truck as I am no truck driver but can put any trailer where it needs to go with my truck.  

I would also - the trailer isnt such a big deal, but I've never driven a vehicle with air brakes.  If my tanker yanker brother lived closer, I'd drive him up.

Howdy All,

My trailer can be towed with a smaller truck, however the problem doing so is this, I don't have the regular extended pin box, my pin sits straight down that means that the front of my trailer is two feet closer to the cab of a regular truck.  As the pin is now two feet further back under the nose of the trailer hitching up to a regular truck unless it had a flat bed would cause problems when going around corners.  Here's a couple of photos that will show you what I am talking about.

These photos are of my old truck and old trailer, the new trailer also has a straight down pin box that I built and the hitch is in the same position on the Pete.

This is what the stock extended pin box looked like, this pin box would work in a regular truck.

IMG_1104

This is how the pin box is now, notice how the trailer has moved forward.

IMG_1202

This is the hitch on the Pete, note it is at the rear of the bed.

3/4 view from the rear.  The ramps are stored in a box under the light panels.

This the trailer hitched to the Pete, note where the front of the trailer is, with the trailer hitched and the Smart Car, loaded on the deck the truck can still be turned 90 degrees to the trailer with no interference.

IMG_4281-600x217.jpg

The reason I built and use the straight down pin box is because it makes the over all lenght of the truck-trailer two feet shorter, it also takes a lot of stress off of the front of the trailer frame.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

My trailer can be towed with a smaller truck, however the problem doing so is this, I don't have the regular extended pin box, my pin sits straight down that means that the front of my trailer is two feet closer to the cab of a regular truck.  As the pin is now two feet further back under the nose of the trailer hitching up to a regular truck unless it had a flat bed would cause problems when going around corners.  Here's a couple of photos that will show you what I am talking about.

These photos are of my old truck and old trailer, the new trailer also has a straight down pin box that I built and the hitch is in the same position on the Pete.

This is what the stock extended pin box looked like, this pin box would work in a regular truck.

IMG_1104

This is how the pin box is now, notice how the trailer has moved forward.

IMG_1202

This is the hitch on the Pete, note it is at the rear of the bed.

3/4 view from the rear.  The ramps are stored in a box under the light panels.

This the trailer hitched to the Pete, note where the front of the trailer is, with the trailer hitched and the Smart Car, loaded on the deck the truck can still be turned 90 degrees to the trailer with no interference.

IMG_4281-600x217.jpg

The reason I built and use the straight down pin box is because it makes the over all lenght of the truck-trailer two feet shorter, it also takes a lot of stress off of the front of the trailer frame.

Dave

Again wish I was closer could drive yours or use mine. Look up Bennett truck transport out of Pendleton Oregon they have rv haulers all over maybe have a driver with the right truck that could move it and would be fully insured 

Edited by J Dansie

Howdy All,

I want to again thank everyone who offered advice on my situation, I have found a fellow HDT-RV hauler who only lives about 15 miles from who has kindly offered to help me move the trailer.  I went to the HDT forum, posted up an SOS as I did here and three different people who live within 50 miles of me offered to move the trailer, I had no idea other HDT'ers live so close to me now I'll have the chance to make three more friends.  So again, thank you all.

Dave

• mr. cob changed the title to I have found someone to move my trailer PROBLEM SOLVED, I need someone to drive my Pete, to bring my toy hauler home.
3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I want to again thank everyone who offered advice on my situation, I have found a fellow HDT-RV hauler who only lives about 15 miles from who has kindly offered to help me move the trailer.  I went to the HDT forum, posted up an SOS as I did here and three different people who live within 50 miles of me offered to move the trailer, I had no idea other HDT'ers live so close to me now I'll have the chance to make three more friends.  So again, thank you all.

Dave

That's great.  Glad you found someone.    Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I am so glad you found a competent driver to move your trailer! 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery I wish you the best for a speedy and complete recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!